|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom's mother change after her husband's death?
(a) She reads more.
(b) She begins collecting French art.
(c) She becomes more religious.
(d) She starts spending more money.
2. What does the head of the Schwartzkopf family do for a living?
(a) He is a businessman.
(b) He is an author.
(c) He is a sailor.
(d) He is a pilot.
3. Where do the Krogers have an estate?
(a) On the coast of Boarder Sea.
(b) Near the mountains.
(c) Inside Berlin.
(d) Outside Castle Gate.
4. Where does Gerda stand at the end of "Part V"?
(a) On a stage.
(b) On the porch.
(c) Next to a table.
(d) In a doorway.
5. How does Gotthold become the Consul to the Netherlands?
(a) The Consul stated it in his will.
(b) He doesn't become the Consul to the Netherlands.
(c) He earns the promotion himself.
(d) Tom appoints him.
6. How does Tony get her face scratched by Julie?
(a) When she tries to avoid kissing Hermann.
(b) When she shoves Julie down a hill.
(c) While they try to stop falling down a hill.
(d) While she is sleeping.
7. Why does Tom make Christian an assistant?
(a) Because Christian begs him.
(b) Because of Christian's experience in London.
(c) Because of Christian's work ethic.
(d) Because they are related.
8. Why does Tony tell Morten about Grunlich's proposal?
(a) She is nervous and blurts it out.
(b) She wants him to know the truth.
(c) She wants him to leave her alone.
(d) She wants him to fight with Grunlich.
9. How does Tony describe her first impression of Grunlich?
10. In "Part I," who is the first guest to arrive at Buddenbrook house?
(a) The doctor.
(b) The counselman.
(c) The poet.
(d) The teacher.
11. Where do the men go after dinner in "Part I"?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) The sitting room.
(c) A local pub.
(d) The billiards room.
12. How did Johann Buddenbrook acquire Buddenbrook home?
(a) He was left it in a will.
(b) He built it himself.
(c) His firm acquired it.
(d) He bought it from his mother.
13. What day of the week do the Buddenbrooks gather at the Buddenbrook house?
14. In "Part V," what do Christian's family members think of his stories?
(a) They think they are exotic.
(b) They think they are made-up.
(c) They think they are boring.
(d) They think they are strange.
15. In "Part II," how does the Consul describe Christian in comparison to Tom?
(a) He is less serious.
(b) He is more angry.
(c) He is less responsible.
(d) He is better with business matters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Christian's strange talent?
2. Why does the Consul want to see if Tony loves Grunlich in "Part IV"?
3. Who goes with Tony to the Schwartzkopf's home in "Part III"?
4. How does Clara meet her husband?
5. What does Gotthold want to know while attending his father's funeral?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)