|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What holiday is being celebrated when Swartwout comes to visit Charlie on his consulship?
(a) The Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
(b) The Feast of Corpus Christi.
(c) The Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
(d) The Feast of the Ascension of Our Lord.
2. On what grounds does Burr ask Jefferson for the personal favor of getting him a position in his administration?
(a) He blackmails Jefferson.
(b) He gave Jefferson's cousin a position.
(c) He helped Jefferson secure the presidency.
(d) He has helped Jefferson succeed in his agendas.
3. How does the case against Burr for the misdemeanor of invading Mexico turn out?
(a) He is found not guilty.
(b) He is never tried.
(c) He is found guilty.
(d) The trial ends with no resolution.
4. What does Mrs. Townsend tell Charlie about Helen's feelings towards him?
(a) She says Helen was very unhappy living with him.
(b) She says Helen used to love him.
(c) She says Helen is manipulative.
(d) She says Helen missed him.
5. When talking to Merry, what does Burr refrain from doing?
(a) Committing himself to breaking up the union.
(b) Asking for the help of the British Navy.
(c) Telling Merry that the western states have the right to secede.
(d) Agreeing to liberate the colonial people from Spain.
6. What flaw in the Constitution does Burr find important but refuse to tell Jefferson?
(a) That the power given to the President is too great.
(b) That the states are controlled to tightly.
(c) That the states have the right to nullify federal law or secede.
(d) hat the power of the Judiciary system is not strong enough.
7. What is the name of the professor of phrenology who visits Charlie and Helen?
(a) Reginald Gower.
(b) Richard Robinson.
(c) Sam Swartwout.
(d) George Fuller.
8. How does Jefferson feel about states' rights?
(a) He believes them to be a necessary evil.
(b) He supports them.
(c) He thinks they are unneccesary.
(d) He opposes them.
9. How does Jefferson treat past promises he has made to Burr once he becomes President?
(a) He goes above and beyond to honor them.
(b) He refuses to honor them.
(c) He tries to accomodate of them.
(d) He relunctantly honors them.
10. After telling Jefferson what is going on in the West, for what does Burr ask Jefferson's permission?
(a) To go to Europe to negotiate with Merry.
(b) To raise an army with Wilkinson to liberate Mexico.
(c) To send the Navy to Spain.
(d) To separate from Wilkinson.
11. What does Swartwout suggest that Charlie do rather than publish anything harmful to Burr?
(a) Sell Helen's jewelry.
(b) Sell his book to a publisher.
(c) Receive donations from his friends.
(d) Sell their child when Helen gives birth.
12. Why does Helen return to Mrs. Townsend's?
(a) Charlie kicks her out.
(b) She leaves Charlie.
(c) Charlie cannot afford to support her.
(d) Charlie tells her to make some money.
13. The plot to liberate Texas from Mexico, also included the plan to allow Texas to claim what areas?
(a) The Louisiana Territory.
(c) The Floridas.
(d) The Californias.
14. Before Burr has committed treason, what does Jefferson tell the western governors to do?
(a) Arrest Wilkinson.
(b) Find and protect Burr.
(c) Be on guard for the traitorous Burr.
(d) Kill Burr.
15. In Burr's treason trial, who determines that a President can be called into court?
(a) Nelson Chase.
(b) John Marshall.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the verdict against the actual murderer in the case where Charlie was originally accused?
2. Willing to abandon all thoughts of Mexico, for what does Burr ask Jefferson?
3. In the first week of August in 1806, where does Burr travel?
4. Where do Burr and Charlie discuss the duel of Burr and Hamilton?
5. Why did Burr and Hamilton whisper during the duel?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)