|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tony cry whenever she passes the family house after it sells?
2. What does Tom decide to do after reading the book in "Part X"?
3. What joke does Tom make about Tony's involvement in Erica's wedding?
4. Who is Babette?
5. When Permaneder comes to the Buddenbrook home in "Part VI," what confuses Frau Consul at first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What book does Tom read in "Part X"?
2. What things occur to end the marriage between Tony and Permaneder?
3. What happens during the war in "Part VII"?
4. What makes Tom fire Christian from the business?
5. What is Tom's first impression of Permaneder?
6. Why does Hugo Weinschenk go to court in "Part VIII"?
7. In "Part VI," how does Tony describe Munich when she visits there?
8. What does Erica's husband do when he is released from jail?
9. What happens during the celebration for the Buddenbrook firm in "Part VIII"?
10. What happens after Tom sells the family house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two Buddenbrook generations.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two conflicts suffered by the Buddenbrook family in this novel. Consider the root of the conflict, how it is treated and the end result.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Tom and Tony. How do these two characters work together to define each other?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)