|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Smerdyakov kill himself?
2. What does Lise tell Alyosha that she feels when she reads horrible things?
3. What does Mitya agree to being guilty of at the beginning of his trial?
4. Who confesses to Ivan that he killed Fyodor?
5. Who does Alyosha go to meet in at the beginning of the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Kolya described when he is first seen in Part 4, Book 10, Chapter 1?
2. How do Pyotr and Madame Khokhalakov act towards each other when they first meet?
3. How does the defense attorney describe Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 13?
4. How is Lise described in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 3?
5. How does Mitya react just after he is arrested for the death of his father?
6. How does the audience react while the jurors go into deliberation in Mitya's trial?
7. What points of contention does the defense lawyer introduce in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 11?
8. What does Mitya agree to being guilty of at the beginning of his trial?
9. How are Fetyukovich's attempts to accuse Smerdyakov received in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 12?
10. What is the nature of Alyosha and Grushenka's discussion in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alyosha's role as the representation of good is clear from the beginning to the end of the book. Part 1.) What reason does the author have for portraying Alyosha as the only representation of good? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about religious and spiritual people in relation to goodness based on his portrayal of Alyosha? Part 3.) Are there other characters present in the book that can be deemed good?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of Russian society in the book. What is the author saying about Russian society based on the speeches given during Mitya's trial?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of manipulation in the book. How do characters like Grushenka and Fyodor use manipulation to accomplish their goals?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)