|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Larry decides to tell Anna about the Christmas card he has to design for _____________.
2. How many years had it been since Robbie had even seen his parents, showing just how distant they'd become?
3. Who decides to take Anna back to the bus station, glad to be rid of her and her presence in Robbie's family's home?
4. Burton remarks about how fickle the _____________ can be in Canada during this time of year.
5. What does the Flying Dutchman's love do which breaks the curse imposed upon him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Burton's profession, as revealed at the start of the play?
2. Why does Anna have to stay in the house of Robbie's family after the wake?
3. Why are Pale's wife and kids in Coral Gables and not with him in his life in town?
4. What does Anna tell Pale when he offers to make her tea and breakfast?
5. Where is the loud noise that distracts Pale coming from when he is in Larry and Anna's apartment?
6. When Pale meets Larry, he says that he does not remember seeing Larry at the wake. What does Larry respond?
7. What holiday is it when the second act of the play begins at 2:00AM?
8. When Anna asks Pale how he could marry someone he felt nothing for, how does he respond?
9. What is the reasoning Anna gives for having spent a lot of money on the new flutes?
10. What were the main focuses of Robbie, according to Anna when she is talking with Larry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pale seems to be a person who can not stay on one topic for a very long time as he first talks to Anna.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna continues to talk to Pale, even though he is scattered?
Part 2: Why do you think Pale continues to change the subject while talking with Anna?
Part 3: Do you think that Pale and Anna are a realistic couple? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Anna and Pale seem to have a sexual relationship in this story, even though they don't seem to have much in common or even want to date each other.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna and Pale cling to each other in this story?
Part 2: Do you think it's realistic for Pale to be attracted to Anna? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think it's realistic for Anna to be attracted to Pale? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Anna is also upset about the idea that Robbie's family never saw him dance, which was his one true passion.
Part 1: Why do you think Robbie never shared with his family his dancing?
Part 2: Do you think you would hide some of your talents from your family? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Robbie's family deserved to see him dance? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,094 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)