|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eric do after first meeting Hugo Weinschenk?
2. What does Christian want after Frau Consul's death?
3. In "Part X," why does Tom's town's fortune increase?
4. In "Part X," why does Tom say he can't become a high-level politician?
5. How does Tom compare Permaneder to the Buddenbrooks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the celebration for the Buddenbrook firm in "Part VIII"?
2. What does Erica's husband do when he is released from jail?
3. In "Part VIII," how does Tony broker a deal for Tom?
4. How does Hugo Weinschenk feel about Christian in "Part VIII"?
5. What happens after Tom sells the family house?
6. In "Part VII," what does Christian meet with Tom about?
7. What argument do Tom and Christian get into after their mother's death?
8. What makes Hugo Weinschenk a good match for Erica?
9. How does Tom become a merchant senator?
10. In "Part X," why is Tom compare his fortune to the town's fortune?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of religion in this novel. Examine the religious characters as well as the non-religious characters. Also remember Tom's delving into philosophy that counters religious beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Follow the history of the Buddenbrook family. What are the major turning points? What are their conflicts? What does this family reveal about their society and times?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the symbolism of the Buddenbrook home. Discuss it from the time it was purchased by the family until its sale.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)