|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rosa sees the raided building in the city, what is her reaction?
2. Who is Theo?
3. What does Greer tell Rosa about the book that he has read from a former political prisoner now in exile?
4. Why is the group knocking at the prison door in the opening pages of the novel?
5. How does Rosa see the boat-builders: the friends of Conrad's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clare want Rosa to do and how does Rosa react to the request?
2. What offering does the baby boy make to Rosa? Where does the item come from, and what is its significance?
3. In the first section of the novel pages 9-39, many points of view are used. Whose points of view is the story told from?
4. What happens at Ivy and Dick Terblanche's home on the day that Rosa goes to visit?
5. How does Conrad see Rosa's childhood and where does he believe it will lead her?
6. At the beginning of the novel, how is Rosa's age crucial to the intensity of the story?
7. What does Greer offer to give Rosa, and how does she feel about it?
8. Who is the old-maid school teacher and what does she do to the Burgers?
9. What memory does Rosa describe as she and Conrad stop in front of her dad's house one evening while taking a walk?
10. How is Rosa's life different than her cousin who carries her name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Book One, what does Rosa believe about Conrad and what is the significance of this thought at this point in the novel? How does this thought change Rosa?
Essay Topic 2
Everyone plays a role in the cause, some are completely embedded in it; others have a hand in it only. Show how the involvement in the cause of four characters is either deep or on the surface but how all involvement is crucial for change.
Essay Topic 3
What greater significance does the woman in the nightgown have? How can she be seen as a theme of the novel?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)