|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day of the week is described in the poem "Lessons"?
2. What school does Jackie describe attending in "First Grade"?
(a) P.S. 106.
(b) P.S. 56.
(c) P.S. 203.
(d) Harlem Elementary.
3. Where was the "New Girl" Diana from?
(d) Puerto Rico.
4. Where did Uncle Robert move when he arrived in New York in "Uncle Robert"?
(c) Far Rockaway.
(d) Greenwich Village.
5. Who is the focus of the poem "Gifted"?
(c) Mary Anne.
6. Why was Roman's bed pulled away from the wall when he returned home from the hospital?
(a) So he would be unable to reach the curtains.
(b) So he would stop crying.
(c) So he would not hit his head on the wall.
(d) So that he could not eat the paint.
7. What does the poet describe happening to the witch in "Family"?
(a) She falls from the roof of her house.
(b) She steps on a snake.
(c) She gets chucked into the oven by Gretel.
(d) She is eaten by the dinosaur.
8. How far did Jackie have to walk to attend school in "First Grade"?
(a) 2 blocks.
(b) 1 mile.
(c) 2 miles.
(d) 5 blocks.
9. What color does the narrator describe New York as in the poem "New York City"?
10. Where did Uncle Robert promise to take Jackie and her siblings in the poem "Far Rockaway"?
(a) Coney Island.
(d) A Yankees game.
11. Why did Jacqueline Woodson relate to the character "Stevie" in "Stevie and Me"?
(a) He liked sports.
(b) He lived in an apartment.
(c) He looked like her.
(d) He was a lion.
12. What led to Hope's interest in science, according to the poet in "Chemistry"?
(a) Horror movies.
(b) Comic books.
(d) Saturday cartoons.
13. What does the poet describe Winnie the Pooh always getting in the poem "Family"?
(a) His honey.
(b) His laughter.
(c) His friends.
(d) His carrots.
14. Who is the focus of the poem "The Paint Eater"?
15. What is Jacqueline Woodson's middle name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the poet describe Bernie and Peaches moving in "Moving Again"?
2. Who lived below Jackie's family when they moved to Herzl Street?
3. The poem "Saturday Morning" explores Jackie's longing for Greenville through her descriptions of what aspect?
4. How did Jacqueline Woodson's family respond when she told them she wanted to be a writer the first time?
5. What kind of tree does the poet describe sitting under on her block in "How to Listen #6"?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)