|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Katarina say Mitya had loaned her family years ago during his trial?
2. What does Mitya cry out that Katarina has done to him after she testifies in his trial?
3. How much do police estimate Mitya spent in Mokroye?
4. What does the defense attorney suggest that Mitya has not been allowed during his final speech?
5. What does Ivan want to know if Smerdyakov faked when he visits him in Book 11, Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mitya react just after he is arrested for the death of his father?
2. How are the medical experts that are used in Mitya's trial described?
3. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
4. How is Grushenka's testimony in Mitya's trial described?
5. Describe Mitya's plea to the court in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 14.
6. What points of contention does the defense lawyer introduce in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 11?
7. What does Mitya agree to being guilty of at the beginning of his trial?
8. How does the audience react while the jurors go into deliberation in Mitya's trial?
9. What does Alyosha discover about a secret between Mitya and Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 4?
10. How does the judge react when Kirillovich begins quoting from the Bible loudly during Mitya's trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of manipulation in the book. How do characters like Grushenka and Fyodor use manipulation to accomplish their goals?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the nature of the inclusion of Zosima's teachings and recordings in the book. How might these recordings give spirituality and religion a voice?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony of the chapter titles in the book. What reason might the author have to impart such irony?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)