|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Gerda stand at the end of "Part V"?
(a) On a stage.
(b) Next to a table.
(c) In a doorway.
(d) On the porch.
2. Why does Gotthold feel he should receive some of the Buddenbrook family money?
(a) He was never paid for his services.
(b) He never says why.
(c) He was promised some of the money.
(d) He says it's his birthright.
3. In "Part V," why does Tony want to take a vacation?
(a) Because she is bored.
(b) Because she has extra money to spend.
(c) Because she wants to study abroad.
(d) Because she wants to be alone.
4. Why was Gotthold cut off from family money?
(a) For marrying a woman the family disapproved of.
(b) For moving to the Americas.
(c) For being born out of wedlock.
(d) For going to jail.
5. Why does the Consul decide to send Tony to a boarding school?
(a) Because she starts scaring strangers in the street.
(b) Because she gets into a fight with a boy.
(c) Because she stops working in school.
(d) Because she starts stealing from stores.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Part IV," what do rioters do to the town hall?
2. In "Part V," what do Christian's family members think of his stories?
3. After spending time with the Krogers in "Part II," how does Tony change?
4. In "Part IV," where does Tom go on business?
5. In "Part II," how does the Consul describe Christian in comparison to Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the men do after dinner in "Part I"?
2. How does Tom meet his wife?
3. What does Gotthold demand in a letter in "Part I"?
4. What happens to Herr Kroger during the riot?
5. How does Clara's mother help her get married?
6. What happens to Tony after spending summers with the Krogers?
7. How does the Consul say Josephine's death affected Johann?
8. In "Part III," what does Tony do when she returns from the beach house?
9. In "Part I," how do the Buddenbrook guests feel about Napoleon?
10. How does the Consul react when Elizabeth says she wants to hire another servant in "Part II"?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)