|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Part V," what does Tony say she fears?
(a) Going broke.
(b) Gerda's presense in the house.
(c) Her daughter's lack of an education.
(d) Never remarrying.
2. What makes Tony say she will consider Grunlich's proposal?
(a) When Grunlich buys her jewelry.
(b) When Grunlich cries.
(c) When her parents threaten her.
(d) When Grunlich writes a poem.
3. What does Grunlich say about his courting of Tony in "Part IV"?
(a) He loved her.
(b) He was after her dowry.
(c) He was forced into the courtship.
(d) He lost his money buying her presents.
4. Why does Tom make Christian an assistant?
(a) Because of Christian's experience in London.
(b) Because they are related.
(c) Because Christian begs him.
(d) Because of Christian's work ethic.
5. In "Part II," what does the Consul about love in his marriage to Elizabeth?
(a) That he did not marry for love.
(b) That he married for love.
(c) That he loves someone else.
(d) That he has fallen out of love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Morten studying to be?
2. Why does Tony tell Morten about Grunlich's proposal?
3. Why does the Consul take Tony and Erica home with him?
4. In "Part IV," where does Tom go on business?
5. In "Part V," why does Tony want to take a vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Part I," what types of guests come to Buddenbrook home from dinner?
2. What are Morten's political beliefs?
3. What is Tony's first impression of Grunlich?
4. How does the Consul react when Elizabeth says she wants to hire another servant in "Part II"?
5. What does Gotthold demand in a letter in "Part I"?
6. What happens during the riot in "Part IV"?
7. What do the men do after dinner in "Part I"?
8. What happens when Tom hires Christian in "Part V"?
9. In "Part II," how does Tony react to being at boarding school?
10. What happens when a Buddenbrook servant refuses to serve the family in "Part IV"?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)