|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the men go after dinner in "Part I"?
(a) The sitting room.
(b) A local pub.
(c) The billiards room.
(d) The kitchen.
2. Why does Tony tell Morten about Grunlich's proposal?
(a) She wants him to fight with Grunlich.
(b) She is nervous and blurts it out.
(c) She wants him to leave her alone.
(d) She wants him to know the truth.
3. After spending time with the Krogers in "Part II," how does Tony change?
(a) She becomes angry.
(b) She becomes spoiled.
(c) She becomes educated.
(d) She becomes fearful.
4. How does Tom's mother change after her husband's death?
(a) She reads more.
(b) She begins collecting French art.
(c) She becomes more religious.
(d) She starts spending more money.
5. Why do Tony's parents think Grunlich is a good match for her?
(a) Because of his title.
(b) Because of his wealth.
(c) Because he is a respectable man.
(d) Because of his kindness.
6. In "Part IV," what are the lower classes insisting upon?
(a) Vacation days.
(b) Better pay.
(c) Health care.
(d) Voting rights.
7. What years is it in the beginning of "Part I"?
8. Why does the Consul decide to sent Tony to their beach house in "Part III"?
(a) To avoid her.
(b) To keep her away from Grunlich.
(c) To prove he loves her.
(d) To improve her mood.
9. How does the Buddenbrook dinner end in "Part I"?
(a) With a dance.
(b) With joke telling.
(c) With a prayer.
(d) With a poem.
10. What is Morten studying to be?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A journalist.
11. What does Herr Gratjens do for a living?
(a) He is a doctor.
(b) He is a pastor.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He is a broker.
12. Where does Tom go on his honeymoon?
13. Where does Gerda stand at the end of "Part V"?
(a) Next to a table.
(b) In a doorway.
(c) On the porch.
(d) On a stage.
14. Why does Gotthold feel he should receive some of the Buddenbrook family money?
(a) He never says why.
(b) He says it's his birthright.
(c) He was never paid for his services.
(d) He was promised some of the money.
15. What causes the servant to be fired from the Buddenbrook home in "Part IV"?
(a) They stop showing up for work.
(b) They get into a physical fight with Christian.
(c) They are caught with a maid.
(d) They refuse to serve the family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the wealth of the Krogers compare to the wealth of the Buddenbrooks?
2. In "Part III," what does Morten do when Tony invites him to spend time with her friends?
3. Where do the Krogers have an estate?
4. How much time has passed between "Part I" and "Part II"?
5. How does Tony describe her first impression of Grunlich?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)