|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Beryl tell Selina will happen to her if she does not menstruate by the time that she turns 20 years of age?
(a) That she will be shunned.
(b) That she will lose her hair.
(c) That she will get fat.
(d) That she will die.
2. What do Selina and Beryl argue about in Book 2?
(a) About how babies are born.
(b) About the identity of Virgie's boyfriend.
(c) About how to feed a baby.
(d) About how animals eat.
3. What does Silla think of Selina?
(a) That Selina should be sent away.
(b) That Selina is the cross that she has to bear.
(c) That Selina will never amount to anything.
(d) That Selina is her pride and joy.
4. What type of mood does Silla have on that Monday morning as Deighton is leaving to go to the bank to cash his check?
5. What is the relationship between Selina and Beryl?
(b) Best friends.
(c) Mother and daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Silla react to Deighton's return following his trip to the bank to cash the check?
2. What gift does Deighton have for Selina after cashing the land sale check?
3. In what part of New York does the Boyce family live?
4. How does Maritze react to Suggie's lovers staying over?
5. Which of the following phrase best describes the relationship between Deighton and Silla?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Selina's daydreams about Barbados differ from her mother's memories?
2. What is Selina's relationship with her mother like?
3. In Book 3, Chapters 1-4, what does Florrie do to Selina that shocks her so much? And why does she do it?
4. Why is Deighton in such a happy mood at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. Why does Selina think that babies are born by chopping the mother's stomach open?
6. Why do you think that Deighton is seeking out a mistress?
7. Why does Silla worry when Deighton does not return home with the money from the land sale?
8. In Book 2, Beryl thinks that babies just pop out easily. What misinformation does she have about menstruation?
9. In Book 1, why does Selina not want to wear the second-hand clothes that Silla has brought home?
10. What event takes place in Book 3 that coincides with the beginning of World War II?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)