|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which instrument is Bud given tips on how to play by one of the band members?
2. How did Bud sleep that first night in the bed that Miss Thomas loaned him?
3. What does Bud believe is the key in winning over Mr. Calloway?
4. Which of the following band members becomes Bud's favorite because he stands up for Bud's feelings?
5. What worried Bud about the first bedroom Bud had since he lived with his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bud find out that Lefty knows which might cause him some difficulties with his story?
2. When Bud goes out after waking up what happens and what does this make him sense?
3. How does Bud feel when he finds out he will be staying with the band for more than one night and what does this cause him to wonder?
4. Why is Bud always suspicious of adults and what do they say to make him suspicious?
5. How does Bud begin to feel about the group?
6. What does Bud worry about when he finds out that Lefty sent his father a telegram?
7. What does Bud do as his fears of vampires take over at the stranger's car?
8. What does Eddie request of Bud and why does he say he needs to make this request?
9. What can the reader learn about Bud and his feelings about the band and how can the reader tell this information?
10. How does Bud explain to the stranger his being alone and traveling to Grand Rapids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Bud model the behavior of a well-seasoned adult? In what ways does Bud act his age? Why do you believe Bud can act both as an adult and as a child?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in writing how the picture on the front cover of the novel provides forewarning that the main character pictured there will be a strong character. Do you agree that Bud is a strong character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does Bud consider the entire band his family even though he is not genetically related to most of them? Do you think this is a natural or unnatural process? Why do you believe that way?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)