|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lionel teach Bassie?
2. What does Rosa consider a sickness?
3. What does Conrad tell Rosa about her future?
4. What does Rosa understand about political change?
5. What did the trial after the strike allow the government to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the argument that the men have at Fats' home concerning black athletes?
2. What happens at Ivy and Dick Terblanche's home on the day that Rosa goes to visit?
3. What do Greer and Rosa see on their ride home from Orlanda and how and why do they react the way that they do?
4. What is the relationship between Conrad and Rosa from the time they met to the end of the first section of the book?
5. How is Rosa's life different than her cousin who carries her name?
6. What cloak and dagger stuff has Rosa been involved in in the past, and what were the results?
7. How is Rosa's life tragic as shown in the first section of the novel?
8. What does Greer offer to give Rosa, and how does she feel about it?
9. What is life like at the Nel's hotel for Rosa?
10. What recollections does Rosa have and why is she thinking about the past in after her visit to the Terblanche's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Bernard's role in the novel? Why does Gordimer create his character? What contrasts is the reader made to see through him?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Brandt's way of life and his outlook on the cause to that of Lionel's. How are they both on the same side? How are their approaches vastly different?
Essay Topic 3
Flora arrives at the prison and knocks hard at the door the door to be let in to drop off a package for Rosa and Clare. How have things come full circle based on this scene? Explain the irony of the circle.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)