|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person called to testify from Mitya's family during his trial?
2. Who becomes loud and angry and is warned by the judge to stay in bounds in Book 12, Chapter 14?
3. What does the defense attorney tell the jurors they are in charge of deciding in addition to the truth of Mitya's story?
4. Which of the following things do Kolya and Alyosha not talk about in Book 10, Chapter 6?
5. Who does Alyosha go to meet in at the beginning of the Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character, Smerdyakov. In what ways did the author set up Smerdyakov as an unstable character?
Essay Topic 2
The role of religion is one that is very pronounced throughout much of the book. Part 1.) How does Alysosha represent religious values in the book? Part 2.) What about the author's depiction of Zosima brings religion to the forefront in the book? Part 3.) In what way could you argue that the author presented his own voice about religion by including Zosima's teachings and speeches in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character Grushenka in the book. What motivated this character to exude selfishness and a constant need for attention?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)