|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the first black child to attend an all-white elementary school in the South?
(a) Sarah James.
(b) Mabel Smith.
(c) Jacqueline Woodson.
(d) Ruby Bridges.
2. What did Georgina tell her grandchildren never to do?
(b) Go to college.
(c) Sit in the back of the bus.
(d) Pet a dog.
3. How old was Jacqueline Woodson's father when Jackie was born?
4. When was Jacqueline Woodson born?
(a) August 15, 1962.
(b) February 12, 1963.
(c) June 2, 1963.
(d) March 12, 1965.
5. In what war did William J. Woodson fight?
(a) The Korean War.
(b) World War II.
(c) The Mexican-American War.
(d) The American Civil War.
6. What title of address did Jackie's mother forbid her children to use?
(c) Your Honor.
7. What breakfast does the poet describe eating in "Bible Times"?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(b) Buttered biscuits.
8. What form are the poems of Brown Girl Dreaming?
(b) Blank verse.
(c) Free verse.
(d) Iambic pentameter.
9. What was William J. Woodson's relationship to Jacqueline?
(a) He was her great-great-grandfather.
(b) He was her grandfather.
(c) He was her great-great-uncle.
(d) He was her great-grandfather.
10. What is the name of Jacqueline Woodson's maternal grandfather?
(a) Hunter Smith.
(b) Gunnar Irby.
(c) Jack Rogers.
(d) Andrew Williams.
11. What creatures "keep going / as though they know their song / is our lullaby" in the poem "Lullaby"?
(c) Blue jays.
12. What health problem did the boy from up the road suffer from in "The Almost Friends"?
(a) A speech impediment.
(c) A hole in his heart.
13. Where had Mary Anne's sister recently moved in the poem "Ohio Behind Us"?
(b) New York.
14. Where is Dorothy's seamstress that makes her dresses and gloves described in "The Training"?
(c) New York.
15. Who was Thomas Woodson's father?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Ben Franklin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jacqueline Woodson's father?
2. Who was Thomas Woodson's mother?
3. How did Jacqueline Woodson's Uncle Odell die?
4. Where was Jacqueline's ancestor Thomas Woodson from?
5. On what night of the week did Jackie's mother depart for New York in the poem "The Blanket"?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)