|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what temperature were bricks fired in Florence in the 1400's?
2. How many years had it taken to build the Santa Maria del Fiore?
3. When was Filippo's body laid to rest?
4. How many pounds did the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore weigh?
5. Who was at Filippo's side when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of problems have been caused by large buildings throughout history?
2. What was one of the most striking features of the climb up to the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore?
3. What happened to Filippo in August 1434 after the meeting with the wardens?
4. Why was the consecration of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore so important to Filippo?
5. What was Lorenzo's notorious reputation?
6. What two acts on the part of the Opera revealed how much faith they placed in Filippo?
7. What tributes were made to Filippo after his death?
8. Why were lanterns such an important part of domes in the Renaissance?
9. Which of the capomaestros was known as the most influential sculptor of his time?
10. What idea was Filippo not able to convince the wardens to agree to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Flippo experienced conflicts with fellow architects. Discuss the conflicts that Flippo experienced and how these conflicts affected Flippo and his work.
Essay Topic 2
Brunelleschi's ideas in design were advanced for their time. Discuss how Brunelleschi's designs affected other architects.
Essay Topic 3
Making sure that he had the correct bricks and mortar for the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore was important to Filippo. Discuss why it was so important to Filippo to have a certain type of bricks and mortar for the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore. Was he always this particular about his building materials?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)