|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose remains were supposed to be displayed at Santa Maria del Fiore's consecration ceremony?
2. What was the name of the carpenter who helped Filippo create his lantern design for the Santa Maria del Fiore?
3. Who plagiarized Filippo's lantern design?
4. How many months before the consecration of the Santa Maria del Fiore dome did Lorenzo's position as capomaestro end?
5. Who wrote "Divine Comedy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the war against Lucca impact the progress of construction at Santa Maria del Fiore?
2. What was one of the most striking features of the climb up to the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore?
3. What did Lorenzo do to aggravate the wardens?
4. What two acts on the part of the Opera revealed how much faith they placed in Filippo?
5. What did Filippo propose to the wardens when Santa Maria del Fiore began to show cracks in 1429?
6. What was Lorenzo's notorious reputation?
7. What did Michelangelo believe he could accomplish in regard to Filippo?
8. Why were bricks carefully regulated in Florence?
9. How was marble extracted at Carrara?
10. Discuss the stairwells at Santa Maria del Fiore.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12, the author states that "buildings of large dimensions have always posed moral problems." Discuss what the author meant by that statement.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the writing style that Ross King used when writing "Brunelleschi's Dome." Is the same style used throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact that Lorenzo and Filippo's relationship had on the construction at Santa Maria del Fiore.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)