|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year of his imprisonment does Lionel die?
2. Where does Rosa believe Conrad has moved to right after she sees that the cottage is gone?
3. How long does Lionel Burger speak when he gets his chance in court?
4. What question does Rosa ask of Clare when they are looking at the empty apartment?
5. What does Greer tell Rosa about the book that he has read from a former political prisoner now in exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Greer offer to give Rosa, and how does she feel about it?
2. What information does Rosa give the journalist concerning her parents?
3. What happens to the man on the bench in the public square and what do the onlookers do?
4. Why do Rosa and Tony go stay with the Nels and for how long?
5. What happens at Ivy and Dick Terblanche's home on the day that Rosa goes to visit?
6. What memory does Rosa describe as she and Conrad stop in front of her dad's house one evening while taking a walk?
7. What does Rosa recollect after the death of the man in the public square concerning her parents, Tony and Conrad?
8. At the beginning of the novel, how is Rosa's age crucial to the intensity of the story?
9. What does Clare want Rosa to do and how does Rosa react to the request?
10. What is the relationship between Noel and Rosa? How long does it last? How does it end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Rosa react concerning her passport before she leaves the country? What is she afraid of? Why is she afraid? What occurrences happen that she reacts to?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Rosa go to France? How does she almost accomplish her goal in going there?
Essay Topic 3
What greater significance does the woman in the nightgown have? How can she be seen as a theme of the novel?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)