|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Jackie describe her grandfather bringing home superhero comic books for his grandchildren in "Hope"?
(a) On Saturdays.
(b) On Tuesdays.
(c) On Fridays.
(d) On Thursdays.
2. Where was Jacqueline's ancestor Thomas Woodson from?
(a) Oxford, Mississippi.
(b) Harlem, New York.
(c) Brooklyn, New York.
(d) Chillicothe, Ohio.
3. Who in Jacqueline Woodson's family wanted her to be named simply "Jack"?
(a) Her aunts.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
4. What is Grace Woodson's relationship to Jacqueline?
(a) She is Jacqueline's second cousin.
(b) She is Jacqueline's sister.
(c) She is Jacqueline's grandmother.
(d) She is Jacqueline's aunt.
5. What is the name of Jacqueline Woodson's maternal grandfather?
(a) Jack Rogers.
(b) Andrew Williams.
(c) Gunnar Irby.
(d) Hunter Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Jacqueline Woodson's mother when Jackie was born?
2. What night of the week is described in "Hair Night"?
3. Who was the first black child to attend an all-white elementary school in the South?
4. Who was Thomas Woodson's father?
5. What was Mary Anne's sister Caroline called?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the unfolding Civil Rights Movement described in the poem "South Carolina at War"?
2. What story is related from Grandma Georgiana's perspective in "Other People’s Memory"?
3. How is life in Greenville described in the poem "Ohio Behind Us"?
4. How is Odell described in the poem "Uncle Odell"? Who was named for Odell?
5. Into what genres does Brown Girl Dreaming fall? How are these genres defined?
6. How is "Daywork" described in the poem with the same name? Who took on daywork to support Jackie and her siblings when they were growing up?
7. How does the author describe her ancestry in "February 12, 1963"?
8. How does the author establish the social and political atmosphere into which she was born in "Second Daughter’s Second Day on Earth"?
9. How does the author describe her feelings about the Bible and Christianity in "Bible Times"?
10. What does the author describe calling her grandfather in "Gunnar's Children"? How does she describe her feelings for her grandfather?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)