|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom's mother change after her husband's death?
(a) She reads more.
(b) She starts spending more money.
(c) She becomes more religious.
(d) She begins collecting French art.
2. How much time has passed between "Part I" and "Part II"?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Four years.
(d) One year.
3. What does Johann do the night a riot breaks out in front of his house?
(a) He goes into hiding.
(b) He attends a meeting.
(c) He writes to his brother.
(d) He decides to move.
4. When Tony returns from the beach house in "Part III," what has Grunlich sent her?
(a) A poem.
(b) A dress.
(c) A ring.
(d) A series of novels.
5. How does Gotthold tell the Buddenbrook family he wants money?
(a) He visits his grandfather.
(b) He sends a telegram to his mother.
(c) He writes in to a newspaper.
(d) He sends a letter to the Consul.
6. In the beginning of "Part III", what is the Consul's family all reading?
7. After Consul Kroger dies, what happens to his estate?
(a) It is turned into a museum.
(b) It is left to Justus.
(c) It is sold.
(d) It is demolished.
8. Where do the men go after dinner in "Part I"?
(a) The sitting room.
(b) The billiards room.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) A local pub.
9. In "Part V," why does Tony want to take a vacation?
(a) Because she has extra money to spend.
(b) Because she wants to be alone.
(c) Because she is bored.
(d) Because she wants to study abroad.
10. Who goes with Tony to the Schwartzkopf's home in "Part III"?
(a) The Consul.
11. Where do the Krogers have an estate?
(a) Near the mountains.
(b) On the coast of Boarder Sea.
(c) Inside Berlin.
(d) Outside Castle Gate.
12. In "Part V," what does Tony say she fears?
(a) Gerda's presense in the house.
(b) Her daughter's lack of an education.
(c) Never remarrying.
(d) Going broke.
13. What does Gotthold want to know while attending his father's funeral?
(a) If he can move into Buddenbrook home.
(b) Gottold doesn't talk at the funeral.
(c) Where the pictures of his mother are.
(d) How much money he will receive.
14. How does Tony describe her first impression of Grunlich?
15. What does Tony do while Tom is away on his honeymoon?
(a) She takes some money from him.
(b) She fixes a house for him.
(c) She moves out of the house.
(d) She runs the business for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the Consul to become angry with the mob in "Part IV"?
2. How does the wealth of the Krogers compare to the wealth of the Buddenbrooks?
3. How does Clara meet her husband?
4. How does Gotthold become the Consul to the Netherlands?
5. How does the Buddenbrook dinner end in "Part I"?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)