|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main topic of conversation between the men at Fats' home?
2. What did Noel de Witt want to become for his career?
3. What does Greer say "blackness" means?
4. How many black miners participated in the strike of 1946 in South Africa?
5. How long do Tony and Rosa stay with their Aunt Velma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What politics are the Burgers involved in and what is their stand on the issue?
2. What is the argument that the men have at Fats' home concerning black athletes?
3. What is life like at the Nel's hotel for Rosa?
4. At the beginning of the novel, how is Rosa's age crucial to the intensity of the story?
5. What offering does the baby boy make to Rosa? Where does the item come from, and what is its significance?
6. What does Clare want Rosa to do and how does Rosa react to the request?
7. What memory does Rosa describe as she and Conrad stop in front of her dad's house one evening while taking a walk?
8. How is Rosa's life tragic as shown in the first section of the novel?
9. Why do Rosa and Tony go stay with the Nels and for how long?
10. What is the relationship between Conrad and Rosa from the time they met to the end of the first section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What occurs at the massacre of June 16, 1976, and how is this event a turning point in the fight is South Africa against Apartheid? What fundamental changes stem from the massacre?
Essay Topic 2
How has fighting for a cause been too costly for Doctor Lionel Burger and his family?
Essay Topic 3
What is Bernard's role in the novel? Why does Gordimer create his character? What contrasts is the reader made to see through him?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)