|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what were the two hotel rooms where Rosa stayed filled?
2. Who sends the two letters to Rosa on the anniversary of her father's death?
3. Where does Rosa meet Conrad the first time?
4. Who is Bassie?
5. Where does Rosa believe Conrad has moved to right after she sees that the cottage is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clare want Rosa to do and how does Rosa react to the request?
2. How does Conrad see Rosa's childhood and where does he believe it will lead her?
3. What information does Rosa give the journalist concerning her parents?
4. What is the meeting between Marisa and Rosa all about?
5. What is the relationship between Conrad and Rosa from the time they met to the end of the first section of the book?
6. What happens at Ivy and Dick Terblanche's home on the day that Rosa goes to visit?
7. How does Rosa view Clare?
8. What politics are the Burgers involved in and what is their stand on the issue?
9. What happens in the city on the anniversary of Lionel's death and how does Rosa react to it and why?
10. What does Greer offer to give Rosa, and how does she feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rosa says that it is difficult to live in a country that still has heroes. What does she mean by that, and how does it affect her decision to return home?
Essay Topic 2
Everyone plays a role in the cause, some are completely embedded in it; others have a hand in it only. Show how the involvement in the cause of four characters is either deep or on the surface but how all involvement is crucial for change.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of Book One, what does Rosa believe about Conrad and what is the significance of this thought at this point in the novel? How does this thought change Rosa?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)