|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was the dome designing contest being held?
(a) Venice, Italy.
(b) Milan, Italy.
(c) Rome, Italy.
(d) Florence, Italy.
2. How old was Filippo in 1418?
3. In what year did the worst outbreak of the Black Death in Florence occur?
4. How many architectural commissions did Filippo receive in 1419?
5. What was the city of Rome known as?
(a) City of Lights.
(b) City of Love.
(c) The Eternal City.
(d) City of the Renaissance.
6. What was a rota magna used for?
(a) Lifting heavy stones.
(b) Lifting men.
(c) Lifting heavy marble.
(d) Lifting heavy beams.
7. What were the most obvious problems in building the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore?
(a) How to get the workers to the level of the dome.
(b) How to lift the heavy building materials above the ground.
(c) How to mold marble.
(d) How to create a circular structure.
8. What line of work did Filippo apprentice in?
9. How much did Filippo make per month while working at Santa Maria del Fiore?
(a) 5 florins.
(b) 3 florins.
(c) 6 florins.
(d) 4 florins.
10. What type of sandstone was used for grindstones in the middle ages?
11. How many cartloads of sandstone had been brought into the Piazza del Duomo before the end of June 1421?
12. What guidebook in the 1400s directed visitors to the holy sites of Rome?
(a) Mirabilia urbis romae.
(b) Descriptio urbis Romae.
(c) Roma Sotterranea.
(d) Roma instaurata.
13. What competition played a pivotal role in Filippo's career?
(a) Design for lantern at Santa Maria del Fiore.
(b) Bronze doors for the Baptistery of San Giovanni.
(c) Design for dome at Santa Maria del Fiore.
(d) Design for lantern at Baptistery of San Giovanni.
14. What did the author say the atmosphere in Rome was like?
15. What disease killed 4/5 of Florence's population in 1348?
(a) Black Death.
(c) Typhoid Fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the wooden chain at Santa Maria del Fiore made of?
2. Who were the two main characters in "On the Tranquility of the Soul"?
3. Who commissioned the St. Matthew statue for the church of Orsanmichele?
4. Who did Filippo build a house for in 1412?
5. Who had been the original architect of the Santa Maria del Fiore?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)