|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the "Selfish Giant," according to the poet in "Family"?
(a) He learns to fly.
(b) He goes to heaven.
(c) He loses the battle.
(d) He falls into the well.
2. What food product does the poet describe Aunt Kay eating like candy in the poem "Caroline But We Called Her Aunt Kay, Some Memories"?
(a) Bullion cubes.
(b) Corn flakes.
(c) Saltine crackers.
(d) Argo starch.
3. When did Langston Hughes die?
4. What word in the book is used to describe fire hydrants that are turned on for children in the summertime in New York?
(a) Splatter levers.
(b) Roger jacks.
(d) Johnny pumps.
5. What color does the narrator describe New York as in the poem "New York City"?
6. Why did Jacqueline Woodson write her name as "Jackie" in the poem "Late Autumn"?
(a) Because she couldn't spell Jacqueline.
(b) Because she had always wanted to be called Jackie.
(c) Because she couldn't make a cursive "Q."
(d) Because she was unable to hear.
7. Where does the poet describe Bernie and Peaches moving in "Moving Again"?
(a) To Far Rockaway.
(b) To Harlem.
(c) To Bedford-Stuyvesant.
(d) To Queens.
8. How does Roman's appearance differ from those of his siblings?
(a) Roman is fatter.
(b) Roman is thinner.
(c) Roman is paler.
(d) Roman is darker.
9. Where does the poet describe Grandma Georgiana sitting on the bus in "What Everybody Knows Now"?
(a) In the back.
(b) By the driver.
(c) In the middle.
(d) In the front.
10. Where is the church that Mary Anne took her children to attend in Brooklyn?
(a) Bushwick Avenue.
(c) Bedford Avenue.
(d) Park Avenue.
11. In what neighborhood of Brooklyn is the apartment that is described in "Brooklyn, New York"?
(a) Carroll Gardens.
(c) Park Slope.
(d) Brooklyn Heights.
12. In whose shadow does the poet describe growing up in "The Other Woodson"?
(b) Mary Anne's.
13. When is the poem "Maria" set?
(a) Late June.
(b) Late August.
(d) Early April.
14. What is the title of Part 3 of Brown Girl Dreaming?
(a) “The Stories of South Carolina Run Like Rivers.”
(b) "Followed the Sky's Mirrored Constellation to Freedom."
(c) “Power to the People.”
(d) “I am Born.”
15. Who is the focus of the poem "The Paint Eater"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of learning did Jacqueline Woodson struggle with growing up?
2. Whose voice is described in the poem "Off-Key"?
3. What does the poet describe Hope performing in "Hope Onstage"?
4. From where is Little Red Riding Hood's grandmother saved, according to the poet in "Family"?
5. How far did Jackie and her family walk to attend church on Sundays, as described in "Another Kingdom Hall"?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)