|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lily?
2. With what were the two hotel rooms where Rosa stayed filled?
3. How does Rosa respond to Clare's request when Clare visits her at her apartment?
4. What is Colette Swan studying when Lionel marries her?
5. What is the name of Lily's baby boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rosa detained and what becomes of her?
2. Who is the old-maid school teacher and what does she do to the Burgers?
3. What does Rosa feel shortly before she leaves Fats' house?
4. What does Katya share with Rosa about her past in the beginning of Pages 262-290?
5. What is the argument that the men have at Fats' home concerning black athletes?
6. What is the first day like of Rosa's visit to Madame Bagnelli's home? How do the two get along? How long does it appear Rosa will stay?
7. How is Rosa's life different than her cousin who carries her name?
8. What politics are the Burgers involved in and what is their stand on the issue?
9. Who does Fats go to visit and what does he express as his need?
10. From pages 62-70, how does Rosa view herself? What does she know about herself that she wishes she could change but won't?
Essay Topic 1
Everyone plays a role in the cause, some are completely embedded in it; others have a hand in it only. Show how the involvement in the cause of four characters is either deep or on the surface but how all involvement is crucial for change.
Essay Topic 2
How has fighting for a cause been too costly for Doctor Lionel Burger and his family?
Essay Topic 3
What is Gordimer's point in including Didier in the novel? How does he contrast to Rosa? How is his character a foil character?
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)