|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the head of the city attend Hanno's christening?
(a) Because he is related to Gerda.
(b) Because he went to the wrong church.
(c) Because of Tom's social status.
(d) Because he is trying to scare Tom.
2. How does Tony describe Catholicism in Munich?
3. Why does Tom agree to give Christian money in "Part VI"?
(a) Because he loves his brother.
(b) Because his father set it aside for him.
(c) Because he wants him to leave.
(d) Because he doesn't want to get sued.
4. How does Tony feel about the selling the family house?
(a) She wants more money for it.
(b) She wants to donate the house.
(c) She is against it.
(d) She doesn't have an opinion about the sale.
5. In "Part VIII," why does Tony avoid social situations?
(a) She isn't invited to anything.
(b) She wants to keep her life private.
(c) She is ashamed of her divorces.
(d) She is trying to protect her daughter's money.
6. How does the war in "Part VII" affect Tom's business?
(a) Many people quit their jobs.
(b) They make more money.
(c) Business stays the same.
(d) They suffer from losses.
7. Who is Babette?
(a) A secretary in Munich.
(b) One of Permaneder's cousins.
(c) Erica's friend.
(d) One of Tony's servants.
8. In "Part VI," what political position does Tom aspire to?
(a) To be a lord.
(b) To lead the city.
(c) To be a counsel member.
(d) To be part of parliament.
9. In "Part VIII," why is there a celebration for the Buddenbrook firm?
(a) They have been in business for 100 years.
(b) They have made large profits.
(c) They have acquired a smaller company.
(d) They want to show off to the town.
10. Why does Tom visit a doctor in "Part X"?
(a) Because he hurts his foot.
(b) Because of a toothache.
(c) Because of chest pains.
(d) Because of a headache.
11. What is the first time Tom decides to do after being elected senator?
(a) Buy new clothes.
(b) Take a vacation.
(c) Build a new house.
(d) Create a public garden.
12. How does Tony's avoidance of social situations affect Erica?
(a) She hasn't met anyone her age.
(b) She doesn't want to go to any social events.
(c) She doesn't have any nice clothes.
(d) She hasn't learned table manners.
13. Who attends Frau Consul's funeral?
(a) Very few people.
(b) The entire town.
(c) Family and local dignitaries.
(d) Only family.
14. Who does Tom discuss German unification with in "Part VI"?
(a) His friends.
(b) The nobility.
(c) His children.
(d) His brother.
15. Why does the narrator say Hugo Weinschenk hasn't taken a wife yet in "Part VIII"?
(a) Because he is picky.
(b) Because of the shame associated with his name.
(c) Because of his busy schedule.
(d) Because of his lack of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Tony is away in Munich, what does Christian do that upsets Tom?
2. What does Christian want after Frau Consul's death?
3. Why does Tom fall in "Part X"?
4. What does Eric do after first meeting Hugo Weinschenk?
5. When their son is born in "Part VII," why does it settle Gerda's fears?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)