|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at Silla's job in Book 3?
(a) She finds someone to build her a house.
(b) She gets a promotion.
(c) She meets another man.
(d) She gets fired.
2. What do Selina's parents argue about frequently?
(a) About what to do with the land in Barbados.
(b) About whether to have another baby.
(c) About whether they should go back to Barbados.
(d) About where to send Selina to school.
3. What does Mary think that Maritze's focus should be?
(a) Finding a husband.
(b) Finding a new home.
(c) Making more friends.
(d) Getting a job.
4. What does Selina do as Beryl comforts her at the park in Book 2?
(a) She tells a story from the island.
(b) She keeps arguing.
(c) She reads poetry that she has written.
(d) She wonders what is going on.
5. With whom does Selina dance at the wedding?
(b) An old man.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 3, Chapter 1, what is it about Selina that changes at the same time that the major world event is taking place?
2. Why is Book 2 called Pastorale?
3. Who is Father Peace?
4. Which of the following item types will Silla make and sell for extra money?
5. In Book 3, Chapter 1, what world event changes everyone's lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 1, Chapter 3, why is Maritze so annoyed with Suggie's romantic adventures?
2. In Book 1, Chapter 3, why does Selina worry about her mother?
3. How do the clothes that Selina, Silla, and Ina wear to the wedding of 'Gupta Steed's daughter reflect their positions in the family?
4. Why does Suggie drink rum and act so promiscuous?
5. What is the main problem in Silla's and Deighton's marriage?
6. Miss Thompson's roommate has three little girls, but it is Miss Thompson who cares for them. Why is that?
7. Why do you think that Deighton is seeking out a mistress?
8. What event takes place in Book 3 that coincides with the beginning of World War II?
9. Following his work injury, why does Deighton see no point in engaging in physical therapy to enable his injured arm back to full strength?
10. How do Selina's daydreams about Barbados differ from her mother's memories?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)