|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Part V," what does Tony say she fears?
2. What is Morten studying to be?
3. How does the Buddenbrook dinner end in "Part I"?
4. In "Part V," what does Christian do when he comes into the office?
5. What does Tony write to her mother in the second letter she sends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Consul react when Elizabeth says she wants to hire another servant in "Part II"?
2. What happens to Herr Kroger during the riot?
3. What do the men do after dinner in "Part I"?
4. What does Grunlich do when he learns about Tony's letter to her father concerning Morten?
5. In "Part III," what does Tony do when she returns from the beach house?
6. How does the Consul say Josephine's death affected Johann?
7. In "Part I," what types of guests come to Buddenbrook home from dinner?
8. What does Justus do after the Consul dies?
9. In "Part II," how does Tony react to being at boarding school?
10. How does Johann Buddenbrook describe the way he acquired Buddenbrook home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What commentary does the author provide about social class divides? Consider the marriages that take place in this novel that cross social class lines.
Essay Topic 2
How does this novel work to define what good character traits are? What is significant about these attributes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two conflicts suffered by the Buddenbrook family in this novel. Consider the root of the conflict, how it is treated and the end result.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)