|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lefty refer to Bud?
2. What is Bud's new nickname based on?
3. What does Lefty mock about Bud?
4. Which of the following band members does not seem to have much of a sense of humor?
5. How is it revealed that Bud and Mr. Calloway are related?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lefty explain to Bud about the box that he has Bud hold while the policeman talks to Lefty?
2. Why is Bud always suspicious of adults and what do they say to make him suspicious?
3. How does Bud begin to feel about the group?
4. How does Bud explain to the stranger his being alone and traveling to Grand Rapids?
5. What does Bud tell Mr. Calloway that leads him to realize that he and Bud are related and in what way are they related?
6. How does feel about accepting the ride from the stranger and what does he do that will help him to feel more confident?
7. What does Bud worry about when he finds out that Lefty sent his father a telegram?
8. What do the band members explain to Bud about the racial make-up of the band?
9. Why does the band take Bud to the Sweet Pea Restaurant and what does he have to do in return?
10. What does the stranger do to soften up Bud and make him realize he wants him to help him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author includes two points of view in relation to the formation of unions. Which point of view do you support? Why do you feel this way? How does Bud feel about unions? Why do you think this is the case?
Essay Topic 2
How did the character of Bud stay connected to what was once his family throughout the novel? In what ways did this help him through his struggles? Do you believe this was a positive or negative characteristic of Bud? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe Bud feels like he is a part of the band? Why do you think he feels this way? Do you think the band holds the same opinion as Bud? Why or why not?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)