|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Tony say she will consider Grunlich's proposal?
(a) When her parents threaten her.
(b) When Grunlich buys her jewelry.
(c) When Grunlich cries.
(d) When Grunlich writes a poem.
2. Why does the Consul want to see if Tony loves Grunlich in "Part IV"?
(a) To know if he should send his daughter on vacation.
(b) To please his wife.
(c) To know if he was wrong.
(d) To know if he should invest money in Grunlich.
3. What does Gotthold want to know while attending his father's funeral?
(a) Gottold doesn't talk at the funeral.
(b) How much money he will receive.
(c) If he can move into Buddenbrook home.
(d) Where the pictures of his mother are.
4. Where does Tom go on his honeymoon?
5. How does Clara meet her husband?
(a) It is an arranged marriage.
(b) She meets him at work.
(c) Her mother invites him over to preach.
(d) Tom hires him to clean their house.
6. In "Part III,, what interrupts Tom's secret romance with Anna?
(a) Her husband.
(b) A business trip.
(c) His religion.
(d) Tony's wedding.
7. How much time has passed between "Part I" and "Part II"?
(a) Three years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Four years.
(d) One year.
8. What did the Buddenbrooks do during the war with Napoleon?
(a) They boarded French troops.
(b) They joined the army.
(c) They hid in England.
(d) They helped build navy ships.
9. How does the wealth of the Krogers compare to the wealth of the Buddenbrooks?
(a) The Buddenbrooks have more money.
(b) The Krogers are in a much lower social class.
(c) They have the same amount of money.
(d) The Krogers have more money.
10. In the beginning of "Part III", what is the Consul's family all reading?
11. Where do the men go after dinner in "Part I"?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) A local pub.
(c) The billiards room.
(d) The sitting room.
12. Why does the Consul decide to send Tony to a boarding school?
(a) Because she stops working in school.
(b) Because she starts scaring strangers in the street.
(c) Because she starts stealing from stores.
(d) Because she gets into a fight with a boy.
13. How did Johann Buddenbrook acquire Buddenbrook home?
(a) He was left it in a will.
(b) He built it himself.
(c) He bought it from his mother.
(d) His firm acquired it.
14. In "Part I," what aspect of the Buddenbrook home do the guests discuss?
(a) Its number of fireplaces.
(b) Its plasterwork.
(c) Its location.
(d) Its age.
15. In "Part IV," what does Grunlich do to keep Tony from visiting people?
(a) He won't let her write invitations.
(b) He refuses to buy a carriage.
(c) He won't buy her new shoes.
(d) He screens her mail before she reads it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Herr Gratjens do for a living?
2. What do the men argue about after dinner in "Part I"?
3. What does the Consul do after being left Johann's business?
4. Where does Grunlich die?
5. When does Herr Kroger die?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)