|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Silla go to work when the defense factories are closed after the War?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A prison.
(c) A school.
(d) A hospital.
2. After Deighton dies, what happens when Selina dreams about boys?
(a) Her mother slaps her face to awaken her from the dream.
(b) Suggie discourages her from having sex.
(c) Ina is angry with her..
(d) Her father reaches out to her from beyond the grave.
3. Why does Deighton want to be called Brother Boyce after he has fallen in with Father Peace?
(a) Because he acknowledges that he is not Selina's real father.
(b) Because Father Peace negates all family ties.
(c) Because Deighton is really Silla's brother.
(d) Because Deighton is ashamed of his family.
4. Whom of the following does the author indicate that she has been made to feel like when referring to the hard future that Selina has faced?
(a) Rachel Fine.
(b) Silla, Selina's mother.
(c) Miss Thompson.
(d) Miss Mary.
5. What are Selina's plans at the end of the book?
(a) That she is planning to move in with Suggie.
(b) That she still plans to go away.
(c) That she agrees to do what her mother has asked her to do.
(d) That she plans to return to Barbados.
6. How dowa Selina plan to change things for Clive?
(a) She wants to get married so that his mother will not be so bossy.
(b) She wanta to go away where he can paint freely.
(c) She wants to sell his paintings and help him get rich.
(d) She wants to enroll Clive in college.
7. Which of the following is Selina warned not to do by Clive?
(a) Go away.
(b) Quit school.
(c) Become Bohemian.
(d) Learn to dance.
8. When Selina and her father leave the place where Father Peace gathers his followers, to whom are they compared by the narrator?
(a) Oedipus and Antigone.
(b) Socrates and Plato.
(c) Zeus and Athena.
(d) God and Mary.
9. What happens on the walk home after the Association meeting?
(a) Selina and Clive have sex.
(b) They drink rum.
(c) Clive convinces Selina to join the Association.
(d) Selina remembers Miss Thompson's story and runs away.
10. At the party in Book 4, what does Selina ask Beryl upon becoming annoyed with her compliant behavior?
(a) Whether she has any thoughts or opinions of her own.
(b) Whether she is going to attend college.
(c) Whether she can get a ride home with her.
(d) Whether she can get her any food item in particular that is available at the party.
11. How does Silla manage to evict Suggie?
(a) By making Suggie's life so miserable that she decides to leave on her own.
(b) By revealing that she has stolen money.
(c) By telling her that only married women can board there.
(d) By convincing other roomers to call her a prostitute.
12. Which of the following is Miss Thompson's advice to a grown-up Selina?
(a) To stay away from boys.
(b) To graduate from college.
(c) To have a good time while she can.
(d) To refrain from attending Association meetings.
13. What does Clive do a lot?
(a) Plays the harmonica.
14. When Miss Thompson sees Selina as an adult, what topic does she discuss with her?
(a) Why Silla is so angry.
(b) Her foot ulcer.
(c) Life in the South.
(d) How girls can get pregnant.
15. How does Silla react to Deighton's news about his new devotion to Father Peace?
(a) She cries.
(b) She throws things at him.
(c) She cannot believe him.
(d) She says that Deighton's devotion to Father Peace will set her free.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Deighton tell his family after having become more enthralled with Father Peace?
2. What does Clive do during the War?
3. Who is not in the audience at Selina's dance recital?
4. Which of the following does Selina gain from her experience at the Benton house, and Mrs. Benton's comments to her?
5. What does Selina do at the recital?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)