|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clive say about mothers?
(a) That they are crazy.
(b) That they have no patience for art.
(c) That they are stupid.
(d) That they never want to cut the umbilical cord.
2. Which of the following is the term used when referring to someone who is suggesting that all Blacks be allowed to join the Association?
3. Which of the following reasons does Selina accept as the basis for Silla's eviction of Suggie?
(a) Suggie has called Silla names.
(b) Silla is hateful and mean.
(c) Silla wants rich boarders only.
(d) Silla wants to get rid of all of Selina's friends.
4. What does Selina discover that her father has left behind upon her return with Ian following her parents' argument over Deighton's involvement with Father Peace?
(a) His trumpet.
(b) All his fine clothes.
(c) A puppy.
(d) Money for his survival.
5. What does Selina realize when she sees the manner in which Mrs. Benton treats her daughter?
(a) That she can fit into White society.
(b) That White mothers and daughters love each other more.
(c) That she will never accept Whites.
(d) That even White mothers and daughters can have bad relationships.
6. What kind of job does Selina get at the end of the book?
(a) Singing at a jazz club.
(b) Teaching dance lessons.
(c) Dancing on a cruise ship.
(d) Dancing at a bar.
7. What does Selina say to the audience at the Association scholarship presentation?
(a) That she does not deserve the scholarship.
(b) That she is going to donate the money to the school.
(c) That she wants Beryl to have the money.
(d) That she plans to use the money to take piano lessons.
8. How does Clive respond to Selina's plan to change his life?
(a) He is not interested.
(b) He gives up painting.
(c) He proposes to her.
(d) He breaks up with her.
9. In Book 4, Chapter 10, which of the following statements best describes how Clive chooses to respond when his mother asks for his help?
(a) He helps Selina rather than his mother.
(b) He breaks up with Selina.
(c) He helps his mother rather than Selina.
(d) He runs away to get away from Selina.
10. In Book 4, which of the following does Selina notice when comparing herself to the other girls at the party?
(a) That she is very thin and sad.
(b) That she looks like a boy.
(c) That she is smarter than all of them.
(d) That she lacks all ambition.
11. How does Deighton die?
(a) He drowns.
(b) He is sent to fight in the War.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He is stabbed by a robber.
12. What does Selina feel that she can do at the end of the book?
(a) Forget all about Clive.
(b) Find a man who will marry her and take her away.
(c) Face prejudice and be able to overcome it.
(d) Dance better than anyone else.
13. What other momentous event happens on the same day that Selina learns about her father's death?
(a) Her mother buys a house.
(b) Selina kisses a boy.
(c) Ina gets married.
(d) The war ends.
14. How does Selina plan to get money for her plan to improve Clive's life?
(a) By selling Clive's paintings.
(b) Through a scholarship from the Association.
(c) By taking care of White people's children.
(d) By dropping out of school to work.
15. What does Selina tell Silla when she confronts her about the Association scholarship?
(a) She tells her that she plans to marry Edgar.
(b) She tells her that she hates her.
(c) She tells her to get out of her life.
(d) She tells her about her plan with Clive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose house do the dancers go to following the performance?
2. In Chapter 10 of Book 4, which of the following does Clive's mother do that annoys Selina?
3. Whom of the following does the author indicate that she has been made to feel like when referring to the hard future that Selina has faced?
4. Which of the following is Selina reminded about by the women in white associated with Father Peace?
5. What does Selina do at her home after leaving Clive's apartment for the last time?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)