|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Detective Padgett want to arrest in Chapter 36 until Anita convinces him no crime has been committed?
2. Where is Anita at the beginning of Chapter 47?
3. Which police officer does not accompany Anita into the basement of the halfway house in Chapter 46?
4. What is Ronnie's relationship to Anita?
5. How does Richard respond when Vivian is attacked in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestion does Larry make to Anita in Chapter 40 and how does Anita feel about Larry's suggestion?
2. In Chapter 42, what unusual behavior does Caroline report observing among the local vampires since the vampire council has arrived in the city?
3. What does Jean Claude think of Anita's desire to ask the vampire council to help with the vampire problems?
4. In Chapter 50, how does Anita use Raina's munin to defeat Yvette?
5. What special abilities does Warrick display in Chapter 30 and what does he think his abilities indicate?
6. Who is Cherry and why is Richard angry with her in Chapter 27?
7. In Chapter 44, which member of the vampire council does Anita ask to help with the vampire problem and how does that council member respond to her request?
8. What is the Day of Cleansing and how does it relate to the attack on Anita and her friends in Chapter 32?
9. In Chapter 26, why is Richard angry with Anita?
10. How does Captain Thomas Carswell help Anita and her group at the Circus of the Damned in Chapter 29 and what is unusual about the fact that he is helping them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Anita's relationships with law enforcement and with the individual law enforcement officers in the novel. In what ways is Anita a law enforcement officer for vampires and shapeshifters? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three themes. Tell what the author is trying to say about each theme and how she depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of women in Burnt Offerings. Are women in positions of leadership in the novel? What characteristics are ascribed to women in the novel? Do the men in the novel treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)