|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends the two letters to Rosa on the anniversary of her father's death?
2. What does Rosa remark that Fats will do if she is caught at his home by the police?
3. What does the schoolmaster say about what blacks want in the discussion at Fats' home?
4. Why do Rosa and Marcus go to Cape Town?
5. What does Rosa know happened at the Providence House that Marisa was unaware of until later?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Noel and Rosa? How long does it last? How does it end?
2. How does Rosa view Clare?
3. What recollections does Rosa have and why is she thinking about the past in after her visit to the Terblanche's home?
4. What do Greer and Rosa see on their ride home from Orlanda and how and why do they react the way that they do?
5. Why do Rosa and Tony go stay with the Nels and for how long?
6. What does Greer offer to give Rosa, and how does she feel about it?
7. Who is the old-maid school teacher and what does she do to the Burgers?
8. How does Conrad see Rosa's childhood and where does he believe it will lead her?
9. What is the relationship between Conrad and Rosa from the time they met to the end of the first section of the book?
10. What happened in the morning in the city that Marisa wants to know more about ,and what does Greer tell her about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Bernard's role in the novel? Why does Gordimer create his character? What contrasts is the reader made to see through him?
Essay Topic 2
How has fighting for a cause been too costly for Doctor Lionel Burger and his family?
Essay Topic 3
If Rosa is the protagonist of the story. Who are the antagonists? Name three antagonists and explain why they are antagonists and how they affect Rosa.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)