|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the American Civil War end?
2. How old does Jacqueline Woodson describe herself in the poem "The Beginning"?
3. What is the name of the predominantly African-American community in Greenville, South Carolina, that is described by the poet?
4. What sport did Jack Woodson play in high school and college?
5. How old is Dell described as in "The Beginning"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the people described in "The Almost Friends"?
2. When and where does the author describe her paternal great-great-grandfather's birth in "It’ll Be Scary Sometimes"?
3. What story is related from Grandma Georgiana's perspective in "Other People’s Memory"?
4. How does the author describe her ancestry in "February 12, 1963"?
5. How are the poet's parents described in "Second Daughter’s Second Day on Earth"?
6. How does the author describe her grandmother's rules in "The Right Way to Speak"?
7. What is the symbolic image that concludes the poem "Second Daughter’s Second Day on Earth"? What is symbolized in this imagery?
8. How does the author describe the names in her family in "Family Names"?
9. How is the history of slavery described in Jackie's maternal grandparents' ancestry in "The Garden"?
10. How is the unfolding Civil Rights Movement described in the poem "South Carolina at War"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of family and sacrifice seen in the memoir. What are some of the sacrifices that Georgiana has made for her children and grandchildren? What are sacrifices Gunnar has made? How has Mary Anne sacrificed for her children?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Jacqueline Woodson's siblings and discuss their relationships growing up. What were the age differences between Jackie and her siblings? With whom did Jackie feel the most rivalry growing up? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss free verse versus blank verse. What form are the poems of Brown Girl Dreaming? What form do haikus take? What poems from the anthology are written in traditional haiku format?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)