|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lily?
2. How many black miners participated in the strike of 1946 in South Africa?
3. What does Clare want from Rosa when she goes to her apartment to see her?
4. Why has Lionel been imprisoned?
5. What is Colette Swan studying when Lionel marries her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What memory does Rosa describe as she and Conrad stop in front of her dad's house one evening while taking a walk?
2. What does Clare want Rosa to do and how does Rosa react to the request?
3. How do Katya and Rosa handle the idea of Lionel in their relationship?
4. Why might Rosa have chosen a married man as her lover and not the bricklayer she had met?
5. What happens to the man on the bench in the public square and what do the onlookers do?
6. What is the consequence of Bassie's phone call for Rosa?
7. How is Rosa's life tragic as shown in the first section of the novel?
8. What does Rosa recollect after the death of the man in the public square concerning her parents, Tony and Conrad?
9. How is Rosa's life different than her cousin who carries her name?
10. Describe Brandt's home. Why is the modesty of the area in which he lives significant?
Essay Topic 1
Everyone plays a role in the cause, some are completely embedded in it; others have a hand in it only. Show how the involvement in the cause of four characters is either deep or on the surface but how all involvement is crucial for change.
Essay Topic 2
What is Apartheid? Where did it stem from? What was the reasoning behind it? How long did it exist in South Africa? What were the effects of it?
Essay Topic 3
How does Rosa react concerning her passport before she leaves the country? What is she afraid of? Why is she afraid? What occurrences happen that she reacts to?
This section contains 1,578 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)