|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Agnes and Natan live together?
2. What reasoning does Blondal give in Chapter 7 for why Fridrik committed the murders?
3. Where does Agnes go after Natan kicks her out?
4. What does Bjorn, Agnes' childhood foster-father, not like?
5. What happens when Roslin, Margret's friend, goes into labor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Natan sleep in Sigga's bed when he knew Agnes was awake?
2. Why does Reverend return to Agnes, even though he is sick?
3. What revelation did Agnes come to after examining her little sister's death?
4. Why does Agnes not believe that Steina and her have anything real in common?
5. What exactly happens in Agnes' dream of Reverend Toti, which is the true first time she met him?
6. In Poet-Rosa's poem to Natan Ketilsson, what overall message does she convey to him?
7. Ravens are a common theme throughout the story. What do the ravens represent in the following scenario? Agnes turned away after finding Fridrik kicking Natan's dead sheep outside. She felt this was only the beginning of a more violent incident to come. "I turned around ... and saw a raven descent upon the sheep. It gave a mournful caw and then plunged its beak into the innards" (267). The ravens brutally attacked an already dead animal right after Agnes sees Fridrik committed the same act.
8. What did Daniel, Natan's worker, say to Agnes about her relationship? Why?
9. What is at the crux of the disagreement between Blondal and Reverend Toti about Agnes?
10. Why does Agnes' "mouth ache" after meeting with Reverend Toti?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is truth a nebulous term and how does this novel test the varied notions people have toward truth?
Essay Topic 2
How and why does Margret Jonsdottir's opinion of Agnes progress over time? List specific examples of how she feels once Agnes arrives and then when Agnes is preparing for her execution.
Essay Topic 3
Ravens are frequently being referenced and appear during certain situations. What do the ravens represent and why does the author place them during certain scenes? Cite at least four examples and explain how they prove your representation.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)