|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Roman's appearance differ from those of his siblings?
(a) Roman is paler.
(b) Roman is fatter.
(c) Roman is darker.
(d) Roman is thinner.
2. Who is described as always reading in the poem "Tomboy"?
3. What did Jackie describe being bitten by in her story to Uncle Robert in "Believing"?
(a) A snake.
(b) A dog.
(d) A rabbit.
4. Who is the focus of the poem "The Paint Eater"?
5. How did Jacqueline Woodson's family respond when she told them she wanted to be a writer the first time?
(a) They laughed at her.
(b) They wept.
(c) They smiled dismissively.
(d) They encouraged her relentlessly.
6. What does Jacqueline Woodson describe her mother teaching her to cook in "Lessons"?
(b) Collared greens.
(d) Pot roast.
7. What had Grandpa Gunnar done with the swing set in "Daddy This Time"?
(a) He sold it.
(b) He buried it.
(c) He had cemented it down.
(d) He gave it away.
8. What happens to the "Selfish Giant," according to the poet in "Family"?
(a) He learns to fly.
(b) He loses the battle.
(c) He falls into the well.
(d) He goes to heaven.
9. How many books were Jackie and her siblings allowed to check out from the library each week in the poem "Stevie and Me"?
10. What happens to Pinocchio in the books, according to the poet in "Family"?
(a) He tells the truth.
(b) He falls from a cliff.
(c) He becomes a boy.
(d) He finds love.
11. What school does Jackie describe attending in "First Grade"?
(a) P.S. 56.
(b) P.S. 203.
(c) P.S. 106.
(d) Harlem Elementary.
12. Who is the focus of the poem "Gifted"?
(a) Mary Anne.
13. Who ran the Nursery and Day School that Jackie and her siblings attended while in Greenville?
(a) Mrs. Anderson.
(b) Ms. Smith.
(c) Ms. Parham.
(d) Mrs. Hughes.
14. Where did Uncle Robert move when he arrived in New York in "Uncle Robert"?
(a) Greenwich Village.
(d) Far Rockaway.
15. Who was Aunt Kay's boyfriend that helped Jackie's family move in "Brooklyn, New York"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Jackie's first book was a collection of seven haiku's focused on what subject?
2. From where is Little Red Riding Hood's grandmother saved, according to the poet in "Family"?
3. Who is Jackie's teacher that is described in "Late Autumn"?
4. What physical trait do Mary Anne, Gunnar, Jackie, Dell, and Hope all share, according to the poet in "Genetics"?
5. Where was the "New Girl" Diana from?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)