|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mitya claim he had been carrying the money he had received from Katarina?
2. What does Ivan begin raving about after hearing voices at the end of Book 11?
3. What is Grushenka's old Polish lover asking her for during Mitya's trial?
4. Who is not sympathetic to the prosecuting attorney when he objects the defense's final speech?
5. What does Lise smash in the door when Alyosha leaves from visiting her in Book 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the discussion between Ivan and Smerdyakov in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 6?
2. How is Lise described in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 3?
3. Describe Mitya's plea to the court in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 14.
4. How is Kolya described when he is first seen in Part 4, Book 10, Chapter 1?
5. How is Grushenka's testimony in Mitya's trial described?
6. How does Mitya react when the police make him take off his clothes for examination?
7. How does the defense attorney describe Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 13?
8. What does Mitya agree to being guilty of at the beginning of his trial?
9. What is the nature of the voices Ivan hears in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 9?
10. How do Pyotr and Madame Khokhalakov act towards each other when they first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme that is present throughout much of the book is the portrayal of friendship. Part 1.) What might the author be saying about the importance of having friendship in sibling relationships based on his portrayal of the Karamazov brothers? Part 2.) What is telling of the importance of friendship based on the author's portrayal of Kolya and the other boys?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Mitya. What about the nature of this character suggests that he will be the downfall of the Karamazov family?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Karamazov brothers with Ilyusha's family. What might the author be saying about the nature of the Karamazov family by making a direct comparison with Ilyusha's family?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)