|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first time Tom decides to do after being elected senator?
2. How does Tony describe Catholicism in Munich?
3. Why does Erica's husband go to jail?
4. What joke does Tom make about Tony's involvement in Erica's wedding?
5. In "Part VI," what is it rumored Christian said about businessmen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tom's first impression of Permaneder?
2. How does Tom become a merchant senator?
3. What happens during the war in "Part VII"?
4. What book does Tom read in "Part X"?
5. What is Hanno's christening like?
6. What happens when Frau Consul becomes ill in "Part IX"?
7. In "Part VIII," how does Tony broker a deal for Tom?
8. What happens during the celebration for the Buddenbrook firm in "Part VIII"?
9. In "Part VII," what does Christian meet with Tom about?
10. What makes Hugo Weinschenk a good match for Erica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "Buddenbrooks" a message on excess?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the symbolism of the Buddenbrook home. Discuss it from the time it was purchased by the family until its sale.
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the Kroger family in this novel?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)