|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gotthold feel he should receive some of the Buddenbrook family money?
(a) He says it's his birthright.
(b) He never says why.
(c) He was promised some of the money.
(d) He was never paid for his services.
2. What does the head of the Schwartzkopf family do for a living?
(a) He is a sailor.
(b) He is a pilot.
(c) He is an author.
(d) He is a businessman.
3. How do Gotthold's daughters feel about Tom?
(a) They fear him.
(b) They respect him.
(c) They love him.
(d) They dislike him.
4. In "Part V," what do Christian's family members think of his stories?
(a) They think they are strange.
(b) They think they are boring.
(c) They think they are exotic.
(d) They think they are made-up.
5. How does Grunlich propose marriage to Tony?
(a) He sends her a contract.
(b) With a letter.
(c) In person.
(d) He asks her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the riot in "Part IV," what is Kroger worried about?
2. What makes Tony say she will consider Grunlich's proposal?
3. In "Part III,, what interrupts Tom's secret romance with Anna?
4. Why does the Consul decide to send Tony to a boarding school?
5. Why does Justus come to town in "Part V"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Tony's parents support Grunlich's proposal of marriage?
2. What does Justus do after the Consul dies?
3. What is Tony's first impression of Grunlich?
4. What happens to Herr Kroger during the riot?
5. In "Part III," what does Tony do when she returns from the beach house?
6. In "Part IV," what is revealed about Grunlich's business?
7. In "Part I," what types of guests come to Buddenbrook home from dinner?
8. What are Morten's political beliefs?
9. In "Part I," how do the Buddenbrook guests feel about Napoleon?
10. How do Tom and Christian compare to each other?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)