|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Part II," what does the Consul about love in his marriage to Elizabeth?
2. How does Tony get her face scratched by Julie?
3. In "Part III," what does Morten do when Tony invites him to spend time with her friends?
4. How does Clara meet her husband?
5. How do Gotthold's daughters feel about Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Part I," what does Johann Buddenbrook decide to do about Gotthold's letter?
2. How do Tom and Christian compare to each other?
3. In "Part I," what types of guests come to Buddenbrook home from dinner?
4. In "Part I," how do the Buddenbrook guests feel about Napoleon?
5. In "Part III," what does Tony do when she returns from the beach house?
6. In "Part IV," what is revealed about Grunlich's business?
7. How does the Consul say Josephine's death affected Johann?
8. How does Tony meet Morten?
9. What is Tony's first impression of Grunlich?
10. What does Tom do when he takes over his father's business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast two conflicts suffered by the Buddenbrook family in this novel. Consider the root of the conflict, how it is treated and the end result.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the significance of the author's use of actual historical events in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
What commentary does the author provide about social class divides? Consider the marriages that take place in this novel that cross social class lines.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)