|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What store does the poet describe Grandma Georgiana avoiding because she was once made to wait long past her turn for service in "What Everybody Knows Now"?
2. Who took Jackie, Dell, and Hope to South Carolina in "Home Again to Hall Street"?
3. In whose shadow does the poet describe growing up in "The Other Woodson"?
4. Why did Jacqueline Woodson relate to the character "Stevie" in "Stevie and Me"?
5. Who wrote the short story "The Selfish Giant"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the poet describe the first notebook she found in "Composition Notebook"?
2. How does the author describe her school in "First Grade"?
3. How does the poet describe her learning methods in "Writing #2"?
4. How does the poet describe the limitations of her faith in the poem "Flag"?
5. Who wrote the short story "The Selfish Giant"? How is this story described in the poem with the same name in Brown Girl Dreaming?
6. How does the author describe her family's reaction in "When I Tell My Family"? What does Jackie describe telling them?
7. Who attended church in Brooklyn with Jackie when she was growing up? How is the church described in the poem "Another Kingdom Hall"?
8. Why does Jacqueline Woodson say she wrote "Jackie" on the board in school in the poem "Late Autumn"?
9. What does the poet describe thinking about as she eats breakfast in "Saturday Morning"?
10. What is a johnny pump? How does the author describe them in "The Johnny Pump?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's characterizations of her mother and father in Brown Girl Dreaming. When did Jackie's parents divorce? How did this impact Jackie and her siblings? Did they stay in contact with their father after the divorce? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the imagery and symbolism in the final poems of Part 1. Why did Jackie and her family travel at night on the bus from South Carolina to Ohio? How does the author describe the river they follow on their journey? What do you think the river represents symbolically? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the millenarian restorationist Christian denomination known as the Jehovah’s Witnesses. When were the Jehovah’s Witnesses originated? What are their belief systems? How do they differ from other Christian denominations? What influences did Jackie's faith have on her as a child?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)