|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Curse words fly as Pale continues to talk about trying to find a ___________ when he is talking with Anna.
2. From where has Burton just arrived, having just ended his trip there to come back to see Anna?
3. Anna offers Pale coffee, though he would clearly prefer ___________ as a beverage.
4. Larry asks Burton what he thinks of the treatment that Hollywood gives to his _____________.
5. What is the name of the women that the Flying Dutchman meets and who falls in love with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Larry remind Burton about the money that Burton receives for the scripts he writers?
2. What happens to Anna when she is sleeping in the bedroom of the one of the nephews in Robbie's family?
3. What does Pale want to drink the next morning when Larry offers him a tea?
4. What does Anna think they should do with Robbie's mail when Larry asks her what they should do with his mail?
5. What does Anna reveal about Pale's ideas about what happened to Robbie and to Dominic?
6. Why does Pale decide to take off his shoes when in Anna's apartment a month after Robbie's death?
7. What is on the message that Burton leaves for Anna on the answering machine before she picks it up?
8. When Anna asks Larry how long he has been smoking, what does Larry reply?
9. What is Anna's explanation as to why she hasn't responded to Larry all day?
10. Why does Anna have to stay in the house of Robbie's family after the wake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The introduction of the death of a good friend is the opening of this play, with a visibly-shaken Anna showing her grief.
Part 1: Why do you think death is used so often in literature as the main theme of a piece of writing?
Part 2: How do you think Anna would have reacted to the death had it not been a personal friend of hers?
Part 3: How do you think you would react to the death of a close friend?
Essay Topic 2
Burton makes the statement that life is about getting too personal, taking what is personal and making it the truth.
Part 1: Why do you think Burton feels so strongly about getting too personal?
Part 2: How does one take something that is personal and make it a truth?
Part 3: Why do you think that one should write "burn this" on something that is personal that has become a truth?
Essay Topic 3
Larry points out that he was not invited to the wake when Pale makes a comment about Larry being a replacement for Robbie.
Part 1: Do you think anyone should be able to go to a wake? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that Larry was not invited to the wake of Robbie?
Part 3: Do you think that Pale already knew who Larry was and was just trying to mock him? Why or why not?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)