|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Larry chides Burton about where there will be _____________ in his new work.
2. What does Larry decide to put on the card instead of any of the typical Christmas symbols?
3. Robbie once thought Anna would make a good _________, and she admits to Pale that she likes it.
4. What did the nephews spend all afternoon doing while the adults attended the wake?
5. On this card, there can not be anything _____________ as not everyone celebrates Christmas in the same way.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Anna sign up for a dance class, as she admits to Larry when they are talking?
2. What does Burton have to say in response to Pale's comment/question about whether she is sleeping with Burton, too?
3. What did Larry give to Pale when Larry stopped by the bar earlier?
4. What is Anna's explanation as to why she hasn't responded to Larry all day?
5. What does Anna have to say about her work when Burton asks her some questions about her life?
6. When Anna asks Pale how he could marry someone he felt nothing for, how does he respond?
7. According to Pale, why does he hate messages and small pieces of paper?
8. What happens when Burton calls Pale "Jimmy" instead of by his name Pale?
9. How does Larry enter the scene on this New Year's Day/New Year's Eve in the second act?
10. What is on the message that Burton leaves for Anna on the answering machine before she picks it up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea that Larry has to come up with a Christmas card that doesn't offend anyone becomes a late night topic of discussion.
Part 1: Do you think anything can ever be completely unoffensive? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that Larry's coworkers thought his comment about homosexuals was a joke?
Part 3: Why do you think the company wanted the card to be as unoffensive as possible?
Essay Topic 2
Part of the pain that Anna feels is due to the fact that Robbie's family didn't know anything about his sexuality.
Part 1: Why do you think Robbie's family didn't know about his sexuality?
Part 2: Why do you think this revelation affects Anna in the way that it does?
Part 3: Do you think Robbie's family actually knew the truth? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Anna points out that Burton's play is quite sad, but he thought the characters were having fun.
Part 1: Why do you think Burton and Anna have two different interpretations of the same text?
Part 2: Who is likely the person who is getting the meaning of the play right? Why?
Part 3: Do you think that Burton is upset with the fact that Anna doesn't have the same reaction to his play as he expected? Why or why not?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)