|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hanno think of his father's work and office in "Part X"?
(a) That it is fake.
(b) That it is boring.
(c) That it is confusing.
(d) That it is exciting.
2. In "Part IX," how many doctors does Tom have to consult with about his mother?
3. In "Part VIII," why does Tony avoid social situations?
(a) She is ashamed of her divorces.
(b) She is trying to protect her daughter's money.
(c) She wants to keep her life private.
(d) She isn't invited to anything.
4. How does Tom feel about Christian marrying the woman with the children in "Part IX"?
(a) He thinks it is a nice, but stupid idea.
(b) He won't say anything about it.
(c) He thinks it is a horrible idea.
(d) He thinks it is a great idea.
5. What makes Erica file for divorce from her husband?
(a) He is accused of tax and insurance fraud.
(b) He doesn't see her when he is out of prison.
(c) He went to prison.
(d) He runs away with a woman when he is released from prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Tom angry after Clara dies?
2. Why does the narrator say Hugo Weinschenk hasn't taken a wife yet in "Part VIII"?
3. After Frau Consul's death, what does Tony inherit?
4. When Permaneder comes to the Buddenbrook home in "Part VI," what confuses Frau Consul at first?
5. How does Tony's avoidance of social situations affect Erica?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the war in "Part VII"?
2. What is Frau Consul's funeral like?
3. What happens during the celebration for the Buddenbrook firm in "Part VIII"?
4. What makes Tom fire Christian from the business?
5. Why does Hugo Weinschenk go to court in "Part VIII"?
6. What is Hanno's christening like?
7. What book does Tom read in "Part X"?
8. What argument do Tom and Christian get into after their mother's death?
9. How does Tom become a merchant senator?
10. In "Part VIII," how does Tony broker a deal for Tom?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)