|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Selina decide to do about her mother's plan to sell her father's land?
2. Which of the following item types will Silla make and sell for extra money?
3. Who is Father Peace?
4. What does Suggie like to drink?
5. What does Selina see at the park in Book 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 1, Chapter 3, why does Selina worry about her mother?
2. In Book 3, Chapters 1-4, what does Florrie do to Selina that shocks her so much? And why does she do it?
3. What wish does Selina make on her 15th birthday; and why does she regret it?
4. Following his work injury, why does Deighton see no point in engaging in physical therapy to enable his injured arm back to full strength?
5. In Book 1, why does Selina not want to wear the second-hand clothes that Silla has brought home?
6. In Book 2, while her parents argue about the land in Barbados, what do Selina's daydreams focus upon?
7. Beryl's father asks Selina about her own father, and then tells her that he is a disgrace. Why does that upset Selina so much?
8. How do Deighton's actions support Silla's annoyances with him?
9. How are Silla and Miss Thompson alike?
10. Why is Deighton in such a happy mood at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marriage was considered to be one of the few options for a young woman in the early 20th Century. Look at each moment in the novel when marriage is mentioned, or when a wedding takes place. Describe the connotations about marriage. What kind of viewpoints does Selina develop about marriage based on each of those situations?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the ways in which Selina is innocent and how she gains knowledge. Connect those ideas to major themes in the book. In other words, identify the areas in which Selina is innocent, and track her journey into a more knowledgeable status in the area(s) that you cite. What themes do those topics illuminate?
Essay Topic 3
Which character maintains the best and most useful and productive attitude toward the life that they lead? Make a case for your choice, and support with evidence from the book.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)