|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3 - 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the District Commissioner feel it is appropriate for him to ask the Jonsdottir family to house a murderer?
(a) He believes the daughters will be a good influence.
(b) It is punishment, because the family has stolen from a nearby farm.
(c) He believes it's Mr. Jonsson's responsibility as District Officer of Vatnsdalur.
(d) He has nowhere else for her to go.
2. Why is the Jonsdottir mother, Margret, distressed at the beginning of the novel?
(a) She is distressed, because her sons are troublemakers.
(b) She is distressed from having children and servants to look after.
(c) She is distressed, because her family doesn't have enough money.
(d) She is distressed from having to keep the farm working.
3. Steina says in Chapter 3 that she met Agnes before. What did Agnes do for the girls?
(a) She ignored them and went along her way.
(b) She tried to steal from them.
(c) She yelled at them for being nosey.
(d) She plaited their hair and gave them eggs.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 3, it states the names of the three murderers. Who are they?
(a) Natan, Petur, and Sigga.
(b) Fridrik, Petur, and Natan.
(c) Fridrik, Sigga, and Agnes.
(d) Agnes, Sigga, and Margret.
5. What did Agnes do before working at Kornsa?
(a) She was a devoted mother.
(b) She was a cook.
(c) She was a worker.
(d) She had a serving position.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Agnes' journey to the Jonsdottir farm?
2. What does Agnes contemplate the first day on the Jonsson farm in Chapter 3?
3. Where does this story take place?
4. Who is "they" in the following sentence: "They will blow us all out, one by one, until it is only their light by which they are themselves" (Prologue)?
5. The transition between the Chapter 2 narrative and the Chapter 3 narrative is important, because of what shift?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)