|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the catacombs in Florence used for in the 1400s?
2. Where was the book "On Aqueducts" rediscovered?
(d) Monte Cassino.
3. How many people died in the worst Black Death outbreak in Florence?
4. What did the Italian word for the building trade workers mean?
(a) Small people.
(b) Little people.
(c) Regular people.
(d) Important people.
5. What did Filippo create to lift the materials up to the cupola at Santa Maria del Fiore?
(a) A scaffold.
(b) A crane.
(c) A hoist.
(d) A pulley system.
6. What type of gallery did Filippo add to his dome plans for the Santa Maria del Fiore in 1419?
7. How long had they been planning the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore before the construction began?
(a) 80 years.
(b) 50 years.
(c) 60 years.
(d) 70 years.
8. Who wrote the book "On Aqueducts"?
(a) Julius Sextus.
(b) Julius Frontinus.
(c) Julius Sextus Frontinus.
(d) Sextus Julius Frontinus.
9. Who were the two main characters in "On the Tranquility of the Soul"?
(a) Cosimo Medici and Agnolo.
(b) Cosimo and Nicola Medici.
(c) Agnolo and Nicola de' Medici.
(d) Antonia and Cosimo Medici.
10. How many architectural commissions did Filippo receive in 1419?
11. How many men worked on the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore?
12. How many cartloads of sandstone had been brought into the Piazza del Duomo before the end of June 1421?
13. What was the Italian word for the building trade workers?
(b) Bravo lavoratore.
(c) Popolo minuto.
14. Where were most goldsmith shops in Florence located during Filippo's time?
(b) Santa Croce.
15. What happened to the winner of the wooden chain designing contest when the time came to build the chain?
(a) He became very ill.
(b) He broke his arm.
(c) His design didn't work.
(d) He broke his leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the book "On Aqueducts" rediscovered?
2. When was the contest to find someone to create a model for the dome for the Santa Maria del Fiore announced?
3. Where was the dome designing contest being held?
4. Who said that the founder of Florence was Lucius Cornelius Sulla?
5. How much did Filippo make per month while working at Santa Maria del Fiore?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)