|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Roman's bed pulled away from the wall when he returned home from the hospital?
2. Who is the focus of the poem "The Paint Eater"?
3. Where did Uncle Robert move when he arrived in New York in "Uncle Robert"?
4. What store does the poet describe Grandma Georgiana avoiding because she was once made to wait long past her turn for service in "What Everybody Knows Now"?
5. What does the poet describe happening to the witch in "Family"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the author describe her family moving in Brooklyn in "Brooklyn, New York"? Why did they move?
2. Where does the author describe Grandma Georgiana sitting on the bus in "What Everybody Knows Now"? Why did she sit here?
3. What does the poet describe thinking about as she eats breakfast in "Saturday Morning"?
4. Where did Jacqueline Woodson's family move after the death of Aunt Kay? How is this setting described in "Moving Again"?
5. Why does Jacqueline Woodson say she wrote "Jackie" on the board in school in the poem "Late Autumn"?
6. Who is described as sporting afros in the poem "Afros"? Why was Jackie not allowed to wear this hairstyle?
7. How does the author describe her family's reaction in "When I Tell My Family"? What does Jackie describe telling them?
8. Who wrote the short story "The Selfish Giant"? How is this story described in the poem with the same name in Brown Girl Dreaming?
9. How does the author describe her school in "First Grade"?
10. What is described in the poem "Six Minutes"? What do the "six minutes" in the title refer to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss examples of irony and foreshadowing in Brown Girl Dreaming. What is ironic about Mary Anne’s impending return for her children at the end Part 2? How does the author foreshadow Gunnar's death?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characterizations of Grandma Georgiana and Grandpa Gunnar in the memoir. How would you describe Jackie’s relationship with her maternal grandparents? Where did Gunnar work?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the millenarian restorationist Christian denomination known as the Jehovah’s Witnesses. When were the Jehovah’s Witnesses originated? What are their belief systems? How do they differ from other Christian denominations? What influences did Jackie's faith have on her as a child?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)