|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does Clive resemble Deighton?
(a) By having a mistress.
(b) By yelling at Selina.
(c) By lounging on the sofa.
(d) By eating too much.
2. Whose house do the dancers go to following the performance?
(b) Margaret Benton's.
(d) Miss Thompson's.
3. Which of the following dreams does Silla realize in Book 4?
(a) Marrying a rich man.
(b) Seeing her daughter get married.
(c) Moving to a new neighborhood.
(d) Owning her own house.
4. How does Silla react to Deighton's news about his new devotion to Father Peace?
(a) She cannot believe him.
(b) She throws things at him.
(c) She says that Deighton's devotion to Father Peace will set her free.
(d) She cries.
5. What does Selina do at the recital?
(a) She performs a song and dance from a Broadway show.
(b) She dances a waltz.
(c) She performs a dance about the cycle of life.
(d) She performs a very modern jazz number.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Selina display her grief for her father?
2. Which of the following is Miss Thompson's advice to a grown-up Selina?
3. What major announcement does Ina make toward the end of the book?
4. Which of the following is Selina reminded about by the women in white associated with Father Peace?
5. How does Silla react to Selina calling her Hitler?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Selina decline the Association scholarship?
2. Why does Clive warn Selina against joining the Modern Dance Club?
3. How does Selina surprise herself when she meets Clive?
4. Why does Miss Thompson tell Selina the story of how her foot became ulcerated?
5. How does Selina know that her father is truly lost to her family?
6. What does Selina think about the Association?
7. In Book 4, Chapters 1-3, Silla finally achieves her dream of owning the house that she and Selina live in. What makes it apparent that it has not made her happy?
8. What does Mrs. Benton think about Selina?
9. By Book 4, Chapter 4, Selina is growing up and going to college. What else is different in her life?
10. As Selina gains more life experience with other mothers such as Clive's and Mrs. Benton, what does she realize?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)