|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the wealth of the Krogers compare to the wealth of the Buddenbrooks?
2. What amount of the proceeds of the house does Gotthold request in "Part I"?
3. During the riot in "Part IV," what is Kroger worried about?
4. Why does Gotthold feel he should receive some of the Buddenbrook family money?
5. In "Part V," what does Christian do when he comes into the office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Herr Kroger during the riot?
2. What happens when a Buddenbrook servant refuses to serve the family in "Part IV"?
3. What happens to Tony after spending summers with the Krogers?
4. How does Clara's mother help her get married?
5. How does the Consul say Josephine's death affected Johann?
6. In "Part I," how do the Buddenbrook guests feel about Napoleon?
7. How does Johann Buddenbrook describe the way he acquired Buddenbrook home?
8. In "Part III," what does Tony do when she returns from the beach house?
9. What is Tony's first impression of Grunlich?
10. What is Christian like when he returns home in "Part V"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of political strife in this novel. Keep in mind the process to reunify Germany, the radicals and the rioters.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of decline as it is developed throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of the Kroger family in this novel?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)