|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Humans First?
2. In Chapter 24, what does the woman claiming to have been bitten at the vampire bar do when Anita accuses her of lying?
3. How does Jean Claude advise Anita to act when they are before the council?
4. Why does Larry Kirkland call Anita in Chapter 1?
5. How old is Damian?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Anita and Jean Claude find nailed to the door of the Circus of the Damned in Chapter 13 and what does this object indicate?
2. Why does Anita ask Sylvie not to challenge Richard in Chapter 21?
3. What is Anita's position in Richard's werewolf pack and how does that position bring her into conflict with Sylvie?
4. How does Anita's relationship with Sylvie change from the beginning of the book to Chapter 21?
5. Why does Jean Claude need his strength restored in Chapter 16 and how does Anita help him restore it?
6. What is Larry doing when he is attacked by a member of Humans First?
7. What is Humans First?
8. What explanation does Anita give The Traveler for not liking him using Willie's body, and how does the Traveler respond to her explanation?
9. Who is Vicki Pierce and why does Anita doubt her story in Chapter 24?
10. How does Asher respond to Anita's references to his beauty at the beginning of Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burnt Offerings contains a number of instances of irony. Cite at least three examples of irony in the novel and what you think the author is trying to convey through her use of this technique.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the policemen and firemen in Burnt Offerings: Captain Pete McKinnon, Detective Padgett, and Sergeant Dolf Storr. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the triumvirate. What conflicts does it bring to Anita? What benefits does it bring to Anita? What does it symbolize? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)