|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Part I," whose lap does Antonie sit on when she recites her catechism?
2. In "Part I," what does the Consul's mother tell him to do about Gotthold's demand for money?
3. In "Part II," how does the Consul describe Christian in comparison to Tom?
4. What does Gotthold want to know while attending his father's funeral?
5. After the Consul dies, what does Tom decide to do with the business?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Tony after spending summers with the Krogers?
2. In "Part I," what does Johann Buddenbrook decide to do about Gotthold's letter?
3. How does the Consul react when Elizabeth says she wants to hire another servant in "Part II"?
4. How does the Consul say Josephine's death affected Johann?
5. How does Tom meet his wife?
6. In "Part I," what types of guests come to Buddenbrook home from dinner?
7. What happens when a Buddenbrook servant refuses to serve the family in "Part IV"?
8. What does Justus do after the Consul dies?
9. How does Clara's mother help her get married?
10. In "Part II," how does the Consul describe his marriage to Elizabeth Kroger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use colors in this novel? What do they symbolize? How do they serve as a motif?
Essay Topic 2
The author did not intentionally mean for this novel to be a critique of the upper classes, yet it can be read that way. Argue if you feel this novel is critical of the upper classes or not.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Tom and Tony. How do these two characters work together to define each other?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)