|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lived above Jackie's family on Herzl Street?
(a) Jack and Sarah.
(b) Aunt Kay and Bernie.
2. The poem "Saturday Morning" explores Jackie's longing for Greenville through her descriptions of what aspect?
(a) The food.
(b) The sounds.
(c) The houses.
(d) The smells.
3. What is Jacqueline Woodson's middle name?
4. Where did Jackie and her siblings move after Aunt Kay's death, as described in the poem "Moving Again"?
(b) Jackson Street.
(c) Bedford Avenue.
(d) Madison Street.
5. Where is the church that Mary Anne took her children to attend in Brooklyn?
(a) Bushwick Avenue.
(b) Bedford Avenue.
(c) Park Avenue.
6. What did Jackie describe being bitten by in her story to Uncle Robert in "Believing"?
(a) A dog.
(c) A snake.
(d) A rabbit.
7. What did Robert give to Dell when he arrived in New York in "Uncle Robert"?
(a) Silver earrings.
(b) A notebook.
(c) A guitar.
(d) A puzzle.
8. What does the poet describe Hope performing in "Hope Onstage"?
(a) A poem.
(b) A solo song.
(c) A dramatic monologue.
(d) A short-story reading.
9. How many syllables comprise traditional haiku format?
10. What does the poet describe happening to the witch in "Family"?
(a) She is eaten by the dinosaur.
(b) She steps on a snake.
(c) She gets chucked into the oven by Gretel.
(d) She falls from the roof of her house.
11. In what neighborhood of Brooklyn is the apartment that is described in "Brooklyn, New York"?
(b) Carroll Gardens.
(c) Brooklyn Heights.
(d) Park Slope.
12. Who took Jackie, Dell, and Hope to South Carolina in "Home Again to Hall Street"?
(a) Grandpa Gunnar.
(b) Mary Anne.
(c) Uncle Robert.
(d) Aunt Kay.
13. Where did Uncle Robert move when he arrived in New York in "Uncle Robert"?
(a) Greenwich Village.
(b) Far Rockaway.
14. When did Langston Hughes die?
15. How does the poet describe her school in "First Grade"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does the narrator describe New York as in the poem "New York City"?
2. How does Roman's appearance differ from those of his siblings?
3. Whose voice is described in the poem "Off-Key"?
4. Where did Uncle Robert promise to take Jackie and her siblings in the poem "Far Rockaway"?
5. What word in the book is used to describe fire hydrants that are turned on for children in the summertime in New York?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)