|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gieseke keep a house for his mistress?
2. What makes Erica file for divorce from her husband?
3. How does Tony feel about Hermann Hagenstrom in "Part VII"?
4. What is the first time Tom decides to do after being elected senator?
5. In "Part VIII," how old is Eric?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Frau Consul becomes ill in "Part IX"?
2. What argument do Tom and Christian get into after their mother's death?
3. What is Tom's first impression of Permaneder?
4. What happens during the celebration for the Buddenbrook firm in "Part VIII"?
5. In "Part VI," how does Tony describe Munich when she visits there?
6. How does Tom become a merchant senator?
7. What does Tom do in "Part VI" when he begins to take his political career seriously?
8. How does Tony feel about the marriage of her daughter?
9. What does Erica's husband do when he is released from jail?
10. In "Part VII," what does Christian meet with Tom about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the Kroger family in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
"Buddenbrooks" is considered to be realistic fiction. Analyze this novel in terms of this label.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of decline as it is developed throughout the novel.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)