|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Uncle Robert promise to take Jackie and her siblings in the poem "Far Rockaway"?
2. What had Grandpa Gunnar done with the swing set in "Daddy This Time"?
3. Who is Jackie's teacher that is described in "Late Autumn"?
4. Whose voice is described in the poem "Off-Key"?
5. From where is Little Red Riding Hood's grandmother saved, according to the poet in "Family"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe her school in "First Grade"?
2. What made Jacqueline Woodson relate to the character of Stevie, as seen in "Stevie and Me"? Who is Stevie?
3. Who is described in "New Girl"? How does the poet describe her feelings for this individual?
4. Where does the author describe her family moving in Brooklyn in "Brooklyn, New York"? Why did they move?
5. How does the poet describe the limitations of her faith in the poem "Flag"?
6. How does the author describe her family's reaction in "When I Tell My Family"? What does Jackie describe telling them?
7. What does the poet describe Gunnar impressing upon her in "Daddy This Time"?
8. What is described in the poem "Six Minutes"? What do the "six minutes" in the title refer to?
9. Where did Jacqueline Woodson's family move after the death of Aunt Kay? How is this setting described in "Moving Again"?
10. Why does Jacqueline Woodson say she wrote "Jackie" on the board in school in the poem "Late Autumn"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the names in Jackie’s family as demonstrated in “Family Names.” Why did Gunnar’s family have unusual names? How did Grandma Georgiana’s family differ? What is the significance of Jackie's name and those of her siblings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of family and sacrifice seen in the memoir. What are some of the sacrifices that Georgiana has made for her children and grandchildren? What are sacrifices Gunnar has made? How has Mary Anne sacrificed for her children?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the comparisons in the book of the North and South. Where was Jacqueline Woodson born? Where did she spend her summers growing up? What place in Jackie's life felt the most like "home" to her? Why?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)