|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the contest to find someone to create a model for the dome for the Santa Maria del Fiore announced?
2. What was the prize for creating a wooden chain for the Santa Maria del Fiore?
3. What did Filippo create to lift the materials up to the cupola at Santa Maria del Fiore?
4. Who were the two main characters in "On the Tranquility of the Soul"?
5. Who created the model for the item that was developed after Filippo's device was finished?
Short Essay Questions
1. What Roman landmark was of great interest in the 1400s?
2. Who was Nonius Datus?
3. What remedies did the residents of Florence use to try to rid themselves of the Black Death?
4. How did Filippo develop his interest in solving mechanical problems?
5. What caused a decision to be delayed in the dome designing contest for the Santa Maria Del Fiore?
6. Why were Filippo and Lorenzo such strong rivals?
7. What issues was the dome designing contest for the Santa Maria del Fiore attempting to resolve?
8. Why did the author describe goldsmithing as "not the most wholesome of professions"?
9. What happened in the wooden chain designing contest for the Santa Maria del Fiore?
10. How were stones tested for quality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the tone King used in "Brunelleschi's Dome." Did the tone create a certain impression of Brunelleschi?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the writing style that Ross King used when writing "Brunelleschi's Dome." Is the same style used throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Brunelleschi's ideas in design were advanced for their time. Discuss how Brunelleschi's designs affected other architects.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)