|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the catacombs in Florence used for in the 1400s?
2. How many stone masons worked at Cava di Trassinaia after the work sheds were erected?
3. What were the unskilled laborers at Santa Maria del Fiore called?
4. What was the wooden chain at Santa Maria del Fiore made of?
5. How long had they been planning the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore before the construction began?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Filippo develop his interest in solving mechanical problems?
2. Why did many Florentine artists in Filippo's time have a dim view of marriage?
3. What remedies did the residents of Florence use to try to rid themselves of the Black Death?
4. What happened in the wooden chain designing contest for the Santa Maria del Fiore?
5. What was a rota magna?
6. What projects did Lorenzo create during his career?
7. What was considered the grandest building project in Florence in the 1400s?
8. How did master builders during Filippo's time regulate the curvature of domes?
9. What was construction like on the hoist for the Santa Maria del Fiore?
10. What was Filippo's appearance like when he was in his forties?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss the people who most influenced Filippo and his work.
Essay Topic 2
Brunelleschi chose to pursue a career that his father did not choose for him. Discuss how Brunelleschi's choice affected his relationship with his father.
Essay Topic 3
The wardens made the final decision as to whether Filippo should be allowed to complete the dome without centering. Discuss the role of the wardens during the construction of Santa Maria del Fiore.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)