|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During a 1793 meeting with Jefferson, what does Burr say about Hamilton's military record?
(a) He thinks Hamilton is a coward.
(b) He believes it is dismal.
(c) He admires it.
(d) He doesn't know about it.
2. When Mrs. James Reynolds blackmails Alexander Hamilton, how does he respond?
(a) He pays with a loan from his son.
(b) He does not pay her.
(c) He pays with the U.S. Treasury money.
(d) He pays with a loan from his father.
3. Which of the following is evidence that Burr's proposal to Madame Jumel was not spontaneous?
(a) Burr is already living with Madame Jumel.
(b) Madame Jumel's children reveal Burr's plan.
(c) Madame Jumel has postponed her trip abroad.
(d) Madame Jumel's cook is fixing a wedding feast.
4. What does John Adams tell Burr about Jefferson's motivations?
(a) He says Jefferson intends to promote himself by stirring the people against Adams.
(b) He says Jefferson intends to promote himself by stirring the people against Burr.
(c) He says Jefferson intends to promote himself by stirring the people against Hamilton.
(d) He says Jefferson intends to promote himself by stirring the people against France.
5. What has Richmond House been converted into since it is no longer a residence?
(a) A bakery.
(b) A church.
(c) A theater.
(d) A brothel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Burr initially feel about becoming a political leader?
2. How old is Burr when he marries Madame Jumel?
3. What is Burr's lasting malady from his stroke?
4. How does Helen convince Mrs. Townsend to let her live with Charlie?
5. What does Burr tell Charlie to tell Mrs. Burr when she arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Rosanna Townsend tell Charlie when he presses for information on his visit?
2. How does Burr persuade Jefferson to run for President with Burr as his Vice President?
3. According to the notes that Burr provides to Charlie and Davis, why does Burr not receive a promotion sooner or to a higher position?
4. Describe the role that yellow fever plays in the book.
5. When does Burr first meet James Madison, and what are the circumstances?
6. Describe the differences between Thomas Jefferson and Burr's interpretations of Burr's political actions.
7. Who makes up Publius and what is their purpose?
8. Describe the accounting of Burr and Hamilton's duel that Burr gives when Leggett presses him for details.
9. How do Charlie and Helen persuade Mrs. Townsend to allow Helen to leave the brothel, and how does Charlie feel about her presence when she first starts living with him?
10. Describe the events surrounding the trial of Levi Weeks.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)