|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Agnes' foster-mother, Inga?
(a) She dies during childbirth.
(b) She leaves the family when Agnes is young.
(c) She hates Agnes, because Agnes is smarter than her.
(d) She does not want Agnes and tries to give her away to another family.
2. Why does Natan threaten to kick Sigga out of the house, as described in Chapter 11?
(a) She has lied about him to other people.
(b) She has been disloyal.
(c) She is not a good lover.
(d) She is a thief.
3. What is the weather like the day Inga gives birth?
(a) The sunshine radiates through the clouds.
(b) Rain rapidly pours on the rooftops.
(c) A fierce blizzard takes over.
(d) There is mention of the weather.
4. What does Rosa say, in Chapter 10, about her connection to Agnes?
(a) She states that Agnes is a liar and doesn't deserve any mercy.
(b) She does not ever share her opinion to anyone.
(c) She says that she has no opinion.
(d) She says that she hated her for many reasons.
5. What does Fridrik's mother tell him when she learns of his fight with Natan?
(a) She tells Fridrik to break-up with Sigga to stop all of this.
(b) She says that Fridrik needs to stop fighting with Natan and causing problems.
(c) She tells Fridrik to consider marrying Agnes now that she has no home.
(d) She says that Fridrik will not have Sigga as long as Natan is alive.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Natan out doing when Agnes first arrives at his home to live?
2. After being accused of the murders, in Chapter 7, what does Fridrik say in response?
3. Agnes meets Reverend Toti twice before seeking his counsel as her spiritual advisor for her crimes. What is the second instance?
4. What do Natan and Agnes do to ensure Sigga does not know about their relationship?
5. Who tries very hard to make a connection with Agnes in Chapter 7, saying, "I know you. We are alike" (169).
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Reverend return to Agnes, even though he is sick?
2. How does Agnes describe her feelings and relationship with Natan after having a dream?
3. What is at the crux of the disagreement between Blondal and Reverend Toti about Agnes?
4. How does Agnes reply to Reverend Toti's absence?
5. In Poet-Rosa's poem to Natan Ketilsson, what overall message does she convey to him?
6. How does Agnes recount Natan's unexpected demeanor?
7. Ravens are a common theme throughout the story. What do the ravens represent in the following scenario? Agnes turned away after finding Fridrik kicking Natan's dead sheep outside. She felt this was only the beginning of a more violent incident to come. "I turned around ... and saw a raven descent upon the sheep. It gave a mournful caw and then plunged its beak into the innards" (267). The ravens brutally attacked an already dead animal right after Agnes sees Fridrik committed the same act.
8. What happens when Agnes goes to the storehouse to find Inga?
9. What revelation did Agnes come to after examining her little sister's death?
10. How does Agnes describe the Northern Lights her foster-father showed her?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)