|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Agnes say about Illugastadir when she arrives?
(a) it was "almost on the edge of the world" (214).
(b) That "heavy clouds had blown in from the sea, and the light was fast disappearing..." (48).
(c) "But soon winter will come like a freak wave upon the shore" (115)
(d) "And the wind was blowing so hard all the while, that sometimes I couldn't tell if it was Inga crying out, or the wind, making the candle gutter in its candlestick" (140).
2. Why does Natan threaten to kick Sigga out of the house, as described in Chapter 11?
(a) She has lied about him to other people.
(b) She is not a good lover.
(c) She is a thief.
(d) She has been disloyal.
3. In what condition is the badstofa in Illugstadir?
(a) It is beautifully decorated.
(b) It is falling apart, and there is no fire burning.
(c) Larger than Agnes expected.
(d) Very small with only four bunks.
4. Why does Lauga not like Steina's relationship with Agnes?
(a) She worries that Steina will help Agnes escape, and maybe Steina will escape with her.
(b) She thinks that Agnes makes their family look bad, so the girls will never marry. She is also jealous of their relationship.
(c) She thinks Steina is being naive and that Agnes will take advantage of her and make her do bad things.
(d) She wants more time with Steina and thinks Agnes is depending on Steina too much.
5. What do Natan and Agnes do to ensure Sigga does not know about their relationship?
(a) They do not care, because Sigga is just a servant.
(b) They tell her to sleep in a separate room.
(c) They waited until she is asleep.
(d) They try to be very quiet when she is near.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bjorn is asleep what does Inga do with young Agnes?
2. What angers Fridrik and begins the motive for killing Natan, as described in Chapter 11?
3. What position has Sigga taken over when Agnes moves into Natan's farm?
4. Why does Reverend Toti stop visiting Agnes in Chapter 10?
5. Who does Agnes first see when she reaches Illugastadir?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Agnes believe that she may have been friends with Poet-Rosa under different circumstances?
2. In what ways does Agnes help Roslin get through her birth?
3. What revelation did Agnes come to after examining her little sister's death?
4. In Poet-Rosa's poem to Natan Ketilsson, what overall message does she convey to him?
5. How does Agnes describe her feelings and relationship with Natan after having a dream?
6. What happens when Agnes goes to the storehouse to find Inga?
7. Why does Agnes' "mouth ache" after meeting with Reverend Toti?
8. What exactly happens in Agnes' dream of Reverend Toti, which is the true first time she met him?
9. Why does Reverend return to Agnes, even though he is sick?
10. How did Agnes feel after her baby sister was born?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)