|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Larry rejects the idea that Hollywood is a bunch of whores, saying that his job as a(n) ______________ makes him a whore as well.
2. What causes Anna to finally get up from where she is sitting to answer the door?
3. What is the name of Robbie's lover as revealed at the start of this scene?
4. Who is the dancer who is sitting on the couch at the start of the first act of this play?
5. What is the genre in which Burton focuses most of his work for Hollywood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Anna when she is sleeping in the bedroom of the one of the nephews in Robbie's family?
2. Describe the characters of Burton and Anna when the second act of the play begins?
3. Why is Anna surprised to see Pale come to her loft after the death of Robbie?
4. Why did Burton take a job at eighteen as a messenger delivering to various homes?
5. What happens when Burton calls Pale "Jimmy" instead of by his name Pale?
6. Where is the loud noise that distracts Pale coming from when he is in Larry and Anna's apartment?
7. What is the news that Burton learns upon arriving in Anna's apartment at the start of the play?
8. What is Burton's profession, as revealed at the start of the play?
9. When Pale meets Larry, he says that he does not remember seeing Larry at the wake. What does Larry respond?
10. What happened between the man and Burton that Burton encountered when he was walking home drunk at the age of 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna points out that she is angry for not being able to have a proper goodbye with Robbie as she is talking to Larry.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is angry about not getting a proper goodbye from Robbie?
Part 2: What do you think the importance of that final goodbye is for Anna?
Part 3: How do you think Anna could have had a proper goodbye with Robbie while at the wake?
Essay Topic 2
Part of the pain that Anna feels is due to the fact that Robbie's family didn't know anything about his sexuality.
Part 1: Why do you think Robbie's family didn't know about his sexuality?
Part 2: Why do you think this revelation affects Anna in the way that it does?
Part 3: Do you think Robbie's family actually knew the truth? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Burton admits easily that as long as he continues to be paid for his work, he doesn't care what Hollywood does with his scripts.
Part 1: Why do you think Burton is focused more on money than on art?
Part 2: Do you think it's a bad thing to enjoy getting paid for your art? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you have more or less respect for Burton after he says he just likes to get paid? Why?
This section contains 2,099 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)