Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is mealie?
2. What are the colors of Rosa Burger's uniform?
3. What does the old-maid school teacher do to the Burger family?
4. How many black miners participated in the strike of 1946 in South Africa?
5. What does Clare want from Rosa when she goes to her apartment to see her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rosa detained and what becomes of her?
2. What is the reason for Flora's party? What specifically do the women discuss?
3. How is Rosa's life different than her cousin who carries her name?
4. What horrific event takes place on June 16th 1976 in South Africa?
5. What does Clare want Rosa to do and how does Rosa react to the request?
6. What is the party for that Georges plans and what does Gaby do for Rosa for the party? How does Pierre react?
7. What happened in the morning in the city that Marisa wants to know more about ,and what does Greer tell her about it?
8. What is the meeting between Marisa and Rosa all about?
9. What does Greer offer to give Rosa, and how does she feel about it?
10. What specifically transpires in the first meeting between Brandt and Rosa?
Essay Topic 1
What is Bernard's role in the novel? Why does Gordimer create his character? What contrasts is the reader made to see through him?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Rosa go to France? How does she almost accomplish her goal in going there?
Essay Topic 3
Everyone plays a role in the cause, some are completely embedded in it; others have a hand in it only. Show how the involvement in the cause of four characters is either deep or on the surface but how all involvement is crucial for change.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)