|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rosa's brother die?
2. What does Rosa do on the day of the anniversary of her father's death?
3. What does the watchman come to see Conrad about?
4. How does Tosa view Ivy and Dick after she visits them in their home?
5. Whose car does Conrad drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the meeting between Marisa and Rosa all about?
2. What is the relationship between Noel and Rosa? How long does it last? How does it end?
3. What does Clare want Rosa to do and how does Rosa react to the request?
4. Who is the old-maid school teacher and what does she do to the Burgers?
5. What does Rosa recollect after the death of the man in the public square concerning her parents, Tony and Conrad?
6. What happens at Ivy and Dick Terblanche's home on the day that Rosa goes to visit?
7. How does Rosa view Clare?
8. How is Rosa's life different than her cousin who carries her name?
9. What cloak and dagger stuff has Rosa been involved in in the past, and what were the results?
10. What recollections does Rosa have and why is she thinking about the past in after her visit to the Terblanche's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Book One, what does Rosa believe about Conrad and what is the significance of this thought at this point in the novel? How does this thought change Rosa?
Essay Topic 2
What is Bernard's role in the novel? Why does Gordimer create his character? What contrasts is the reader made to see through him?
Essay Topic 3
What is Gordimer's point in including Didier in the novel? How does he contrast to Rosa? How is his character a foil character?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)