|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosa know happened at the Providence House that Marisa was unaware of until later?
2. What are the colors of Rosa Burger's uniform?
3. Whose car does Conrad drive?
4. Of what does Rosa's mother die?
5. What intimate information does Clare share with Rosa at the empty apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Ivy and Dick Terblanche's home on the day that Rosa goes to visit?
2. Why do Rosa and Tony go stay with the Nels and for how long?
3. What is the argument that the men have at Fats' home concerning black athletes?
4. What does Bernard say that the trip to Corsica is all about and what does it actually turn out to be?
5. Where and when does Rosa meet Bernard? What does their relationship quickly become?
6. How does Rosa view Clare?
7. Why is Rosa detained and what becomes of her?
8. What is the meeting between Marisa and Rosa all about?
9. In the first section of the novel pages 9-39, many points of view are used. Whose points of view is the story told from?
10. What offering does the baby boy make to Rosa? Where does the item come from, and what is its significance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What occurs at the massacre of June 16, 1976, and how is this event a turning point in the fight is South Africa against Apartheid? What fundamental changes stem from the massacre?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Rosa to Greer. What are each of the strengths and weaknesses in regards to the fight against apartheid? How does Greer's involvement differ from Rosa? Do they both have the same goals?
Essay Topic 3
In what style is the book written? How does this style add to the book's purpose? How does it allow the reader to view different perspectives?
This section contains 1,519 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)