|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends the two letters to Rosa on the anniversary of her father's death?
2. What does the baby boy give to Rosa from the grandmother at Fats' home?
3. In what year of his imprisonment does Lionel die?
4. What does Dick whisper to Rosa in the window of her car as she is about to leave his home?
5. What does Rosa do for a living after she leaves the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of the novel, how is Rosa's age crucial to the intensity of the story?
2. From pages 62-70, how does Rosa view herself? What does she know about herself that she wishes she could change but won't?
3. In the first section of the novel pages 9-39, many points of view are used. Whose points of view is the story told from?
4. What is life like at the Nel's hotel for Rosa?
5. What are some of the experiences that Rosa and Katya share as Rosa's stay extends in Pages 214-261?
6. What information does Rosa give the journalist concerning her parents?
7. What do Greer and Rosa see on their ride home from Orlanda and how and why do they react the way that they do?
8. How do Katya and Rosa handle the idea of Lionel in their relationship?
9. Why is Rosa detained and what becomes of her?
10. Who does Rosa meet at the bar and what happens between them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Rosa's view of death after the man dies in the public square. How does she equate the death of the ordinary man to her parents' deaths and to her brother's death?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Rosa to Greer. What are each of the strengths and weaknesses in regards to the fight against apartheid? How does Greer's involvement differ from Rosa? Do they both have the same goals?
Essay Topic 3
How has fighting for a cause been too costly for Doctor Lionel Burger and his family?
This section contains 1,547 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)