|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who yells from the hallway later on in the first scene, trying to get someone's attention?
2. What does the Flying Dutchman's love do which breaks the curse imposed upon him?
3. Burton remarks about how fickle the _____________ can be in Canada during this time of year.
4. What has Anna not been able to do in a few days, so she is feeling stiff and out of sorts?
5. What does Anna become upset that Robbie's family did not know about him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Larry admit Anna has been working on when Burton asks Larry about her relationship with Pale?
2. Why are Pale's wife and kids in Coral Gables and not with him in his life in town?
3. To what story does Larry equates Burton's writing and motivation?
4. When Anna asks Larry how long he has been smoking, what does Larry reply?
5. When Anna asks Pale how he could marry someone he felt nothing for, how does he respond?
6. What did Larry give to Pale when Larry stopped by the bar earlier?
7. What does Anna say the difference between a glass and a flute is when Burton asks?
8. What are some of the things that Larry reveals he was told not to put on the Chrysler Christmas card he is designing?
9. What is the reasoning Anna gives for having spent a lot of money on the new flutes?
10. What is on the message that Burton leaves for Anna on the answering machine before she picks it up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burton is generally a science fiction writer but has recently turned to a love story as the focus of his next screenplay.
Part 1: Why do you think Burton decided to write a love story as opposed to his normal writing?
Part 2: Why do you think Burton is embarrassed about his new writing?
Part 3: Do you think writers should try to have just one genre in which to focus their writing or should the be more varied in the things they write?
Essay Topic 2
Anna points out that she has been working nonstop lately, as though she has so much creative work to do, choreography, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is working nonstop? What might be driving her to do so?
Part 2: Why do you think a person can suddenly have a fit of creative inspiration? Do you think this is realistic?
Part 3: What other explanations might there be for Anna's sudden time away from others?
Essay Topic 3
Part of the pain that Anna feels is due to the fact that Robbie's family didn't know anything about his sexuality.
Part 1: Why do you think Robbie's family didn't know about his sexuality?
Part 2: Why do you think this revelation affects Anna in the way that it does?
Part 3: Do you think Robbie's family actually knew the truth? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,130 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)