|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Rosa's mother die?
2. What is the last trial in which Cathy and Lionel stand accused together?
3. How does Rosa feel about Conrad when she moves from the cottage?
4. What is the name of Lily's baby boy?
5. How does Rosa respond to Clare's request when Clare visits her at her apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory does Rosa describe as she and Conrad stop in front of her dad's house one evening while taking a walk?
2. What is life like at the Nel's hotel for Rosa?
3. What occupation is Lionel Burger's and how does his social standing affect his views?
4. What offering does the baby boy make to Rosa? Where does the item come from, and what is its significance?
5. Why do Rosa and Tony go stay with the Nels and for how long?
6. What happens at Ivy and Dick Terblanche's home on the day that Rosa goes to visit?
7. What recollections does Rosa have and why is she thinking about the past in after her visit to the Terblanche's home?
8. What information does Rosa give the journalist concerning her parents?
9. In the first section of the novel pages 9-39, many points of view are used. Whose points of view is the story told from?
10. What does Rosa feel shortly before she leaves Fats' house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What occurs at the massacre of June 16, 1976, and how is this event a turning point in the fight is South Africa against Apartheid? What fundamental changes stem from the massacre?
Essay Topic 2
What is Apartheid? Where did it stem from? What was the reasoning behind it? How long did it exist in South Africa? What were the effects of it?
Essay Topic 3
In what style is the book written? How does this style add to the book's purpose? How does it allow the reader to view different perspectives?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)