|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did parents avoid teaching their daughters about sex in the early part of the 20th Century?
(a) Because they knew that girls would never get married if they did not have knowledge about sex.
(b) Because they thought that girls were evil.
(c) Because they wanted to scare the girls.
(d) Because they thought that the girls would not have sex if they did not know about it.
2. How does Selina feel when she realizes that her mother has not told her about the facts of life?
3. What does Deighton have when he finally arrives home after cashing the land sale check?
(a) Presents for everyone.
(b) A car.
(c) The deed to a new house.
(d) Train tickets to Florida.
4. What type of mood does Silla have on that Monday morning as Deighton is leaving to go to the bank to cash his check?
5. What does Selina see at the park in Book 2?
(a) Birds mating.
(b) Lovers displaying affection toward each other.
(c) Babies nursing.
(d) Her sister with a boy.
6. In Book 1, Chapter 3, what is Deighton's latest idea for making money?
(a) Chopping wood.
(b) Making rum.
(c) Selling voodoo dolls.
7. When they get to the park, where do Beryl and Selina go?
(a) To the ice cream stand.
(b) To the library.
(c) To the clothing store.
(d) To the zoo.
8. How old is Selina at the opening of the book?
(a) Ten (10).
(b) Twelve (12).
(c) Sixteen (16).
(d) Eight (8).
9. Why does Selina think that babies are born by cutting the mother's stomach open?
(a) Because she has read it in a medical book.
(b) Because that had been the way that Virgie had delivered her baby--by Caesarean section.
(c) Because Selina has a younger sibling who was born in that manner.
(d) Because that is what Ina had told her.
10. What happens when Deighton tries to apply for an accounting job?
(a) He encounters racism.
(b) He panics and does not go.
(c) He is beaten up.
(d) He is hired.
11. In Book 3, Chapter 1, what world event changes everyone's lives?
(a) The stock market crash.
(b) The sinking of the Titanic.
(c) The election of a new President of the United States.
(d) The War that has been declared in Europe.
12. Which of the following is one of the reasons that Maritze is bitter?
(a) She is illegitimate.
(b) She is ugly.
(c) She is too tall.
(d) She is crippled.
13. What does Selina decide to do about her mother's plan to sell her father's land?
(a) Tell the priest so that he will convince her mother to stop.
(b) Go to the factory and talk to her mother.
(c) Tell her father before her mother can do anything.
(d) Go to the police.
14. Whose wedding does the family attend in Book 3?
(a) Beryl's sister's wedding.
(b) Miss Thompson's wedding.
(c) Maritze's wedding.
(d) The wedding of 'Gatha Steed's daughter.
15. What does Selina do to Ina when Ina states that she will tell their father how bad he is?
(a) Selina tries to strangle Ina.
(b) Selina beat ups Ina.
(c) Selina pulls Ina's hair.
(d) Selina pushes Ina into a door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of mood does Deighton have on that Monday morning before he goes to the bank to cash the check from the land sale?
2. What does Mary think that Maritze's focus should be?
3. Which of the following means of transportation do Beryl and Selina take to the park?
4. Why does Miss Thompson not go to the doctor?
5. Who does Deighton see on his way to visit his mistress?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)