|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Gotthold's daughters feel about Tom?
(a) They respect him.
(b) They love him.
(c) They fear him.
(d) They dislike him.
2. Why does the Consul believe Johann blames Gotthold for the death of Josephine?
(a) Because Gotthold got her sick.
(b) Because she died shortly after Gotthold's birth.
(c) Because she died trying to save Gotthold.
(d) Because he had injured her badly.
3. In "Part IV," what do rioters do to the town hall?
(a) They throw bricks at it.
(b) They host a meeting.
(c) They board up the windows and doors.
(d) They try to light it on fire.
4. What month is it in "Part III"?
5. What day of the week do the Buddenbrooks gather at the Buddenbrook house?
6. How is Justus related to the Consul?
(a) He is the Consul's cousin.
(b) He is the Consul's uncle.
(c) He is the Consul's brother.
(d) He is the Consul's brother-in-law.
7. In the beginning of "Part III", what is the Consul's family all reading?
8. How does Tony describe her first impression of Grunlich?
9. How does Grunlich propose marriage to Tony?
(a) With a letter.
(b) In person.
(c) He sends her a contract.
(d) He asks her mother.
10. Why does the Consul want to see if Tony loves Grunlich in "Part IV"?
(a) To know if he should invest money in Grunlich.
(b) To please his wife.
(c) To know if he was wrong.
(d) To know if he should send his daughter on vacation.
11. In "Part V," where does Christian travel from to return home?
12. What does Johann do the night a riot breaks out in front of his house?
(a) He decides to move.
(b) He writes to his brother.
(c) He attends a meeting.
(d) He goes into hiding.
13. How does Tony get her face scratched by Julie?
(a) While she is sleeping.
(b) When she tries to avoid kissing Hermann.
(c) While they try to stop falling down a hill.
(d) When she shoves Julie down a hill.
14. What does Grunlich say about his courting of Tony in "Part IV"?
(a) He was after her dowry.
(b) He was forced into the courtship.
(c) He loved her.
(d) He lost his money buying her presents.
15. What did the Buddenbrooks do during the war with Napoleon?
(a) They joined the army.
(b) They helped build navy ships.
(c) They hid in England.
(d) They boarded French troops.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tony tell her father about her marriage in "Part IV"?
2. In "Part I," who is the first guest to arrive at Buddenbrook house?
3. When Tony returns from the beach house in "Part III," what has Grunlich sent her?
4. What is Morten studying to be?
5. How does the older generation feel about Napoleon?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)