|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Bryant feel about Burr?
2. From where do terms such as "citizen" and "citizeness" embraced by early Americans come?
3. According to Burr, what did the Whigs want in the Revolutionary War?
4. In Burr's divorce from Eliza, whom does Eliza hire as her attorney?
5. What does Jefferson believe should be done with slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the role that yellow fever plays in the book.
2. Describe the differences between Thomas Jefferson and Burr's interpretations of Burr's political actions.
3. Describe how other nations react to early America as a new governing nation and how France's revolution impacts the US.
4. What does Mrs. Rosanna Townsend tell Charlie when he presses for information on his visit?
5. Describe what happens after Alexander Hamilton has an affair with Mrs. James Reynolds?
6. What do Leggett and Mr. Bryant want Charlie to use his relationship with Burr to do and why?
7. Describe Burr's law career according to the notes that Charlie receives from Davis.
8. Describe the different ways that Washington and others believe that he should be addressed. Explain any reasoning behind these titles.
9. What is the result of the Presidential election of 1800 and how is the decision made?
10. How does Burr persuade Jefferson to run for President with Burr as his Vice President?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay evaluating the role of memory as a theme in the novel. How does memory affect plot development?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring the role of deception in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay exploring the idea of matchmaking, such as Burr getting Dolley and James Madison together, as a metaphor for political matchmaking or appointments.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)