|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Damian resurrects, what does he fear about Anita?
2. What police officer does Anita meet with in Chapter 23?
3. Whose body does the Traveler possess in Chapter 14?
4. What action must Anita take in Chapter 16 to help Jean Claude?
5. Who is the lupa, or female leader, of Richard's wolf pack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Asher respond to Anita's references to his beauty at the beginning of Chapter 11?
2. Who is Vicki Pierce and why does Anita doubt her story in Chapter 24?
3. What is Humans First?
4. Why does Anita ask Sylvie not to challenge Richard in Chapter 21?
5. Explain how Anita draws on Richard's power in Chapter 6 and what affect their combined power has on the werewolves in Richard's pack.
6. What is Larry doing when he is attacked by a member of Humans First?
7. In Chapter 14, how does Jean Claude tell Anita they should deal with the vampire council?
8. In what condition do Anita and Jean Claude find Damian in Chapter 17 and how does Anita help Damian?
9. What is Anita's relationship with the wereleopard pard?
10. What is Anita's position in Richard's werewolf pack and how does that position bring her into conflict with Sylvie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the major themes of this novel? Discuss at least three themes. Tell what the author is trying to say about each theme and how she depicts it. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of women in Burnt Offerings. Are women in positions of leadership in the novel? What characteristics are ascribed to women in the novel? Do the men in the novel treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Anita Blake is a human being interacting with preternatural creates like vampires and werewolves. Discuss Anita's humanness. What advantages does it give her in her interactions with supernatural creatures? What disadvantages does it give her in her interactions with supernatural creatures? Does Anita ultimately prevail in her conflicts with vampires and shapeshifters? What do you think the author is trying to say about humans and their power through her depiction of Anita as heroine? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)