|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Selina's sister's name?
2. What is The New Light?
(a) A book that Selina is reading.
(b) A new religion.
(c) A religious newspaper.
(d) A clothing resale shop in Selina's neighborhood.
3. What do the guests at the wedding think about Deighton?
(a) That he is a great trumpet player.
(b) That he has done a nice thing.
(c) That he is a foolish husband.
(d) That he is a bad father.
4. In Book 3, Chapter 1, what is it about Selina that changes at the same time that the major world event is taking place?
(a) She is transferred to a different school.
(b) She gets her period.
(c) She gets a job.
(d) She gets married.
5. How does Miss Thompson like to spend her money?
(a) Buying presents for her grandchildren.
(b) Buying presents for her roommates' children.
(c) Buying clothes for her sister.
(d) Buying chocolates for herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Deighton tries to apply for an accounting job?
2. How does Silla react to Deighton's return following his trip to the bank to cash the check?
3. What does Beryl tell Selina will happen to her if she does not menstruate by the time that she turns 20 years of age?
4. What sets Miss Mary apart from the other tenants?
5. What is the name of Beryl's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 3, Chapters 1-4, what does Florrie do to Selina that shocks her so much? And why does she do it?
2. In Book 2, Beryl and Selina have a conversation about babies being born. Why do they not know the facts of life?
3. Miss Thompson's roommate has three little girls, but it is Miss Thompson who cares for them. Why is that?
4. How does Deighton respond to the racism that he encounters while applying for accounting jobs?
5. What is the main problem in Silla's and Deighton's marriage?
6. In Book 1, Chapter 3, why is Maritze so annoyed with Suggie's romantic adventures?
7. How is the issue of racism introduced in Book 1?
8. How are Silla and Miss Thompson alike?
9. Deighton starts to believe in a cult-like religion. Which cult-like religion is it?
10. What is Selina's relationship with her mother like?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)