|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jacqueline Woodson's father?
2. Whose wish for a man's head on a platter is described in the poem "Bible Times"?
3. During what years was John F. Kennedy President of the United States?
4. In what war did William J. Woodson fight?
5. Where did Mary Anne's family live in South Carolina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author describe calling her grandfather in "Gunnar's Children"? How does she describe her feelings for her grandfather?
2. How is the unfolding Civil Rights Movement described in the poem "South Carolina at War"?
3. How does the author describe her grandmother's rules in "The Right Way to Speak"?
4. What event is described in the poem "The Candy Lady"?
5. Who are the people described in "The Almost Friends"?
6. When and where does the author describe her paternal great-great-grandfather's birth in "It’ll Be Scary Sometimes"?
7. Who is the focus of the poem "Football Dreams"? What is related in this narrative?
8. What story is related from Grandma Georgiana's perspective in "Other People’s Memory"?
9. Into what genres does Brown Girl Dreaming fall? How are these genres defined?
10. How is the house described in "The Ghosts of the Nelsonville House"? Where is Nelsonville?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the following poetry terms and discuss an example of each from Brown Girl Dreaming: assonance, alliteration, onomatopoeia, and repetition. What purpose does each example serve for the reader? How does the poetry of Jacqueline Woodson differ when read aloud?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the millenarian restorationist Christian denomination known as the Jehovah’s Witnesses. When were the Jehovah’s Witnesses originated? What are their belief systems? How do they differ from other Christian denominations? What influences did Jackie's faith have on her as a child?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the Woodson ancestry. How was Jacqueline Woodson related to Thomas Jefferson? How many children did Thomas Jefferson father with Sally Hemings? How does the author relate this information in Brown Girl Dreaming? Why does she relate it?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)