|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 4, which of the of the following does Ina declare to care more about than boys?
(b) Her mother.
(c) Going to college.
2. Which of the following causes Selina to run out of the room at the party after the dance recital?
(a) Mrs. Benton telling her to clean up the room.
(b) Beryl yelling at everyone and embarrassing Selina.
(c) Mrs. Benton asking her to do a West Indies accent.
(d) Being ashamed of her mother.
3. How does Deighton die?
(a) He is stabbed by a robber.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He drowns.
(d) He is sent to fight in the War.
4. What does Selina learn about racism because of her experience with Rachel Fine?
(a) That she will never be able to overcome it.
(b) That racism is merely a state of mind.
(c) That not all Whites are racist.
(d) That Silla is more racist than anyone.
5. What does Selina do at the recital?
(a) She performs a dance about the cycle of life.
(b) She dances a waltz.
(c) She performs a very modern jazz number.
(d) She performs a song and dance from a Broadway show.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following dreams does Silla realize in Book 4?
2. Where does Silla go to work when the defense factories are closed after the War?
3. What does Selina do when Clive is not available to comfort her following her run-in with Mrs. Benton?
4. How does Silla react to Selina calling her Hitler?
5. What other momentous event happens on the same day that Selina learns about her father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Benton think about Selina?
2. What does Selina think upon meeting Clive's mother?
3. How does Selina surprise herself when she meets Clive?
4. What kind of symbolism is embedded in Selina's new job?
5. Why does Suggie warn Selina to stay away from the Barbadian Association?
6. Why does Miss Thompson tell Selina the story of how her foot became ulcerated?
7. What does Selina think about the Association?
8. Why does Selina call her mother "Hitler"?
9. What does Selina realize about herself upon going to a party at Beryl's house?
10. After Miss Mary dies, Selina dances and laughs with Suggie. What do those actions convey to Selina about herself?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)