|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose dream of a ladder to heaven is described in "Bible Times"?
2. When was Martin Luther King, Jr. born?
3. Where did Jack Woodson earn a scholarship to attend college?
(a) Rutgers University.
(b) California State University.
(c) Princeton University.
(d) Ohio State University.
4. What color is the home of the Woodsons described as in "The Ghosts of the Nelsonville House"?
5. How does Jacqueline Woodson describe her infant fists in "Second Daughter's Second Day on Earth"?
(a) "Clenched in determination and glory."
(b) "Clenched in rage."
(c) "Ready to change the world."
(d) "Shaking from fear and sorrow."
Short Answer Questions
1. What line is repeated several times in the poem "The Almost Friends"?
2. What did Jacqueline come to call her maternal grandfather when living with him, according to the narrative of "Gunnar's Children"?
3. Who was Thomas Woodson's mother?
4. Where did Mary Anne's family live in South Carolina?
5. What is the maiden name of Jacqueline Woodson's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is "Daywork" described in the poem with the same name? Who took on daywork to support Jackie and her siblings when they were growing up?
2. How does the author describe her grandmother's rules in "The Right Way to Speak"?
3. Into what genres does Brown Girl Dreaming fall? How are these genres defined?
4. When and where does the author describe her paternal great-great-grandfather's birth in "It’ll Be Scary Sometimes"?
5. What does the author describe calling her grandfather in "Gunnar's Children"? How does she describe her feelings for her grandfather?
6. What is the symbolic image that concludes the poem "Second Daughter’s Second Day on Earth"? What is symbolized in this imagery?
7. What was Gunnar Irby's profession? What struggles did he face in his job?
8. How does the author describe her siblings in the poems "The Reader" and "Hope" from Part 1?
9. How does the author describe her ancestry in "February 12, 1963"?
10. What event is described in the poem "The Candy Lady"?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)