|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lived above Jackie's family on Herzl Street?
(b) Aunt Kay and Bernie.
(d) Jack and Sarah.
2. What does Jacqueline Woodson describe her mother teaching her to cook in "Lessons"?
(a) Pot roast.
(d) Collared greens.
3. Who is the "Tomboy" that this poem describes?
4. Why did Jackie not pledge allegiance to the flag at school growing up?
(a) She was not born in America.
(b) Her religion forbids it.
(c) She was always late.
(d) She had a speech disorder.
5. How old was Roman when he finally returned from the hospital in "One Place"?
6. What did Uncle Robert tell Jackie and her siblings they could make wishes on in "Wishes"?
(a) Four-leaf clovers.
(b) Sidewalk cracks.
(d) Rabbits' feet.
7. What physical trait do Mary Anne, Gunnar, Jackie, Dell, and Hope all share, according to the poet in "Genetics"?
(b) Large noses.
(c) Broad shoulders and small feet.
(d) Gaps between their front teeth.
8. Why did Jacqueline Woodson write her name as "Jackie" in the poem "Late Autumn"?
(a) Because she couldn't spell Jacqueline.
(b) Because she had always wanted to be called Jackie.
(c) Because she couldn't make a cursive "Q."
(d) Because she was unable to hear.
9. What kind of tree does the poet describe sitting under on her block in "How to Listen #6"?
(a) An elm tree.
(b) An oak tree.
(c) A birch tree.
(d) A willow tree.
10. What happens to Pinocchio in the books, according to the poet in "Family"?
(a) He falls from a cliff.
(b) He tells the truth.
(c) He finds love.
(d) He becomes a boy.
11. Where does the poet describe Bernie and Peaches moving in "Moving Again"?
(a) To Harlem.
(b) To Queens.
(c) To Bedford-Stuyvesant.
(d) To Far Rockaway.
12. Who is the focus of the poem "Gifted"?
(b) Mary Anne.
13. What does the poet describe Winnie the Pooh always getting in the poem "Family"?
(a) His carrots.
(b) His friends.
(c) His honey.
(d) His laughter.
14. How does the poet describe her school in "First Grade"?
15. What did Uncle Robert give to Mary Anne when he moved to New York?
(a) A teddy bear.
(b) A James Brown record.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) Silver earrings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jackie go when the pledge of allegiance was said in class in first grade?
2. What store does the poet describe Grandma Georgiana avoiding because she was once made to wait long past her turn for service in "What Everybody Knows Now"?
3. In what language did Gunnar ask Jackie to speak to him, in "Daddy This Time"?
4. Why was Roman's bed pulled away from the wall when he returned home from the hospital?
5. What is the title of Part 3 of Brown Girl Dreaming?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)