|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to a desired result an animal, person or a system envisions, plans and commits to achieve?
2. What refers to an object, action, or idea that represents something other than itself, often of a more abstract nature?
3. In what area of the city is Eddie’s apartment, as described in Chapter 1?
(a) The north.
(b) The northwest.
(c) The west.
(d) The southeast.
4. How old is Eddie’s mother in Chapter 3?
(a) Her 70s.
(b) Her 60s.
(c) Her 80s.
(d) Her 50s.
5. What aunt brings Eddie food in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did author Gary Soto earn his B.A. degree in English?
2. What branch of the military has José joined in Chapter 4?
3. What Spanish word is used in the novel meaning district or neighborhood?
4. What inexpensive food does Eddie typically live off of in the novel?
5. What does José give to the onion seller’s children in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eddie feel about his job prospect in Chapter 2?
2. What does José represent symbolically to Eddie in the narrative?
3. How is Eddie’s neighborhood described in Chapter 1?
4. Who calls Eddie at the end of Chapter 3? Why?
5. How is the Spanish term “barrio” defined and described in Chapter 1?
6. Who has stolen the truck in Chapter 2? What is Eddie’s response to the situation?
7. What causes Eddie’s sense of fear in Chapter 1?
8. What does the author establish through the exposition in Chapter 1?
9. Where does Eddie work in Chapter 1? How is this neighborhood described?
10. What is Angel’s objective with Eddie in Chapter 1?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)