|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Selina feel that she can do at the end of the book?
(a) Find a man who will marry her and take her away.
(b) Dance better than anyone else.
(c) Forget all about Clive.
(d) Face prejudice and be able to overcome it.
2. What does Selina wonder when Ina makes her major announcement without exhibiting much excitement?
(a) Whether Suggie is okay.
(b) Whether all women are ambiguous about getting married.
(c) Whether her mother will ever marry someone new.
(d) Whether she will ever find a man.
3. In Book 4, Chapter 6, how does Selina feel when Clive leaves to pick up his mother?
4. How does Selina react when one of her friends confronts her about her relationship with Clive?
(a) She breaks down and cries.
(b) She acknowledges that they are dating.
(c) She denies that she even knows him.
(d) She says that they are just friends.
5. In Book 4, where does Selina attend a party despite still deeply grieving over her father's death?
(a) A nightclub.
(b) Beryl's house.
(c) Ina's church basement.
(d) Suggie's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on the walk home after the Association meeting?
2. Which of the following does Selina like most while she is at college?
3. What does Clive say about mothers?
4. What does Selina do at the recital?
5. After Deighton dies, what happens when Selina dreams about boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Selina go to her first Association meeting?
2. Why does Selina finally leave Clive?
3. What kind of symbolism is embedded in Selina's new job?
4. What does Clive's relationship with his mother teach Selina about her own relationship with her mother?
5. What does Selina think about Ina making her engagement announcement in a less than excited way?
6. What does Selina think about the Association?
7. Does Selina's experience with the Modern Dance Club reinforce Clive's belief that the White people who belong to it are racists?
8. Why does Clive warn Selina against joining the Modern Dance Club?
9. As Selina gains more life experience with other mothers such as Clive's and Mrs. Benton, what does she realize?
10. Why is Silla upset with Deighton's adoration of Father Peace?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)