|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Frau Consul beg the doctors for narcotics?
(a) She wants to die.
(b) She is addicted to them.
(c) She wants to give them to Tony.
(d) She wants them to sleep.
2. In "Part VI," what political position does Tom aspire to?
(a) To be part of parliament.
(b) To be a counsel member.
(c) To lead the city.
(d) To be a lord.
3. How does Tom feel during the election running against Hermann Hagenstrom?
(a) He feels he will win.
(b) He feels he will lose.
(c) He is worried.
(d) He never lets anyone see how he feels during the election.
4. Why does Tom agree to give Christian money in "Part VI"?
(a) Because he loves his brother.
(b) Because he wants him to leave.
(c) Because he doesn't want to get sued.
(d) Because his father set it aside for him.
5. What role is Tom elected to in "Part VII"?
(a) City senator.
(b) Master senator.
(c) Merchant senator.
(d) State senator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Permaneder decide to stop working?
2. What does Tom decide to do after reading the book in "Part X"?
3. How does Tony's avoidance of social situations affect Erica?
4. What does Christian want after Frau Consul's death?
5. While Tony is away in Munich, what does Christian do that upsets Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during the war in "Part VII"?
2. What makes Tom fire Christian from the business?
3. What is Tom's first impression of Permaneder?
4. How does bringing Hanno the office make his relationship with Tom worse in "Part X"?
5. In "Part X," why is Tom compare his fortune to the town's fortune?
6. What makes Hugo Weinschenk a good match for Erica?
7. What happens during the celebration for the Buddenbrook firm in "Part VIII"?
8. What book does Tom read in "Part X"?
9. Why does Hugo Weinschenk go to court in "Part VIII"?
10. What things occur to end the marriage between Tony and Permaneder?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)