|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Lorenzo Ghiberti complete "Doors of Paradise"?
2. What did a bishop have concerns about in the fifteenth century regarding Florence's churches?
(a) Corpses defiling the church.
(b) Thieves breaking in.
(c) Structures not being secure.
(d) Corruption in the papacy.
3. Who described the dome of Santa Maria del Fiore as being built "circle by circle"?
(a) Giovanni Battista Strozzi.
(b) Lorenzo Strozzi.
(c) Leon Strozzi.
(d) Filippo Strozzi.
4. How many sets of stairs were in Santa Maria del Fiore?
5. In what year was the Alberti clan banished from Florence?
6. What was the majority of the exterior of the Santa Maria del Fiore tiled in?
7. Why did most architects from the middle ages remain anonymous?
(a) To avoid being shunned.
(b) Because they didn't want their identity to take away from their skills.
(c) To concentrate on their work.
(d) To avoid prejudice.
8. At what temperature were bricks fired in Florence in the 1400's?
(a) 1,500 degrees celsius.
(b) 2,500 degrees celsius.
(c) 2,000 degrees celsius.
(d) 1,000 degrees celsius.
9. When did Leon Battista Alberti write his famous description of the cupola at Santa Maria del Fiore?
10. What fresco decorates the interior of the vault at Santa Maria del Fiore?
(a) Two Angels.
(b) Madonna and Child.
(c) Last Judgment.
(d) St. John.
11. How high above the drum was the dome for the Santa Maria del Fiore in 1428?
(a) 75 feet.
(b) 80 feet.
(c) 85 feet.
(d) 70 feet.
12. What group in Florence ordered the most bianchi marmi?
(a) The Opera.
(b) The Wardens.
(c) The Bricklayers.
(d) The Stonemasons.
13. What tool did Leon Battista Alberti create to survey the Roman ruins?
14. In what year did Filippo begin rebuilding the Augustinian church of Santo Spirito?
15. Why was Lorenzo immune from arrest in 1433?
(a) He was friends with the group that was arresting people.
(b) He paid his dues.
(c) He bargained with the guild to avoid arrest.
(d) He had joined the Masons Guild.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people entered the lantern designing contest for the dome of the Santa Maria del Fiore?
2. What was the size of a basic brick used in Florence during the 1400s?
3. How many pounds did the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore weigh?
4. Whose iron rod model was destroyed after Filippo presented his model?
5. How many steps were there to the summit of Santa Maria del Fiore?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)