Chapters 1 and 2
• On August 19, 1418, a competition is announced for the design of a dome for Florence's cathedral, Santa Maria Del Fiore.
• The craftsman who won the competition would received two hundred florins, more money than could be made in two years of work
• Many artisans entered the competition and were given six weeks to build a model, create a design, or make suggestions for the cathedral dome.
• In the 1400s, Florence had a population of 50,000 but still had some rural qualities to the city.
• There were various fields inside the city walls, and sheep were led to market through the city streets.
• Florence's large and powerful mercantile industry was to be represented by the new cathedral.
• Much of Florence's wealth was due to the wool industry that produced the most expensive and desired cloth in Europe.
• During the 1300s Florence had seen tremendous growth that had resulted in...
This section contains 4,033 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)