|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the poet describe Grandma Georgiana sitting on the bus in "What Everybody Knows Now"?
2. Who is Jackie's teacher that is described in "Late Autumn"?
3. What food product does the poet describe Aunt Kay eating like candy in the poem "Caroline But We Called Her Aunt Kay, Some Memories"?
4. What color does the narrator describe New York as in the poem "New York City"?
5. What is the title of Part 3 of Brown Girl Dreaming?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is described in the poem "Six Minutes"? What do the "six minutes" in the title refer to?
2. Who is described as "The Other Woodson" in the poem by this name? To whom is this individual compared?
3. How does the poet describe the first notebook she found in "Composition Notebook"?
4. How does the author compare her family members in "Genetics"?
5. How has the setting of Jackie's grandparents' home changed in "Daddy This Time"?
6. How does the poet describe her learning methods in "Writing #2"?
7. Who attended church in Brooklyn with Jackie when she was growing up? How is the church described in the poem "Another Kingdom Hall"?
8. How does the author describe her aunt in the poem "Caroline But We Called Her Aunt Kay, Some Memories"?
9. What does the poet describe thinking about as she eats breakfast in "Saturday Morning"?
10. Who wrote the short story "The Selfish Giant"? How is this story described in the poem with the same name in Brown Girl Dreaming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the names in Jackie’s family as demonstrated in “Family Names.” Why did Gunnar’s family have unusual names? How did Grandma Georgiana’s family differ? What is the significance of Jackie's name and those of her siblings?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of family and sacrifice seen in the memoir. What are some of the sacrifices that Georgiana has made for her children and grandchildren? What are sacrifices Gunnar has made? How has Mary Anne sacrificed for her children?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of ancestry and its importance in the narrative. How is Jacqueline Woodson influenced by her family’s ancestry and past? Why do you think ancestry is important?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)