|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What health problem did the boy from up the road suffer from in "The Almost Friends"?
(c) A speech impediment.
(d) A hole in his heart.
2. Where was William J. Woodson born?
3. During what years was John F. Kennedy President of the United States?
4. When was Jacqueline Woodson born?
(a) February 12, 1963.
(b) March 12, 1965.
(c) August 15, 1962.
(d) June 2, 1963.
5. Who are the people that lived across the road from Jackie's grandmother and who she warned them to stay away from in the poem "The Almost Friends"?
(a) Jamie and her sisters.
(b) Cora and her sisters.
(c) Megan and her brothers.
(d) Phil and his sisters.
6. Who is the focus of the poem "The Reader"?
(b) Mary Anne.
7. What color is the home of the Woodsons described as in "The Ghosts of the Nelsonville House"?
8. Who was Thomas Woodson's father?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Ben Franklin.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
9. What did Georgina tell her grandchildren never to do?
(a) Pet a dog.
(b) Go to college.
(d) Sit in the back of the bus.
10. When did Martin Luther King, Jr.'s March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom take place?
(a) September 14, 1962.
(b) April 7, 1964.
(c) August 28, 1963.
(d) July 12, 1966.
11. When was Martin Luther King, Jr. born?
12. What is the name of the predominantly African-American community in Greenville, South Carolina, that is described by the poet?
13. Where did Mary Anne's family live in South Carolina?
(a) Myrtle Beach.
14. What line is repeated several times in the poem "The Almost Friends"?
(a) "We would soon find out."
(b) "I heard her crying."
(c) "We walked to town, alone."
(d) "We know better than that."
15. How old is Dell described as in "The Beginning"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What flavor ice-cream is described as Gunnar's favorite in "The Candy Lady"?
2. What kind of branch has Jackie's mother stripped to use as a switch in the poem "The Right Way to Speak"?
3. How old was Jacqueline Woodson's mother when Jackie was born?
4. What did Jackie and her siblings use to soothe Georgina's feet at night?
5. What Biblical river is referenced in the poem "The Leavers"?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)