|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 3, when she attends the wedding, which of the following does Selina mentally picture herself as being in relation to the bow on her head?
(a) A unicorn with his horn.
(b) A queen with a crown.
(c) Athena in her flowing gowns.
(d) Holding up the world at last.
2. What type of mood does Deighton have on that Monday morning before he goes to the bank to cash the check from the land sale?
3. In Book 3, what is Silla's reaction after hearing her father reminisce about courting her mother?
(a) She has a hard time believing that her mother had ever been young and dancing.
(b) She wonders whether she will ever find a husband.
(c) She thinks that her father is crazy.
(d) She wonders whether her father is making up the stories that he is telling.
4. Whose wedding does the family attend in Book 3?
(a) Miss Thompson's wedding.
(b) The wedding of 'Gatha Steed's daughter.
(c) Beryl's sister's wedding.
(d) Maritze's wedding.
5. What does Selina's mother bring home from work for Selina?
(b) A letter.
(c) Hand-me down clothes.
(d) Extra work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Selina's sister's name?
2. Where do people in the story go for fun on a Saturday night?
3. What do Selina and Beryl argue about in Book 2?
4. How does Selina feel when she realizes that her mother has not told her about the facts of life?
5. What is one of the main issues that the Boyce family faces?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Selina uncomfortable in Book 2 when she sees the couple making out in the park ?
2. Why does Silla worry when Deighton does not return home with the money from the land sale?
3. In Book 1, Chapter 3, why does Selina worry about her mother?
4. What is Selina's relationship with her mother like?
5. What is the main problem in Silla's and Deighton's marriage?
6. In Book 3, Chapters 1-4, what does Florrie do to Selina that shocks her so much? And why does she do it?
7. How do Selina's daydreams about Barbados differ from her mother's memories?
8. How are Silla and Miss Thompson alike?
9. Why does Suggie drink rum and act so promiscuous?
10. In Book 3, how does Silla manage to sell Deighton's land out from under him?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)