|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes the servant to be fired from the Buddenbrook home in "Part IV"?
(a) They get into a physical fight with Christian.
(b) They refuse to serve the family.
(c) They are caught with a maid.
(d) They stop showing up for work.
2. What does the Consul do after being left Johann's business?
(a) Brings Tom into the business.
(b) Hires Christian.
(c) Tries to sell the business.
(d) Calls Gotthold for help.
3. In "Part II," what does the Consul say about Johann's second marriage?
(a) It is a sham.
(b) It only has love.
(c) It has no respect and no love.
(d) It has respect but not love.
4. Why does the Consul decide to send Tony to a boarding school?
(a) Because she starts scaring strangers in the street.
(b) Because she stops working in school.
(c) Because she starts stealing from stores.
(d) Because she gets into a fight with a boy.
5. After Consul Kroger dies, what happens to his estate?
(a) It is left to Justus.
(b) It is sold.
(c) It is demolished.
(d) It is turned into a museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Consul take Tony and Erica home with him?
2. What did the Buddenbrooks do during the war with Napoleon?
3. In "Part II," what does Tony have for breakfast each morning?
4. Why does Tony tell Morten about Grunlich's proposal?
5. In "Part I," who is the first guest to arrive at Buddenbrook house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Consul say Josephine's death affected Johann?
2. How does Johann Buddenbrook describe the way he acquired Buddenbrook home?
3. What does Tom do when he takes over his father's business?
4. Why does the Consul meet with Tony privately in "Part IV"?
5. What does Justus do after the Consul dies?
6. What do the men do after dinner in "Part I"?
7. What does Grunlich do when he learns about Tony's letter to her father concerning Morten?
8. How does the Consul react when Elizabeth says she wants to hire another servant in "Part II"?
9. How does Tony meet Morten?
10. In "Part II," how does the Consul describe his marriage to Elizabeth Kroger?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)