|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Consul decide to send Tony to a boarding school?
(a) Because she starts scaring strangers in the street.
(b) Because she gets into a fight with a boy.
(c) Because she stops working in school.
(d) Because she starts stealing from stores.
2. When does Herr Kroger die?
(a) When the mob attacks him.
(b) When he is sleeping at a town hall meeting.
(c) When the Consul helps him home.
(d) When his house catches fire.
3. What does Gotthold want to know while attending his father's funeral?
(a) How much money he will receive.
(b) If he can move into Buddenbrook home.
(c) Gottold doesn't talk at the funeral.
(d) Where the pictures of his mother are.
4. In "Part III," what does Morten do when Tony invites him to spend time with her friends?
(a) He is too shy to talk with them.
(b) He tells her he has to leave town.
(c) He decides to read alone instead.
(d) He insults a few of them.
5. After the Consul dies, what does Tom decide to do with the business?
(a) Move the headquarters.
(b) Take it over.
(c) Rename it.
(d) Sell it.
6. How do Morten's political views compare to Tony's?
(a) He is less interested in politics.
(b) He is more conservative.
(c) He is more liberal.
(d) They are similar.
7. What amount of the proceeds of the house does Gotthold request in "Part I"?
(d) He never says the exact amount.
8. In "Part II," what does Tony have for breakfast each morning?
(a) Hot chocolate.
(b) Fried eggs.
(c) Fruit and cheese.
9. How does Tom's mother change after her husband's death?
(a) She starts spending more money.
(b) She becomes more religious.
(c) She begins collecting French art.
(d) She reads more.
10. In "Part I," whose lap does Antonie sit on when she recites her catechism?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her grandfather.
11. What makes Tony say she will consider Grunlich's proposal?
(a) When Grunlich buys her jewelry.
(b) When Grunlich cries.
(c) When Grunlich writes a poem.
(d) When her parents threaten her.
12. In "Part III," who does Grunlich confront about Morten's relationship with Tony?
(a) Morten's father.
(d) Tony's father.
13. How do Gotthold's daughters feel about Tom?
(a) They respect him.
(b) They love him.
(c) They dislike him.
(d) They fear him.
14. What does the Consul do after being left Johann's business?
(a) Calls Gotthold for help.
(b) Tries to sell the business.
(c) Hires Christian.
(d) Brings Tom into the business.
15. What do the men argue about after dinner in "Part I"?
(a) The reunification of Germany.
(b) The arts.
(d) Recent science developments.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clara meet her husband?
2. Where does Gerda stand at the end of "Part V"?
3. Why does the Consul believe Johann blames Gotthold for the death of Josephine?
4. Where do the men go after dinner in "Part I"?
5. In "Part IV," where does Tom go on business?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)