|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Anna not been able to do in a few days, so she is feeling stiff and out of sorts?
2. Burton decides to leave as he wants to type up notes for his _______________ before heading to a dinner meeting.
3. What does Anna wrap herself in when she starts screaming about the butterflies coming to life?
4. What is the "real" name of Pale that he reveals to Anna though few people actually call him this?
5. Pale compares Robbie to other guys by claiming that most guys are __________, but Robbie was light.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Larry remind Burton about the money that Burton receives for the scripts he writers?
2. What is the news that Burton learns upon arriving in Anna's apartment at the start of the play?
3. According to Pale, why does he hate messages and small pieces of paper?
4. What is the reasoning Anna gives for having spent a lot of money on the new flutes?
5. What does Pale have to say when Larry asks him if he and his wife have gotten a divorce?
6. What does Larry reveal he has been doing that evening while Anna and Burton were at their social engagement?
7. Why is Anna so upset when she is sitting on the couch by herself after Robbie's wake?
8. When Pale meets Larry, he says that he does not remember seeing Larry at the wake. What does Larry respond?
9. What holiday is it when the second act of the play begins at 2:00AM?
10. Describe the characters of Burton and Anna when the second act of the play begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The reference to "The Flying Dutchman" is a curious one, as it seems to reference a feeling of love and loss - as everyone is feeling now.
Part 1: Why do you think Larry decided to tell Burton the story of the Flying Dutchman?
Part 2: How do you think the story of the Flying Dutchman relates to the characters in the story?
Part 3: How do myths like these affect the way we see our own lives?
Essay Topic 2
Anna has put herself into solitude because of Robbie's death, not answering the door or the phone, drinking her days and nights away.
Part 1: Do you think Anna was dealing with the death in a positive way? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think Anna's roommate hasn't tried to stop her drinking?
Part 3: Why do you think Anna believes alcohol is the only way to stop her feelings of pain and grief?
Essay Topic 3
Part of the pain that Anna feels is due to the fact that Robbie's family didn't know anything about his sexuality.
Part 1: Why do you think Robbie's family didn't know about his sexuality?
Part 2: Why do you think this revelation affects Anna in the way that it does?
Part 3: Do you think Robbie's family actually knew the truth? Why or why not?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)