|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Benton say about Selina?
(a) That she is the best dancer who she has ever seen.
(b) That she is too poor to befriend her daughter.
(c) That she is well-spoken for a Negro.
(d) That she is not allowed in her home.
2. Whom does Selina seek comfort with following her bad experience at the Benton house?
(c) Miss Thompson.
3. How does Selina display her grief for her father?
(a) By wearing black.
(b) By avoiding other people.
(c) By eating only crackers.
(d) By living in the dark.
4. Which of the following is Selina singled out to be at the dance recital?
(a) A singer with a good voice.
(b) A Black dancer.
(c) A dancer without a costume.
(d) A high school graduate.
5. Which of the following does Selina like most while she is at college?
(a) Times Square.
(c) Coney Island.
(d) Prospect Park.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Selina learn about racism because of her experience with Rachel Fine?
2. Which of the following dreams does Silla realize in Book 4?
3. Which of the following is the term used when referring to someone who is suggesting that all Blacks be allowed to join the Association?
4. What does Clive's mother do to his paintings?
5. What do Miss Mary and Silla have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Selina think about the Association?
2. What is significant about Selina's call to Rachel Fine for help in finding a job?
3. Why does Miss Thompson tell Selina the story of how her foot became ulcerated?
4. Why does Selina decline the Association scholarship?
5. How does Selina know that her father is truly lost to her family?
6. Why does Selina call her mother "Hitler"?
7. As Selina gains more life experience with other mothers such as Clive's and Mrs. Benton, what does she realize?
8. What kind of symbolism is embedded in Selina's new job?
9. By Book 4, Chapter 4, Selina is growing up and going to college. What else is different in her life?
10. After Miss Mary dies, Selina dances and laughs with Suggie. What do those actions convey to Selina about herself?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)