|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the band do about Bud's comment that his father is the grumpiest guy in the group?
2. What does NBC stand for?
3. How does Bud decide is the best way to deal with the situation with the stranger he is riding with?
4. What book does Bud imagine himself a part of?
5. How did Bud sleep that first night in the bed that Miss Thomas loaned him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the stranger do to soften up Bud and make him realize he wants him to help him?
2. What can the reader learn about Bud and his feelings about the band and how can the reader tell this information?
3. What does Eddie request of Bud and why does he say he needs to make this request?
4. How does feel about accepting the ride from the stranger and what does he do that will help him to feel more confident?
5. Where does Bud's distrust of adults come from and is it warranted?
6. What does Bud worry about when he finds out that Lefty sent his father a telegram?
7. What does Mr. Calloway say to Bud under his breath?
8. What do the band members explain to Bud about the racial make-up of the band?
9. What does Lefty explain to Bud about the box that he has Bud hold while the policeman talks to Lefty?
10. What does Bud realize when he wakes up the next morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways is the character of Bud brave? Provide at least two examples directly form the text showing Bud's bravery. Do you believe you could have been as brave as Bud was? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Bud model the behavior of a well-seasoned adult? In what ways does Bud act his age? Why do you believe Bud can act both as an adult and as a child?
Essay Topic 3
How does Bud honor his mother's memory? Do you think he does a good job at honoring his mother's family? Why or why not?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)