|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tom make Christian an assistant?
2. What month does Tony marry Grunlich?
3. In "Part IV," what does Grunlich do to keep Tony from visiting people?
4. Why does the Consul want to see if Tony loves Grunlich in "Part IV"?
5. After the Consul dies, what does Tom decide to do with the business?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Part II," how does Tony react to being at boarding school?
2. What does Grunlich do when he learns about Tony's letter to her father concerning Morten?
3. What happens during the riot in "Part IV"?
4. How does Clara's mother help her get married?
5. What does Gotthold demand in a letter in "Part I"?
6. How does Tony meet Morten?
7. In "Part IV," what is revealed about Grunlich's business?
8. How does the Consul react when Elizabeth says she wants to hire another servant in "Part II"?
9. Why does the Consul meet with Tony privately in "Part IV"?
10. What are Morten's political beliefs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of the Kroger family in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author provide about social class divides? Consider the marriages that take place in this novel that cross social class lines.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast two conflicts suffered by the Buddenbrook family in this novel. Consider the root of the conflict, how it is treated and the end result.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)