|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dick whisper to Rosa in the window of her car as she is about to leave his home?
2. What is Rosa's profession when she grows up?
3. What does Rosa do on the day of the anniversary of her father's death?
4. How do the Sunday dinners at the Burgers' house come about?
5. What does Conrad tell Rosa about her future?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rosa view Clare?
2. At the beginning of the novel, how is Rosa's age crucial to the intensity of the story?
3. What does Clare want Rosa to do and how does Rosa react to the request?
4. Why do Rosa and Tony go stay with the Nels and for how long?
5. What does Greer offer to give Rosa, and how does she feel about it?
6. How does Conrad see Rosa's childhood and where does he believe it will lead her?
7. What is the relationship between Noel and Rosa? How long does it last? How does it end?
8. How is Rosa's life tragic as shown in the first section of the novel?
9. What memory does Rosa describe as she and Conrad stop in front of her dad's house one evening while taking a walk?
10. What is the meeting between Marisa and Rosa all about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If Rosa is the protagonist of the story. Who are the antagonists? Name three antagonists and explain why they are antagonists and how they affect Rosa.
Essay Topic 2
What is Gordimer's point in including Didier in the novel? How does he contrast to Rosa? How is his character a foil character?
Essay Topic 3
Rosa says that it is difficult to live in a country that still has heroes. What does she mean by that, and how does it affect her decision to return home?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)