|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many siblings does Beryl have?
(a) Five (5).
(b) Seven (7).
(c) Three (3).
(d) Six (6).
2. What is the relationship between Selina and Beryl?
(a) Best friends.
(c) Mother and daughter.
3. In Book 3, what news do Silla's friends inform her about that triggers her anger?
(a) That her husband has a mistress.
(b) That Selina is now a woman.
(c) That other islanders are buying houses.
(d) That the food that she cooks is not tasty.
4. In what part of New York does the Boyce family live?
(c) Little Italy.
(d) The Bronx.
5. Why does Selina think that babies are born by cutting the mother's stomach open?
(a) Because Selina has a younger sibling who was born in that manner.
(b) Because she has read it in a medical book.
(c) Because that had been the way that Virgie had delivered her baby--by Caesarean section.
(d) Because that is what Ina had told her.
6. Who is not in the Boyce family photograph?
(b) The son.
7. Where does Silla get a new job in Book 3?
(a) At the hospital.
(b) At the bakery.
(c) At the church.
(d) At a defense factory.
8. What sets Miss Mary apart from the other tenants?
(a) She has a car.
(b) She is Selina's father's employer.
(c) She is White.
(d) She owns the brownstone.
9. In Book 3, Chapter 1, what world event changes everyone's lives?
(a) The War that has been declared in Europe.
(b) The stock market crash.
(c) The sinking of the Titanic.
(d) The election of a new President of the United States.
10. How does Maritze react to Suggie's lovers staying over?
(a) She bangs on the wall between their apartments.
(b) She wants to move away.
(c) She screams.
(d) She tries to kill them.
11. What does Silla tell her daughters that she did as a child?
(a) Worked in the fields.
(b) Wove cloth.
(c) Drank rum.
(d) Shined shoes.
12. In Book 1, Chapter 3, what is Deighton's latest idea for making money?
(a) Selling voodoo dolls.
(c) Chopping wood.
(d) Making rum.
13. How does Deighton's mistress treat him?
(a) She wants to marry him.
(b) She calls him names.
(c) She wants his money.
(d) She does not judge him.
14. After accounting, what does Deighton decide to do for a living?
(a) Drive trolleys.
(b) Become a policeman.
(c) Play the trumpet.
(d) Play the piano.
15. What does Selina daydream about when her parents fight?
(a) About being the white child of the former owners of the brownstone.
(b) About being a better mother than her own.
(c) About being married to a handsome man who is nice.
(d) About running away to California.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Deighton tries to apply for an accounting job?
2. What gift does Deighton have for Selina after cashing the land sale check?
3. What does Beryl tell Selina will happen to her if she does not menstruate by the time that she turns 20 years of age?
4. What happens at Silla's job in Book 3?
5. Whose wedding does the family attend in Book 3?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)