|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Silla react to Deighton's return following his trip to the bank to cash the check?
(a) She scratches his face.
(b) She throws everything out the window.
(c) She smashes his new trumpet on the floor.
(d) She runs out.
2. What does Beryl tell Selina will happen to her if she does not menstruate by the time that she turns 20 years of age?
(a) That she will be shunned.
(b) That she will die.
(c) That she will lose her hair.
(d) That she will get fat.
3. In Book 3, what does Silla say that she will do to get what she wants?
(a) Kill her husband.
(b) Make her husband get a job.
(c) Kick her husband out.
(d) Sell her husband's land.
4. Why did parents avoid teaching their daughters about sex in the early part of the 20th Century?
(a) Because they wanted to scare the girls.
(b) Because they knew that girls would never get married if they did not have knowledge about sex.
(c) Because they thought that girls were evil.
(d) Because they thought that the girls would not have sex if they did not know about it.
5. How old is Selina at the opening of the book?
(a) Sixteen (16).
(b) Eight (8).
(c) Ten (10).
(d) Twelve (12).
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Deighton do after the incident at the mattress factory?
2. In Book 3, how does Silla carry out her plan to get money for a house?
3. Who does Deighton see on his way to visit his mistress?
4. What does Miss Thompson do for a living?
5. What is the relationship between Suggie and Selina?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Silla worry when Deighton does not return home with the money from the land sale?
2. In Book 1, Chapter 3, why is Maritze so annoyed with Suggie's romantic adventures?
3. In Book 2, while her parents argue about the land in Barbados, what do Selina's daydreams focus upon?
4. Why is Selina uncomfortable in Book 2 when she sees the couple making out in the park ?
5. In Book 1, why does Selina not want to wear the second-hand clothes that Silla has brought home?
6. How do Selina's daydreams about Barbados differ from her mother's memories?
7. In Book 1, why does Deighton want to keep the fact that he has inherited land as a surprise?
8. Why does Suggie drink rum and act so promiscuous?
9. In Book 3, how does Silla manage to sell Deighton's land out from under him?
10. What wish does Selina make on her 15th birthday; and why does she regret it?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)