|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 3, when she attends the wedding, which of the following does Selina mentally picture herself as being in relation to the bow on her head?
(a) Athena in her flowing gowns.
(b) Holding up the world at last.
(c) A queen with a crown.
(d) A unicorn with his horn.
2. During the argument between Selina and Beryl in Book 2, what does Selina believe that she will never do?
(a) Start bleeding.
(b) Get a job.
(c) Have babies.
(d) Understand love.
3. How does Silla react to Deighton's return following his trip to the bank to cash the check?
(a) She smashes his new trumpet on the floor.
(b) She throws everything out the window.
(c) She runs out.
(d) She scratches his face.
4. Whose wedding does the family attend in Book 3?
(a) Beryl's sister's wedding.
(b) The wedding of 'Gatha Steed's daughter.
(c) Maritze's wedding.
(d) Miss Thompson's wedding.
5. What does Beryl do to comfort Selina after they argue at the park?
(a) She holds her close.
(b) She brushes her hair.
(c) She buys her candy.
(d) She rubs her feet.
6. Why is Book 2 called Pastorale?
(a) Because it takes place in a pasture.
(b) Because it has elements of nature: the park, the zoo, and talk about babies.
(c) Because the pastor preaches a sermon in Book 2.
(d) Because the girls listen to a concert where a pastorale is performed.
7. What is the relationship between Suggie and Selina?
(a) Suggie has an affair with Selina's father.
(b) Suggie lives upstairs.
(c) Suggie is Selina's babysitter.
(d) Selina wants to be like Suggie.
8. What gift does Deighton have for Selina after cashing the land sale check?
(a) Hair ribbon.
(b) New shoes.
(c) A gift certificate to the bookstore.
(d) A puppy.
9. What is the Barbados island religion called?
10. Who is Vergie?
(a) A nun.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A debt collector.
11. What are Deighton's happy news?
(a) That he has gotten a job.
(b) That he is buying a house.
(c) That he has inherited land in Barbados.
(d) That they are about to have a son.
12. What happens to Deighton at the mattress factory?
(a) He causes a riot.
(b) He gets fired.
(c) He has a heart attack.
(d) His arm is injured in the machinery.
13. What happens at Silla's job in Book 3?
(a) She meets another man.
(b) She finds someone to build her a house.
(c) She gets a promotion.
(d) She gets fired.
14. In Book 3, what is Silla's reaction after hearing her father reminisce about courting her mother?
(a) She thinks that her father is crazy.
(b) She has a hard time believing that her mother had ever been young and dancing.
(c) She wonders whether her father is making up the stories that he is telling.
(d) She wonders whether she will ever find a husband.
15. In Book 2, Pastorale, what does Selina ask to do with her best friend?
(a) Go to Prospect Park.
(b) Look for her father.
(c) Spend the afternoon at Coney Island.
(d) Visit a boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary think that Maritze's focus should be?
2. What do the guests at the wedding think about Deighton?
3. What does Deighton have when he finally arrives home after cashing the land sale check?
4. Who is Father Peace?
5. What does Deighton do after the incident at the mattress factory?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)