|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jackie describe being bitten by in her story to Uncle Robert in "Believing"?
(a) A rabbit.
(c) A dog.
(d) A snake.
2. What does the poet describe Hope performing in "Hope Onstage"?
(a) A poem.
(b) A short-story reading.
(c) A solo song.
(d) A dramatic monologue.
3. What led to Hope's interest in science, according to the poet in "Chemistry"?
(a) Saturday cartoons.
(b) Comic books.
(c) Horror movies.
4. In what collection of stories was "The Selfish Giant" published?
(a) The Green Giant and Other Children's Tales.
(b) The Happy Prince and Other Tales.
(c) Aesop's Fables.
(d) The Prince and the Pauper and Other Stories.
5. How does the poet describe her school in "First Grade"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What school does Jackie describe attending in "First Grade"?
2. What color does the narrator describe New York as in the poem "New York City"?
3. What is the title of Part 4 of Brown Girl Dreaming?
4. How does Roman's appearance differ from those of his siblings?
5. What did Robert give to Dell when he arrived in New York in "Uncle Robert"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the poet describe her learning methods in "Writing #2"?
2. What gifts does the author describe her mother bringing to her and her siblings in "Another Way"? Why did she bring them these items?
3. Who is described as "The Other Woodson" in the poem by this name? To whom is this individual compared?
4. What made Jacqueline Woodson relate to the character of Stevie, as seen in "Stevie and Me"? Who is Stevie?
5. What is a johnny pump? How does the author describe them in "The Johnny Pump?"
6. Who wrote the short story "The Selfish Giant"? How is this story described in the poem with the same name in Brown Girl Dreaming?
7. What comparisons does the author make between New York and Greenville in the poem "New York City"?
8. Why does Jacqueline Woodson say she wrote "Jackie" on the board in school in the poem "Late Autumn"?
9. How does the author describe her aunt in the poem "Caroline But We Called Her Aunt Kay, Some Memories"?
10. How has the setting of Jackie's grandparents' home changed in "Daddy This Time"?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)