|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Christian interested in the house Gieseke keeps for his mistress?
(a) He wants to build one like it.
(b) He wants to move into it.
(c) He visits there also.
(d) He wants to buy it.
2. Why is James Mollendorf of interest to Tom?
(a) Because they went to school together.
(b) Because he will inherit money.
(c) Because he can buy Mollendorf's business.
(d) Because he opens up a political seat.
3. Who brings Tom home after he falls in "Part X"?
(d) A group of nuns.
4. At Hanno's christening, what do some of Tom's family members say about the baby?
(a) That he is beautiful.
(b) That he doesn't resemble Tom.
(c) That he will have much responsibility.
(d) That he looks sick.
5. Why does Tony move in with Erica after she is married?
(a) To help her run the house.
(b) Because she says she is lonely.
(c) Because she needs a place to stay.
(d) To help her clean the house.
6. Where does Gieseke keep a house for his mistress?
(a) On the edge of town.
(b) On the coast.
(c) In Paris.
(d) In Munich.
7. Where does Frau Consul suffer from an infection in "Part IX"?
(a) Her stomach.
(b) Her lungs.
(c) Her heart.
(d) Her blood.
8. In "Part VII," why does Christian say he has gone into debt?
(a) He didn't want to take money from his business.
(b) He never learned to keep his books.
(c) He has been borrowing money to gamble with.
(d) He has been using credit to pay for things.
9. How does Hugo Weinschenk try to help Christian in "Part VIII"?
(a) He gives him a job.
(b) He loans him money.
(c) He rents a room to him.
(d) He sends him on a vacation.
10. What happens to Frau Consul before she dies?
(a) Her breathing becomes fast.
(b) Her lungs fill with fluid.
(c) She slips into a coma.
(d) He pulse weakens.
11. What joke does Tom make about Tony's involvement in Erica's wedding?
(a) He says she is getting married for the third time.
(b) He says she shouldn't give marriage advice.
(c) He says she is a bad luck charm.
(d) He says she has broken the curse.
12. When Hugo Weinschenk and Erica marry, who is wary of the match?
(b) Frau Consel.
13. How old is Hugo Weinschenk in "Part VIII"?
(a) Early 30s.
(b) Early 20s.
(c) Early 50s.
(d) Early 40s.
14. What does Hanno think of his father's work and office in "Part X"?
(a) That it is exciting.
(b) That it is confusing.
(c) That it is fake.
(d) That it is boring.
15. Why does the head of the city attend Hanno's christening?
(a) Because of Tom's social status.
(b) Because he went to the wrong church.
(c) Because he is trying to scare Tom.
(d) Because he is related to Gerda.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom feel about selling the family house?
2. In "Part VIII," why is there a celebration for the Buddenbrook firm?
3. Why does Tom approve of Permaneder as a suitor for Tony?
4. Why does the narrator say Hugo Weinschenk hasn't taken a wife yet in "Part VIII"?
5. In "Part X," why does Tom's town's fortune increase?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)