|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the home of the Woodsons described as in "The Ghosts of the Nelsonville House"?
2. What is the name of Jacqueline Woodson's father?
3. During what years was John F. Kennedy President of the United States?
4. From where did the owner of the fabric store in Greenville know Georgiana?
5. What is the maiden name of Jacqueline Woodson's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe her ancestry in "February 12, 1963"?
2. What conflict is described in the poem "A Girl Named Jack"?
3. How is Odell described in the poem "Uncle Odell"? Who was named for Odell?
4. How are the poet's parents described in "Second Daughter’s Second Day on Earth"?
5. What is the symbolic image that concludes the poem "Second Daughter’s Second Day on Earth"? What is symbolized in this imagery?
6. What was Gunnar Irby's profession? What struggles did he face in his job?
7. What does the author describe calling her grandfather in "Gunnar's Children"? How does she describe her feelings for her grandfather?
8. Who is the focus of the poem "Football Dreams"? What is related in this narrative?
9. How does the author describe her grandmother's rules in "The Right Way to Speak"?
10. How does the author describe the names in her family in "Family Names"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jacqueline Woodson's time of birth. How does the author illustrate the atmosphere of this period in history? What major events occurred in the United States in the year the author was born? How did these events influence her life and culture?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of New York when Jackie first arrived there with her mother and siblings. During what decade did Jackie's family move to New York? Where did they live? Where did they move after their first home? Why? How did Jackie compare New York with South Carolina?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss free verse versus blank verse. What form are the poems of Brown Girl Dreaming? What form do haikus take? What poems from the anthology are written in traditional haiku format?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)