|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first question Agnes asked Sigga upon meeting her?
2. Where does Agnes go after Natan kicks her out?
3. Why will Fridrik be angry if Natan and Sigga have been together?
4. After Natan and Agnes fight, what does he do to get her back at Agnes, as described in Chapter 10?
5. What is Agnes doing when Natan arrives home after Agnes has moved in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an example of how Margret begins to trust Agnes and appreciate her knowledge?
2. What revelation did Agnes come to after examining her little sister's death?
3. How does Agnes approach Natan's work as a medicinal man? Why is her response ironic?
4. Ravens are a common theme throughout the story. What do the ravens represent in the following scenario? Agnes turned away after finding Fridrik kicking Natan's dead sheep outside. She felt this was only the beginning of a more violent incident to come. "I turned around ... and saw a raven descent upon the sheep. It gave a mournful caw and then plunged its beak into the innards" (267). The ravens brutally attacked an already dead animal right after Agnes sees Fridrik committed the same act.
5. How does Agnes describe the Northern Lights her foster-father showed her?
6. Why does Agnes believe that she may have been friends with Poet-Rosa under different circumstances?
7. After realizing that her sister was dead, what was Agnes' reaction?
8. Why does Agnes' "mouth ache" after meeting with Reverend Toti?
9. How does Reverend Toti relay his message to Blondal about preparing Agnes for her execution?
10. What was Agnes' first impression of Sigga when she arrives at Illugastadir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agnes tackles the idea of truth throughout the text; it appears it is a very contentious topic for her. How does she view truth and why do you think she has come to those conclusions? Provide four quotes that prove Agnes' definition of truth.
Essay Topic 2
To what extent does Reverend Toti fulfill his task of bringing Agnes to God? Give two examples of when he is successful and two of when he failed.
Essay Topic 3
The author, Hannah Kent, calls her novel a "dark love letter to Iceland." How does this quote speak to the narrative? While reading, did you believe that this quote spoke to the true nature of the story? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)