|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The new piece that Burton is writing is a ____________, something with which he is not entirely comfortable.
2. Who is Anna's other roommate who bursts in the door, trying to find out why she hasn't picked up the phone?
3. What does Pale ask Anna for after going into yet another long rant about the city and people who live in it?
4. What has Anna turned to in order to find solace while she had the phone turned off during the day?
5. What does Anna point out to Burton as he is talking about his new work, though he is not convinced of his direction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Burton take a job at eighteen as a messenger delivering to various homes?
2. When Anna asks Larry how long he has been smoking, what does Larry reply?
3. Why does Pale decide to take off his shoes when in Anna's apartment a month after Robbie's death?
4. Why did Anna sign up for a dance class, as she admits to Larry when they are talking?
5. What holiday is it when the second act of the play begins at 2:00AM?
6. When Pale meets Larry, he says that he does not remember seeing Larry at the wake. What does Larry respond?
7. What happens when Larry goes over to the bathroom to check up on Pale to see how he is doing?
8. What does Burton say that he misses about women's clothing as he helps Anna with her dress?
9. What does Burton have to say when Anna makes a comment about getting too personal?
10. Why does Anna have to stay in the house of Robbie's family after the wake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anna points out that Burton's play is quite sad, but he thought the characters were having fun.
Part 1: Why do you think Burton and Anna have two different interpretations of the same text?
Part 2: Who is likely the person who is getting the meaning of the play right? Why?
Part 3: Do you think that Burton is upset with the fact that Anna doesn't have the same reaction to his play as he expected? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Anna has put herself into solitude because of Robbie's death, not answering the door or the phone, drinking her days and nights away.
Part 1: Do you think Anna was dealing with the death in a positive way? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Anna's roommate hasn't tried to stop her drinking?
Part 3: Why do you think Anna believes alcohol is the only way to stop her feelings of pain and grief?
Essay Topic 3
Part of the pain that Anna feels is due to the fact that Robbie's family didn't know anything about his sexuality.
Part 1: Why do you think Robbie's family didn't know about his sexuality?
Part 2: Why do you think this revelation affects Anna in the way that it does?
Part 3: Do you think Robbie's family actually knew the truth? Why or why not?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)