|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pulls Tony out of the pool?
2. What does the watchman come to see Conrad about?
3. What kind of lessons does Conrad take in the evenings?
4. What does Conrad tell Rosa about her future?
5. Where does Rosa believe Conrad has moved to right after she sees that the cottage is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meeting between Marisa and Rosa all about?
2. What do Greer and Rosa see on their ride home from Orlanda and how and why do they react the way that they do?
3. What does Greer offer to give Rosa, and how does she feel about it?
4. What happens to the man on the bench in the public square and what do the onlookers do?
5. What does Rosa recollect after the death of the man in the public square concerning her parents, Tony and Conrad?
6. What is the relationship between Noel and Rosa? How long does it last? How does it end?
7. What does Clare want Rosa to do and how does Rosa react to the request?
8. At the beginning of the novel, how is Rosa's age crucial to the intensity of the story?
9. How is Rosa's life tragic as shown in the first section of the novel?
10. What happened in the morning in the city that Marisa wants to know more about ,and what does Greer tell her about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Rosa go to France? How does she almost accomplish her goal in going there?
Essay Topic 2
If Rosa is the protagonist of the story. Who are the antagonists? Name three antagonists and explain why they are antagonists and how they affect Rosa.
Essay Topic 3
What is Bernard's role in the novel? Why does Gordimer create his character? What contrasts is the reader made to see through him?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)