|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Silla go to work when the defense factories are closed after the War?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A hospital.
(c) A school.
(d) A prison.
2. What kind of job does Selina get at the end of the book?
(a) Teaching dance lessons.
(b) Singing at a jazz club.
(c) Dancing on a cruise ship.
(d) Dancing at a bar.
3. What are Selina's plans at the end of the book?
(a) That she still plans to go away.
(b) That she agrees to do what her mother has asked her to do.
(c) That she plans to return to Barbados.
(d) That she is planning to move in with Suggie.
4. What does Deighton tell his family after having become more enthralled with Father Peace?
(a) That he is going to kill himself.
(b) That he is going back to Barbados.
(c) That he is going to move out to work for Father Peace.
(d) That he is going to get a permanent job at last.
5. How does Silla react to Selina calling her Hitler?
(a) She allows Selina to cry and comforts her.
(b) She throws Selina out of the house.
(c) She drinks herself into an incoherent state.
(d) She tells Selina that she is useless.
6. How does Selina plan to get money for her plan to improve Clive's life?
(a) By selling Clive's paintings.
(b) By dropping out of school to work.
(c) By taking care of White people's children.
(d) Through a scholarship from the Association.
7. How do the other dancers respond to Selina's performance at her dance recital?
(a) They think that she is amazing.
(b) They laugh at her.
(c) They are jealous.
(d) They throw things at her.
8. What happens on the walk home after the Association meeting?
(a) They drink rum.
(b) Clive convinces Selina to join the Association.
(c) Selina remembers Miss Thompson's story and runs away.
(d) Selina and Clive have sex.
9. Which of the following is Selina selected for in Book 4?
(a) A scholarship to college.
(b) To perform as a soloist at Ina's church.
(c) A trip to Washington, D.C.
(d) To perform a solo at the dance recital.
10. At the party in Book 4, what does Selina ask Beryl upon becoming annoyed with her compliant behavior?
(a) Whether she can get her any food item in particular that is available at the party.
(b) Whether she has any thoughts or opinions of her own.
(c) Whether she is going to attend college.
(d) Whether she can get a ride home with her.
11. In Book 4, which of the of the following does Ina declare to care more about than boys?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Going to college.
12. Where does Deighton take Selina to see Father Peace?
(a) To the kingdom.
(b) To the temple.
(c) To the table.
(d) To the mountain.
13. Why does Deighton want to be called Brother Boyce after he has fallen in with Father Peace?
(a) Because Father Peace negates all family ties.
(b) Because he acknowledges that he is not Selina's real father.
(c) Because Deighton is ashamed of his family.
(d) Because Deighton is really Silla's brother.
14. What does Selina tell Silla when she confronts her about the Association scholarship?
(a) She tells her that she hates her.
(b) She tells her to get out of her life.
(c) She tells her that she plans to marry Edgar.
(d) She tells her about her plan with Clive.
15. What does Clive do during the War?
(a) Is a cook in the Navy.
(b) Cleans up dead bodies.
(c) Digs fox holes.
(d) Flies fighter planes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Selina not realize about her relationship with Clive?
2. Which of the following does Selina like most while she is at college?
3. At the end of Book 3, what does Silla do when she realizes that Deighton will not be returning?
4. What does Selina do at the recital?
5. How dowa Selina plan to change things for Clive?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)