|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is it revealed that Bud and Mr. Calloway are related?
2. What does the policeman discuss before letting them go on to Grand Rapids?
3. Which of the following words describes how Bud feels about his first real encounter with the band and their crew?
4. How did Bud sleep that first night in the bed that Miss Thomas loaned him?
5. What does Mr. Calloway pick up and put in his pocket?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the band members explain to Bud about the racial make-up of the band?
2. How does Bud explain to the stranger his being alone and traveling to Grand Rapids?
3. How does Bud begin to feel about the group?
4. When Bud goes out after waking up what happens and what does this make him sense?
5. What does Bud tell Mr. Calloway that leads him to realize that he and Bud are related and in what way are they related?
6. What does Bud worry about when he finds out that Lefty sent his father a telegram?
7. What does Bud find out that Lefty knows which might cause him some difficulties with his story?
8. What can the reader learn about Bud and his feelings about the band and how can the reader tell this information?
9. How does Bud feel when he finds out he will be staying with the band for more than one night and what does this cause him to wonder?
10. What does Lefty explain to Bud about the box that he has Bud hold while the policeman talks to Lefty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe Bud was so attached to the suitcase? Do you believe this was a natural or unnatural attachment? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways is the character of Bud brave? Provide at least two examples directly form the text showing Bud's bravery. Do you believe you could have been as brave as Bud was? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The author includes two points of view in relation to the formation of unions. Which point of view do you support? Why do you feel this way? How does Bud feel about unions? Why do you think this is the case?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)