|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does Eddie spot and take with him while running an errand for Mr. Stiles in Chapter 2?
(a) A vacuum cleaner.
(b) A television.
(c) An air conditioner.
(d) A refrigerator.
2. Chapter 2 ends with Eddie saying that the "east was one large bruise that was slowly becoming” what?
(a) “The night.”
3. Where does Eddie bike daily to do odd jobs in Chapter 1?
(a) South Fresno.
(b) West Fresno.
(c) North Fresno.
(d) East Fresno.
4. What technical skill was Eddie studying before dropping out of school?
(a) Computer programming.
(b) Swimming pool installer.
(c) Air conditioning repair.
(d) Almond farming.
5. What is the playground in the barrio where kids play, and where gangsters recruit new members?
(a) Rodgers Park.
(b) Smith Park
(c) Mason Playground.
(d) Holmes Playground.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did author Gary Soto earn his B.A. degree in English?
2. Who tells Eddie that Angel killed Jesús in Chapter 4?
3. In what area of the city is Eddie’s apartment, as described in Chapter 1?
4. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that will come later in the story?
5. How old was Gary Soto when his father died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Spanish term “barrio” defined and described in Chapter 1?
2. What background information does the author establish regarding Eddie’s past and the people he has lost in Chapter 1?
3. What do Eddie and José find when they stop to pick up onions after eating in Chapter 4?
4. Where do Eddie and José go to eat in Chapter 4? Who do they encounter there?
5. What does Eddie discover at the dump in Chapter 2?
6. What additional item does Eddie’s aunt bring him with tortillas in Chapter 2? Why?
7. Who does Eddie believe will have brighter futures as described in Chapter 1? Why?
8. What causes Eddie’s sense of fear in Chapter 1?
9. What leads to Eddie’s encounter with the police in Chapter 3?
10. Why does Angel visit Eddie in Chapter 3? How does Eddie respond?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)