|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Selina's parents argue about frequently?
(a) About what to do with the land in Barbados.
(b) About where to send Selina to school.
(c) About whether to have another baby.
(d) About whether they should go back to Barbados.
2. What does Silla's friend, Florrie do to Selina that upsets her?
(a) Hits her.
(b) Makes fun of her.
(c) Touches her breast.
(d) Tells her that she is ugly.
3. Why is Silla not happy about Deighton's good news?
(a) Because she does not want more children.
(b) Because she thinks that he will kill her.
(c) Because she is afraid that money is evil.
(d) Because she worries that he will squander his inheritance.
4. Whose wedding does the family attend in Book 3?
(a) Miss Thompson's wedding.
(b) The wedding of 'Gatha Steed's daughter.
(c) Beryl's sister's wedding.
(d) Maritze's wedding.
5. Who does Deighton see on his way to visit his mistress?
(a) The police.
(c) Miss Mary.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book 3, what does Silla say that she will do to get what she wants?
2. In Book 1, Chapter 3, what is Deighton's latest idea for making money?
3. What does Mary think that Maritze's focus should be?
4. What does Selina decide to do about her mother's plan to sell her father's land?
5. What is the relationship between Selina and Beryl?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 2, Beryl and Selina have a conversation about babies being born. Why do they not know the facts of life?
2. Miss Thompson's roommate has three little girls, but it is Miss Thompson who cares for them. Why is that?
3. What is Selina's relationship with her mother like?
4. What event takes place in Book 3 that coincides with the beginning of World War II?
5. How does Deighton respond to the racism that he encounters while applying for accounting jobs?
6. Deighton starts to believe in a cult-like religion. Which cult-like religion is it?
7. How is the issue of racism introduced in Book 1?
8. What is the main problem in Silla's and Deighton's marriage?
9. Why does Silla worry when Deighton does not return home with the money from the land sale?
10. Beryl's father asks Selina about her own father, and then tells her that he is a disgrace. Why does that upset Selina so much?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)