|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the trial after the strike allow the government to do?
2. What does Rosa remark that Fats will do if she is caught at his home by the police?
3. How does Rosa see the boat-builders: the friends of Conrad's?
4. How does Rosa's brother die?
5. How does Lionel Burger die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Ivy and Dick Terblanche's home on the day that Rosa goes to visit?
2. What is life like at the Nel's hotel for Rosa?
3. What information does Rosa give the journalist concerning her parents?
4. What does Greer offer to give Rosa, and how does she feel about it?
5. At the beginning of the novel, how is Rosa's age crucial to the intensity of the story?
6. From pages 62-70, how does Rosa view herself? What does she know about herself that she wishes she could change but won't?
7. Who is the old-maid school teacher and what does she do to the Burgers?
8. How is Rosa's life different than her cousin who carries her name?
9. What happened in the morning in the city that Marisa wants to know more about ,and what does Greer tell her about it?
10. What happens in the city on the anniversary of Lionel's death and how does Rosa react to it and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the beating of the donkey? What does it symbolize for Rosa, and why can't she react to the incident the way that she wants to?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Brandt's way of life and his outlook on the cause to that of Lionel's. How are they both on the same side? How are their approaches vastly different?
Essay Topic 3
How has fighting for a cause been too costly for Doctor Lionel Burger and his family?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)