|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daniel tell Rosa about one of his boys?
2. What is Lionel Burger's profession?
3. How does Rosa feel about Clare in general?
4. Who is Lily?
5. Who is Rosa Burger going to visit on the day that she first goes to the prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. What offering does the baby boy make to Rosa? Where does the item come from, and what is its significance?
2. Who is the old-maid school teacher and what does she do to the Burgers?
3. What is the meeting between Marisa and Rosa all about?
4. What happens in the city on the anniversary of Lionel's death and how does Rosa react to it and why?
5. At the beginning of the novel, how is Rosa's age crucial to the intensity of the story?
6. What memory does Rosa describe as she and Conrad stop in front of her dad's house one evening while taking a walk?
7. In the first section of the novel pages 9-39, many points of view are used. Whose points of view is the story told from?
8. What happens to the man on the bench in the public square and what do the onlookers do?
9. Why do Rosa and Tony go stay with the Nels and for how long?
10. What information does Rosa give the journalist concerning her parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Rosa go to France? How does she almost accomplish her goal in going there?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Book One, what does Rosa believe about Conrad and what is the significance of this thought at this point in the novel? How does this thought change Rosa?
Essay Topic 3
What is Bernard's role in the novel? Why does Gordimer create his character? What contrasts is the reader made to see through him?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)