|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Selina plan to get money for her plan to improve Clive's life?
2. What happens when Silla goes into Miss Mary's room?
3. What does Selina feel that she can do at the end of the book?
4. What does Selina do at her home after leaving Clive's apartment for the last time?
5. Which of the following is Selina reminded about by the women in white associated with Father Peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Selina planning to do when she decides to try to help Clive with his art career?
2. Why is Selina mistaken in trying so hard to promote Clive's art?
3. Why is Silla upset with Deighton's adoration of Father Peace?
4. How does Selina know that her father is truly lost to her family?
5. Why does Clive warn Selina against joining the Modern Dance Club?
6. What does Clive's relationship with his mother teach Selina about her own relationship with her mother?
7. Why does Suggie warn Selina to stay away from the Barbadian Association?
8. Why does Selina seclude herself and refuse to go out following her father's death?
9. Why does Selina finally leave Clive?
10. How does Selina's manner of dress following her father's death reflect her inner emotional state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Think about the friendship theme in the book. Who are Selina's friends? Were some better friends than others? Who can Selina count on the most? Who will never give up on her? In the end, who acts in the purest, friendliest way toward her?
Essay Topic 2
Death induces extreme emotional reactions. Think about each of the deaths that occur in this novel - both actual physical deaths and metaphorical deaths. Focusing on each one in turn, analyze the importance of each death, and how it plays an integral role in a new life coming forth.
Essay Topic 3
A character from Greek mythology, Atlas is compared to Selina because she feels like she is carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders. What are the type of weights that Selina carries? What other characters carry big weights on their shoulders? Does that make them stronger? Meaner? More compassionate? Does Atlas ever get relief from his burden? Do Selina, Silla, or any of the other characters?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)