|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Uncle Robert promise to take Jackie and her siblings in the poem "Far Rockaway"?
(b) Coney Island.
(d) A Yankees game.
2. How many syllables comprise traditional haiku format?
3. What is the title of Part 4 of Brown Girl Dreaming?
(a) “Ready to Change the World.”
(b) “The Stories of South Carolina Run Like Rivers.”
(c) "Deep in My Heart, I Do Believe."
(d) “Followed the Sky’s Mirrored Constellation to Freedom.”
4. What happens to Pinocchio in the books, according to the poet in "Family"?
(a) He becomes a boy.
(b) He tells the truth.
(c) He finds love.
(d) He falls from a cliff.
5. In whose shadow does the poet describe growing up in "The Other Woodson"?
(b) Mary Anne's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of learning did Jacqueline Woodson struggle with growing up?
2. How old was Roman when he finally returned from the hospital in "One Place"?
3. Where was the "New Girl" Diana from?
4. Where does the poet describe her mother working in an office in "Lessons"?
5. Where does the poet describe Grandma Georgiana sitting on the bus in "What Everybody Knows Now"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the author describe her family moving in Brooklyn in "Brooklyn, New York"? Why did they move?
2. Who is described as sporting afros in the poem "Afros"? Why was Jackie not allowed to wear this hairstyle?
3. What made Jacqueline Woodson relate to the character of Stevie, as seen in "Stevie and Me"? Who is Stevie?
4. How has the setting of Jackie's grandparents' home changed in "Daddy This Time"?
5. How does the author describe her family's reaction in "When I Tell My Family"? What does Jackie describe telling them?
6. What does the poet describe Gunnar impressing upon her in "Daddy This Time"?
7. Who is described in "New Girl"? How does the poet describe her feelings for this individual?
8. How does the poet describe the first notebook she found in "Composition Notebook"?
9. Who attended church in Brooklyn with Jackie when she was growing up? How is the church described in the poem "Another Kingdom Hall"?
10. What gifts does the author describe her mother bringing to her and her siblings in "Another Way"? Why did she bring them these items?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)