|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is one of the reasons that Maritze is bitter?
2. What is one of the main issues that the Boyce family faces?
3. Which of the following means of transportation do Beryl and Selina take to the park?
4. What do Selina's parents argue about frequently?
5. What does Selina find out when she returns home that Monday evening after her father has cashed the check from the land sale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Deighton in such a happy mood at the beginning of Chapter 5?
2. In Book 3, Chapters 1-4, what does Florrie do to Selina that shocks her so much? And why does she do it?
3. Why does Suggie drink rum and act so promiscuous?
4. How do Deighton's actions support Silla's annoyances with him?
5. Why is Selina uncomfortable in Book 2 when she sees the couple making out in the park ?
6. In Book 1, why does Selina not want to wear the second-hand clothes that Silla has brought home?
7. Why does Selina think that babies are born by chopping the mother's stomach open?
8. In Book 1, Chapter 3, why does Selina worry about her mother?
9. How do Selina's daydreams about Barbados differ from her mother's memories?
10. Why does Silla want to sell the land that her husband has inherited in Barbados so badly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character maintains the best and most useful and productive attitude toward the life that they lead? Make a case for your choice, and support with evidence from the book.
Essay Topic 2
A character from Greek mythology, Atlas is compared to Selina because she feels like she is carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders. What are the type of weights that Selina carries? What other characters carry big weights on their shoulders? Does that make them stronger? Meaner? More compassionate? Does Atlas ever get relief from his burden? Do Selina, Silla, or any of the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Racism is one of the major themes in Brown Girl, Brownstones. Part 1: Discuss what you know about racism in the early 20th Century, and provide examples from the book that illustrate your points.
Part 2: Compare and contrast how Deighton, Silla, and Selina experience and react to racism.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)