|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Book 3, what does Silla do when she realizes that Deighton will not be returning?
(a) She orders Selina to never visit her father again.
(b) She moves to another state with her daughters.
(c) She tries to kill him.
(d) She turns him in as an illegal immigrant.
2. In Book 4, which of the following does Selina notice when comparing herself to the other girls at the party?
(a) That she looks like a boy.
(b) That she is very thin and sad.
(c) That she is smarter than all of them.
(d) That she lacks all ambition.
3. Which of the following dreams does Silla realize in Book 4?
(a) Owning her own house.
(b) Seeing her daughter get married.
(c) Moving to a new neighborhood.
(d) Marrying a rich man.
4. Which of the following career types does Silla want Selina to pursue after college?
5. What does Selina do at her home after leaving Clive's apartment for the last time?
(a) She puts on a brave face and does not share her pain with anyone.
(b) She cries, and tells her family the whole story.
(c) She cries, but will not tell her family anything.
(d) She tells her family all about the dance that she has performed.
6. Which of the following is Selina selected for in Book 4?
(a) A trip to Washington, D.C.
(b) To perform as a soloist at Ina's church.
(c) To perform a solo at the dance recital.
(d) A scholarship to college.
7. Which of the following is the reason upon which Clive bases his thoughts that Selina should not socialize with Whites?
(a) They make fun of her.
(b) They will beat her.
(c) They just want to appear to be non-racist.
(d) They are liars and cheaters.
8. What does Selina tell Silla when she confronts her about the Association scholarship?
(a) She tells her to get out of her life.
(b) She tells her about her plan with Clive.
(c) She tells her that she plans to marry Edgar.
(d) She tells her that she hates her.
9. In Chapter 10 of Book 4, which of the following does Clive's mother do that annoys Selina?
(a) She fakes a medical emergency.
(b) She helps Selina feel better.
(c) She throws Selina out of their house.
(d) She yells and states that Selina is not a good match for Clive.
10. What does Selina do when Clive is not available to comfort her following her run-in with Mrs. Benton?
(a) She follows Clive to make sure that he is telling the truth.
(b) She waits for Clive to return.
(c) She leaves her key in Clive's apartment and goes home.
(d) She leaves a note for Clive, asking him to visit her later.
11. Where does Selina go with Ina while her parents are arguing about Deighton's involvement with Father Peace?
(a) To Beryl's house.
(b) To the store.
(c) To church.
(d) To the neighbor's house.
12. Which of the following does Selina like most while she is at college?
(a) Coney Island.
(b) Times Square.
(d) Prospect Park.
13. How does Silla react to Deighton's news about his new devotion to Father Peace?
(a) She cannot believe him.
(b) She cries.
(c) She throws things at him.
(d) She says that Deighton's devotion to Father Peace will set her free.
14. In Book 4, whom of the following does Selina spend a lot of time with despite that person having lost the ability to talk?
(b) Miss Mary.
15. When Silla and Deighton argue after he has become a follower of Father Peace, what huge family burden and loss does Silla blame Deighton for having caused?
(a) Ina's unhappiness.
(b) The death of their son.
(c) Selina's thoughts about marriage.
(d) The problems in the neighborhood.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Deighton dies, what happens when Selina dreams about boys?
2. Which of the following fields of study does Silla pursue when the defense factories close in Book 4?
3. Which of the following does Selina not realize about her relationship with Clive?
4. What does Selina realize when she sees the manner in which Mrs. Benton treats her daughter?
5. Which of the following reasons does Selina accept as the basis for Silla's eviction of Suggie?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)