|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lionel Burger die?
2. Who pulls Tony out of the pool?
3. What response does Tandi make to Rosa when Rosa asks her if the baby is hers?
4. How does Rosa feel about Conrad when she moves from the cottage?
5. In what year of his imprisonment does Lionel die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who in Rosa's family is arrested and why?
2. Who is the old-maid school teacher and what does she do to the Burgers?
3. How is finding Bassie the complete opposite of what Rosa would have imagined?
4. What is the reason for Flora's party? What specifically do the women discuss?
5. What is the argument that the men have at Fats' home concerning black athletes?
6. What does Katya share with Rosa about her past in the beginning of Pages 262-290?
7. What is the relationship between Conrad and Rosa from the time they met to the end of the first section of the book?
8. What is the relationship between Noel and Rosa? How long does it last? How does it end?
9. Who is Bernard Chabalier?
10. What are Rosa's thoughts concerning her future with Bernard?
Essay Topic 1
Everyone plays a role in the cause, some are completely embedded in it; others have a hand in it only. Show how the involvement in the cause of four characters is either deep or on the surface but how all involvement is crucial for change.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Rosa to Greer. What are each of the strengths and weaknesses in regards to the fight against apartheid? How does Greer's involvement differ from Rosa? Do they both have the same goals?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of Book One, what does Rosa believe about Conrad and what is the significance of this thought at this point in the novel? How does this thought change Rosa?
This section contains 1,505 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)