|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tony decide to return home with Erica in "Part VI"?
2. In "Part VIII," why is there a celebration for the Buddenbrook firm?
3. Who is Babette?
4. In "Part X," why does Tom say he can't become a high-level politician?
5. What does Eric do after first meeting Hugo Weinschenk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Clara's illness and death affect Tom?
2. How does Hugo Weinschenk feel about Christian in "Part VIII"?
3. What happens after Tom sells the family house?
4. How does Tom feel about Tony leaving Permaneder in "Part VI"?
5. In "Part VIII," how does Tony broker a deal for Tom?
6. What things occur to end the marriage between Tony and Permaneder?
7. What is Tom's first impression of Permaneder?
8. What happens when Frau Consul becomes ill in "Part IX"?
9. What is Hanno's christening like?
10. How does Tony feel about the marriage of her daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the symbolism of the Buddenbrook home. Discuss it from the time it was purchased by the family until its sale.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use colors in this novel? What do they symbolize? How do they serve as a motif?
Essay Topic 3
The author did not intentionally mean for this novel to be a critique of the upper classes, yet it can be read that way. Argue if you feel this novel is critical of the upper classes or not.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)