|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet describe Winnie the Pooh always getting in the poem "Family"?
(a) His carrots.
(b) His friends.
(c) His honey.
(d) His laughter.
2. How far did Jackie and her family walk to attend church on Sundays, as described in "Another Kingdom Hall"?
(a) 2 blocks.
(b) 12 blocks.
(c) 9 blocks.
(d) 7 blocks.
3. Where was the "New Girl" Diana from?
(d) Puerto Rico.
4. Who wrote the short story "The Selfish Giant"?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Oscar Wilde.
(c) Edgar Allan Poe.
(d) Henry David Thoreau.
5. Where does the poet describe Grandma Georgiana sitting on the bus in "What Everybody Knows Now"?
(a) In the front.
(b) By the driver.
(c) In the back.
(d) In the middle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Roman's appearance differ from those of his siblings?
2. How far from Jackie's home in Brooklyn did Maria live when they became friends?
3. What day of the week is described in the poem "Lessons"?
4. Who is the "Tomboy" that this poem describes?
5. What store does the poet describe Grandma Georgiana avoiding because she was once made to wait long past her turn for service in "What Everybody Knows Now"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe her school in "First Grade"?
2. Who wrote the short story "The Selfish Giant"? How is this story described in the poem with the same name in Brown Girl Dreaming?
3. How does the poet describe the first notebook she found in "Composition Notebook"?
4. How does the poet describe her learning methods in "Writing #2"?
5. Who attended church in Brooklyn with Jackie when she was growing up? How is the church described in the poem "Another Kingdom Hall"?
6. Why does Jacqueline Woodson say she wrote "Jackie" on the board in school in the poem "Late Autumn"?
7. How does the poet describe the limitations of her faith in the poem "Flag"?
8. What comparisons does the author make between New York and Greenville in the poem "New York City"?
9. What is described in the poem "Six Minutes"? What do the "six minutes" in the title refer to?
10. How has the setting of Jackie's grandparents' home changed in "Daddy This Time"?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)