|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens at Silla's job in Book 3?
(a) She gets fired.
(b) She meets another man.
(c) She finds someone to build her a house.
(d) She gets a promotion.
2. What is the relationship between Mary and Maritze?
(a) Old lady and her nurse.
(d) Mother and daughter.
3. How does Deighton's mistress treat him?
(a) She wants to marry him.
(b) She calls him names.
(c) She does not judge him.
(d) She wants his money.
4. In Book 3, what news do Silla's friends inform her about that triggers her anger?
(a) That other islanders are buying houses.
(b) That the food that she cooks is not tasty.
(c) That Selina is now a woman.
(d) That her husband has a mistress.
5. What will the children at Miss Thompson's do when it is time for bed?
(a) They will throw a tantrum.
(b) They will fall asleep on the floor.
(c) They will jump on the bed.
(d) They will crawl into Miss Thompson's bed.
6. What does Selina's mother bring home from work for Selina?
(a) Hand-me down clothes.
(c) A letter.
(d) Extra work.
7. In Book 1, Chapter 3, what do Suggie and her date drink?
8. What is the name of Beryl's father?
9. How does Maritze react to Suggie's lovers staying over?
(a) She bangs on the wall between their apartments.
(b) She screams.
(c) She wants to move away.
(d) She tries to kill them.
10. What is The New Light?
(a) A book that Selina is reading.
(b) A clothing resale shop in Selina's neighborhood.
(c) A religious newspaper.
(d) A new religion.
11. How do others react when Selina tries to tell them about her mother's plan to sell her father's land?
(a) They tell her father.
(b) They tell her that it is not any of her business.
(c) They tell her mother.
(d) They do not listen to her.
12. Whose wedding does the family attend in Book 3?
(a) Beryl's sister's wedding.
(b) Miss Thompson's wedding.
(c) Maritze's wedding.
(d) The wedding of 'Gatha Steed's daughter.
13. Which of the following means of transportation do Beryl and Selina take to the park?
(a) A taxi.
(b) A horse buggy.
(c) A trolley.
(d) The subway.
14. During the argument between Selina and Beryl in Book 2, what does Selina believe that she will never do?
(a) Have babies.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Understand love.
(d) Start bleeding.
15. What does Deighton do after the incident at the mattress factory?
(a) He sits around and reads a newspaper.
(b) He goes to physical therapy.
(c) He decides to reform and become a better husband.
(d) He becomes an alcoholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Deighton tries to apply for an accounting job?
2. Why did parents avoid teaching their daughters about sex in the early part of the 20th Century?
3. After accounting, what does Deighton decide to do for a living?
4. Who is Vergie?
5. Why does Selina think that babies are born by cutting the mother's stomach open?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)