|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tony decide to return home with Erica in "Part VI"?
2. How old is Hugo Weinschenk in "Part VIII"?
3. Who attends Frau Consul's funeral?
4. Who does Tom discuss German unification with in "Part VI"?
5. What does Permaneder agree to do when he divorces Tony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom do when Christian asks for money in "Part VII"?
2. What makes Hugo Weinschenk a good match for Erica?
3. What is Tom's first impression of Permaneder?
4. What happens during the celebration for the Buddenbrook firm in "Part VIII"?
5. What is Frau Consul's funeral like?
6. How does Tom feel about Tony leaving Permaneder in "Part VI"?
7. In "Part VI," how does Tony describe Munich when she visits there?
8. What does Erica's husband do when he is released from jail?
9. How does bringing Hanno the office make his relationship with Tom worse in "Part X"?
10. What happens when Frau Consul becomes ill in "Part IX"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of religion in this novel. Examine the religious characters as well as the non-religious characters. Also remember Tom's delving into philosophy that counters religious beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two conflicts suffered by the Buddenbrook family in this novel. Consider the root of the conflict, how it is treated and the end result.
Essay Topic 3
How is "Buddenbrooks" a message on excess?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)