|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what neighborhood of Brooklyn is the apartment that is described in "Brooklyn, New York"?
2. Who is the focus of the poem "The Paint Eater"?
3. Who is the focus of the poem "Gifted"?
4. How does the poet describe her school in "First Grade"?
5. The poem "Saturday Morning" explores Jackie's longing for Greenville through her descriptions of what aspect?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe her school in "First Grade"?
2. Who is described as sporting afros in the poem "Afros"? Why was Jackie not allowed to wear this hairstyle?
3. Who is described in "New Girl"? How does the poet describe her feelings for this individual?
4. What is described in the poem "Six Minutes"? What do the "six minutes" in the title refer to?
5. Where does the author describe Grandma Georgiana sitting on the bus in "What Everybody Knows Now"? Why did she sit here?
6. What is a johnny pump? How does the author describe them in "The Johnny Pump?"
7. Who is described as "The Other Woodson" in the poem by this name? To whom is this individual compared?
8. How does the author compare her family members in "Genetics"?
9. Who wrote the short story "The Selfish Giant"? How is this story described in the poem with the same name in Brown Girl Dreaming?
10. What gifts does the author describe her mother bringing to her and her siblings in "Another Way"? Why did she bring them these items?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss South Carolina’s history of Slavery and the “trainings” and oppressions during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s. What do “trainings” refer to? How did the trainings originate? How accurate is Gunnar’s explanation of the social unrest in South Carolina and the emerging Civil Rights Movement?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's characterizations of her mother and father in Brown Girl Dreaming. When did Jackie's parents divorce? How did this impact Jackie and her siblings? Did they stay in contact with their father after the divorce? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the names in Jackie’s family as demonstrated in “Family Names.” Why did Gunnar’s family have unusual names? How did Grandma Georgiana’s family differ? What is the significance of Jackie's name and those of her siblings?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)