|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Consul take Tony and Erica home with him?
(a) To give Tony a vacation.
(b) To get them away from Grunlich.
(c) To help Tony take care of Erica.
(d) Grunlich asks him to.
2. In "Part II," what does the Consul about love in his marriage to Elizabeth?
(a) That he loves someone else.
(b) That he did not marry for love.
(c) That he married for love.
(d) That he has fallen out of love.
3. During the riot in "Part IV," what is Kroger worried about?
(a) His health.
(b) His carriage arriving.
(c) His daughter's safety.
(d) His money he has hidden.
4. What does the Consul do after being left Johann's business?
(a) Hires Christian.
(b) Brings Tom into the business.
(c) Calls Gotthold for help.
(d) Tries to sell the business.
5. What does Tony write to her mother in the second letter she sends?
(a) She asks to be sent on a vacation.
(b) She spreads rumors about Grunlich.
(c) She gives updates about her health.
(d) She announces the birth of her daughter.
6. In "Part II," how does the Consul describe Christian in comparison to Tom?
(a) He is less serious.
(b) He is better with business matters.
(c) He is more angry.
(d) He is less responsible.
7. How does the Buddenbrook dinner end in "Part I"?
(a) With joke telling.
(b) With a poem.
(c) With a prayer.
(d) With a dance.
8. In "Part I," whose lap does Antonie sit on when she recites her catechism?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
9. Why was Gotthold cut off from family money?
(a) For marrying a woman the family disapproved of.
(b) For going to jail.
(c) For being born out of wedlock.
(d) For moving to the Americas.
10. How much time has passed between "Part I" and "Part II"?
(a) One year.
(b) Three years.
(c) Four years.
(d) Two years.
11. What amount of the proceeds of the house does Gotthold request in "Part I"?
(b) He never says the exact amount.
12. What did the Buddenbrooks do during the war with Napoleon?
(a) They hid in England.
(b) They joined the army.
(c) They helped build navy ships.
(d) They boarded French troops.
13. Where do the Krogers have an estate?
(a) Near the mountains.
(b) Outside Castle Gate.
(c) Inside Berlin.
(d) On the coast of Boarder Sea.
14. In "Part IV," what do rioters do to the town hall?
(a) They host a meeting.
(b) They throw bricks at it.
(c) They board up the windows and doors.
(d) They try to light it on fire.
15. In "Part III," what does Morten do when Tony invites him to spend time with her friends?
(a) He tells her he has to leave town.
(b) He insults a few of them.
(c) He decides to read alone instead.
(d) He is too shy to talk with them.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Consul Kroger dies, what happens to his estate?
2. What does Tony do while Tom is away on his honeymoon?
3. In "Part V," where does Christian travel from to return home?
4. When Tony returns from the beach house in "Part III," what has Grunlich sent her?
5. What causes the servant to be fired from the Buddenbrook home in "Part IV"?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)