|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first black child to attend an all-white elementary school in the South?
(a) Sarah James.
(b) Jacqueline Woodson.
(c) Ruby Bridges.
(d) Mabel Smith.
2. What color is the home of the Woodsons described as in "The Ghosts of the Nelsonville House"?
3. What sport did Jack Woodson play in high school and college?
4. What title of address did Jackie's mother forbid her children to use?
(d) Your Honor.
5. What did Jacqueline come to call her maternal grandfather when living with him, according to the narrative of "Gunnar's Children"?
(d) "Pop Pop."
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Jacqueline Woodson when her parents separated?
2. What was William J. Woodson's relationship to Jacqueline?
3. What is the name of Jacqueline Woodson's maternal grandfather?
4. Along what river did the Woodsons travel on their trips from Ohio to South Carolina?
5. How old was Jacqueline Woodson's mother when Jackie was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the history of slavery described in Jackie's maternal grandparents' ancestry in "The Garden"?
2. How is the Woodsons' lineage described in "The Woodsons of Ohio"?
3. How does the author establish the social and political atmosphere into which she was born in "Second Daughter’s Second Day on Earth"?
4. How is the unfolding Civil Rights Movement described in the poem "South Carolina at War"?
5. What was Gunnar Irby's profession? What struggles did he face in his job?
6. Who are the people described in "The Almost Friends"?
7. When and where does the author describe her paternal great-great-grandfather's birth in "It’ll Be Scary Sometimes"?
8. How does the author describe her siblings in the poems "The Reader" and "Hope" from Part 1?
9. How does the author describe the names in her family in "Family Names"?
10. How does the author describe her feelings about the Bible and Christianity in "Bible Times"?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)