|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who yells from the hallway later on in the first scene, trying to get someone's attention?
2. What is the "real" name of Pale that he reveals to Anna though few people actually call him this?
3. Pale is suddenly distracted by his __________, which are new so he takes them off as he has gotten hot in that area of his body.
4. What is the source of the loud noise that distracts Pale when he is talking with Anna and Larry?
5. How many years had it been since Robbie had even seen his parents, showing just how distant they'd become?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Anna asks Pale how he could marry someone he felt nothing for, how does he respond?
2. What does Larry admit Anna has been working on when Burton asks Larry about her relationship with Pale?
3. What does Burton say that he misses about women's clothing as he helps Anna with her dress?
4. Why does Pale decide to take off his shoes when in Anna's apartment a month after Robbie's death?
5. What holiday is it when the second act of the play begins at 2:00AM?
6. What does Anna reveal about Pale's ideas about what happened to Robbie and to Dominic?
7. What happened between the man and Burton that Burton encountered when he was walking home drunk at the age of 20?
8. What does Anna say the difference between a glass and a flute is when Burton asks?
9. Why is Anna angry, as she admits to Larry after Larry tells her that he can not stop thinking about Robbie?
10. What is the one thing that Robbie's family has never seen him do, which also upsets Anna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burton admits easily that as long as he continues to be paid for his work, he doesn't care what Hollywood does with his scripts.
Part 1: Why do you think Burton is focused more on money than on art?
Part 2: Do you think it's a bad thing to enjoy getting paid for your art? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you have more or less respect for Burton after he says he just likes to get paid? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Anna points out that she has been working nonstop lately, as though she has so much creative work to do, choreography, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think Anna is working nonstop? What might be driving her to do so?
Part 2: Why do you think a person can suddenly have a fit of creative inspiration? Do you think this is realistic?
Part 3: What other explanations might there be for Anna's sudden time away from others?
Essay Topic 3
The reference to "The Flying Dutchman" is a curious one, as it seems to reference a feeling of love and loss - as everyone is feeling now.
Part 1: Why do you think Larry decided to tell Burton the story of the Flying Dutchman?
Part 2: How do you think the story of the Flying Dutchman relates to the characters in the story?
Part 3: How do myths like these affect the way we see our own lives?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)