|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the city of Rome known as?
(a) City of the Renaissance.
(b) City of Lights.
(c) The Eternal City.
(d) City of Love.
2. How many trees had been ordered for the platforms and scaffolds at Santa Maria del Fiore?
3. What disease killed 4/5 of Florence's population in 1348?
(a) Black Death.
(b) Typhoid Fever.
4. How long had they been planning the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore before the construction began?
(a) 70 years.
(b) 60 years.
(c) 80 years.
(d) 50 years.
5. What line of work did Filippo apprentice in?
6. How many men worked on the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore?
7. What was a rota magna?
(a) A hoist.
(b) Great wheel.
(c) A crane.
(d) A pulley.
8. What was the name of Filippo's fellow goldsmith who was a renowned artist by the time he was forty?
(a) Angelo Ghiberti.
(b) Cosimo Ghiberti.
(c) John Ghiberti.
(d) Lorenzo Ghiberti.
9. How many cartloads of sandstone had been brought into the Piazza del Duomo before the end of June 1421?
10. When was the foundation for the Santa Maria del Fiore laid?
11. What was the wooden chain at Santa Maria del Fiore made of?
12. What was created after Filippo's device for the Santa Maria del Fiore was finished?
(a) Granite chain.
(b) Sandstone chain.
(c) Limestone chain.
(d) Marble chain.
13. How many pounds of bronze were melted for the Baptistery doors in Florence?
(a) 36,000 lbs.
(b) 35,000 lbs.
(c) 34,000 lbs.
(d) 37,000 lbs.
14. Who had been the original architect of the Santa Maria del Fiore?
(a) Pietro Bassegio.
(b) Arnolfo di Cambio.
(c) Giovanni di Simone.
(d) Andrea Pisano.
15. What group commissioned the majority of the projects that Filippo worked on in 1419?
(a) Mason's Guild.
(b) Bricklayers Guild.
(c) Builders Guild.
(d) Wool Guild.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people were left in Rome after the Black Death outbreak of 1348?
2. What happened to the winner of the wooden chain designing contest when the time came to build the chain?
3. Who commissioned the St. Matthew statue for the church of Orsanmichele?
4. What did the Italian word for the building trade workers mean?
5. When did construction begin on the dome at Santa Maria del Fiore?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)