|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Filippo when he died?
2. In what year did Filippo begin rebuilding the Augustinian church of Santo Spirito?
3. What type of problems did buildings of large dimensions cause?
4. At what temperature were bricks fired in Florence in the 1400's?
5. How many masons at Santa Maria del Fiore were fired in December 1430?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do modern tourists do when they visit the Santa Maria del Fiore?
2. What did Lorenzo do to aggravate the wardens?
3. How did the Opera reduce the cost of importing bianchi marmi into Florence?
4. Discuss the fresco that decorated the interior of the vault at Santa Maria del Fiore.
5. What type of marble came from Carrara, Italy?
6. What did Pope Eugenius IV do at the beginning of the Feast of Annunciation in 1436?
7. Which of the capomaestros was known as the most influential sculptor of his time?
8. Why were lanterns such an important part of domes in the Renaissance?
9. How did Filippo provide for the workman's safety at Santa Maria del Fiore?
10. Where were the residents of Florence placed after their deaths during Filippo's time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 12, the author states that "buildings of large dimensions have always posed moral problems." Discuss what the author meant by that statement.
Essay Topic 2
Making sure that he had the correct bricks and mortar for the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore was important to Filippo. Discuss why it was so important to Filippo to have a certain type of bricks and mortar for the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore. Was he always this particular about his building materials?
Essay Topic 3
Brunelleschi's ideas in design were advanced for their time. Discuss how Brunelleschi's designs affected other architects.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)