|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth want another servant in "Part II"?
2. What does the Consul do after being left Johann's business?
3. How does the older generation feel about Napoleon?
4. How does Grunlich propose marriage to Tony?
5. In "Part II," how many female servants does Elizabeth have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Justus do after the Consul dies?
2. What happens when Tom hires Christian in "Part V"?
3. What happens when a Buddenbrook servant refuses to serve the family in "Part IV"?
4. In "Part I," what types of guests come to Buddenbrook home from dinner?
5. What happens during the riot in "Part IV"?
6. How does the Consul say Josephine's death affected Johann?
7. What does Gotthold demand in a letter in "Part I"?
8. In "Part I," what does Johann Buddenbrook decide to do about Gotthold's letter?
9. Why does Tony want her mother to visit in "Part IV"?
10. In "Part II," how does Tony react to being at boarding school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the significance of the author's use of actual historical events in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Tom and Tony. How do these two characters work together to define each other?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of decline as it is developed throughout the novel.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)