|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 4, Chapter 10, which of the following statements best describes how Clive chooses to respond when his mother asks for his help?
(a) He helps Selina rather than his mother.
(b) He helps his mother rather than Selina.
(c) He breaks up with Selina.
(d) He runs away to get away from Selina.
2. What does Selina realize when she sees the manner in which Mrs. Benton treats her daughter?
(a) That White mothers and daughters love each other more.
(b) That she can fit into White society.
(c) That she will never accept Whites.
(d) That even White mothers and daughters can have bad relationships.
3. Where does Selina go with Ina while her parents are arguing about Deighton's involvement with Father Peace?
(a) To Beryl's house.
(b) To the store.
(c) To the neighbor's house.
(d) To church.
4. How dowa Selina plan to change things for Clive?
(a) She wanta to go away where he can paint freely.
(b) She wants to enroll Clive in college.
(c) She wants to sell his paintings and help him get rich.
(d) She wants to get married so that his mother will not be so bossy.
5. What does Clive do a lot?
(a) Plays the harmonica.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the reason upon which Clive bases his thoughts that Selina should not socialize with Whites?
2. Where does Deighton take Selina to see Father Peace?
3. What changes in Selina's physical appearance are based on her grief over her father's death?
4. When Silla and Deighton argue after he has become a follower of Father Peace, what huge family burden and loss does Silla blame Deighton for having caused?
5. What does Silla think about Father Peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Selina gains more life experience with other mothers such as Clive's and Mrs. Benton, what does she realize?
2. Why does Suggie warn Selina to stay away from the Barbadian Association?
3. What is Selina planning to do when she decides to try to help Clive with his art career?
4. What does Selina think upon meeting Clive's mother?
5. What does Selina realize about herself upon going to a party at Beryl's house?
6. In Book 3, Chapter 8, why does Selina ask Deighton to take her to see Father Peace?
7. Why does Selina decline the Association scholarship?
8. After Miss Mary dies, Selina dances and laughs with Suggie. What do those actions convey to Selina about herself?
9. Why does Miss Thompson tell Selina the story of how her foot became ulcerated?
10. How does Father Peace upset Selina rather than make her feel welcome?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)