|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hugo Weinschenk and Erica marry, who is wary of the match?
2. How does Tony's avoidance of social situations affect Erica?
3. Why is Christian interested in the house Gieseke keeps for his mistress?
4. After Frau Consul's death, what does Tony inherit?
5. In "Part VI," why does Tom want Tony to return to Munich?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hanno's christening like?
2. In "Part X," why is Tom compare his fortune to the town's fortune?
3. Why does Hugo Weinschenk go to court in "Part VIII"?
4. What happens after Tom sells the family house?
5. In "Part VIII," how does Tony broker a deal for Tom?
6. What does Tom do in "Part VI" when he begins to take his political career seriously?
7. What things occur to end the marriage between Tony and Permaneder?
8. What is Tom's first impression of Permaneder?
9. How does Tom feel about Tony leaving Permaneder in "Part VI"?
10. How does Hugo Weinschenk feel about Christian in "Part VIII"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use colors in this novel? What do they symbolize? How do they serve as a motif?
Essay Topic 2
Follow the history of the Buddenbrook family. What are the major turning points? What are their conflicts? What does this family reveal about their society and times?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the symbolism of the Buddenbrook home. Discuss it from the time it was purchased by the family until its sale.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)