|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anna wrap herself in when she starts screaming about the butterflies coming to life?
2. Who is Anna's other roommate who bursts in the door, trying to find out why she hasn't picked up the phone?
3. Pale informs Anna that he does not like ___________ and every time Anna leaves one he feels like he heard her the first time.
4. Who yells from the hallway later on in the first scene, trying to get someone's attention?
5. ______________ chides Anna by asking why she does not just go ahead and marry Burton for the money.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anna so upset when she is sitting on the couch by herself after Robbie's wake?
2. What does Anna tell Pale when he moves to put his hand underneath her robe when they are on the couch?
3. Who does Pale think is involved in the deaths of Robbie and of Dominic?
4. When Burton describes Hollywood as a bunch of whores, what is Larry's response to this assessment?
5. What does Burton reveal about the play that he is writing, though he does not seem to think it is viable?
6. Describe the characters of Burton and Anna when the second act of the play begins?
7. What happens when Burton calls Pale "Jimmy" instead of by his name Pale?
8. What does Larry admit Anna has been working on when Burton asks Larry about her relationship with Pale?
9. When Anna asks Pale how he could marry someone he felt nothing for, how does he respond?
10. Why did Burton take a job at eighteen as a messenger delivering to various homes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna points out that she has been working nonstop lately, as though she has so much creative work to do, choreography, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is working nonstop? What might be driving her to do so?
Part 2: Why do you think a person can suddenly have a fit of creative inspiration? Do you think this is realistic?
Part 3: What other explanations might there be for Anna's sudden time away from others?
Essay Topic 2
The reference to "The Flying Dutchman" is a curious one, as it seems to reference a feeling of love and loss - as everyone is feeling now.
Part 1: Why do you think Larry decided to tell Burton the story of the Flying Dutchman?
Part 2: How do you think the story of the Flying Dutchman relates to the characters in the story?
Part 3: How do myths like these affect the way we see our own lives?
Essay Topic 3
Anna notes that she doesn't really notice her biological clock as she and Burton begin to talk about living together. Anna is insistent too about staying where she is.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna does not know what to think about her biological clock?
Part 2: Why do you think Anna just wants to stay in the loft where she already lives?
Part 3: Do you think that Anna wants to marry Burton? Why or why not?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)