|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main topic of conversation between the men at Fats' home?
2. How does Lionel Burger die?
3. Why is Rosa engaged to Noel de Witt?
4. What is shouted in the courtroom after Lionel Burger speaks?
5. Why is the group knocking at the prison door in the opening pages of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clare want Rosa to do and how does Rosa react to the request?
2. How is Rosa's life different than her cousin who carries her name?
3. What politics are the Burgers involved in and what is their stand on the issue?
4. What is the relationship between Noel and Rosa? How long does it last? How does it end?
5. What happens at Ivy and Dick Terblanche's home on the day that Rosa goes to visit?
6. What offering does the baby boy make to Rosa? Where does the item come from, and what is its significance?
7. How is Rosa's life tragic as shown in the first section of the novel?
8. At the beginning of the novel, how is Rosa's age crucial to the intensity of the story?
9. In the first section of the novel pages 9-39, many points of view are used. Whose points of view is the story told from?
10. Why do Rosa and Tony go stay with the Nels and for how long?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Rosa react concerning her passport before she leaves the country? What is she afraid of? Why is she afraid? What occurrences happen that she reacts to?
Essay Topic 2
Rosa says that it is difficult to live in a country that still has heroes. What does she mean by that, and how does it affect her decision to return home?
Essay Topic 3
What is Gordimer's point in including Didier in the novel? How does he contrast to Rosa? How is his character a foil character?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)