|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Katarina show Alyosha a letter from in Book 11, Chapter 7?
2. Who searches for Mitya at the beginning of Book 9, Chapter 1?
3. Which of the following things do Kolya and Alyosha not talk about in Book 10, Chapter 6?
4. Who is not sympathetic to the prosecuting attorney when he objects the defense's final speech?
5. Who is Alyosha shocked to see that Katarina is in love with in the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Alyosha and Grushenka's discussion in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 1?
2. How are Fetyukovich's attempts to accuse Smerdyakov received in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 12?
3. How are the medical experts that are used in Mitya's trial described?
4. How does the defense attorney describe Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 13?
5. How is Alyosha and Kolya's first interaction described?
6. What is the nature of Ivan's testimony in Mitya's trial?
7. What happens when Katarina gives the judge her letter from Mitya during his trial?
8. What happens to Mitya after the police and prosecutors read his statement in Part 3, Book 9, Chapter 9?
9. How does Mitya react when the police make him take off his clothes for examination?
10. What does Mitya agree to being guilty of at the beginning of his trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of man versus God theme. In what way does the author set up this theme with the representation of Ivan?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character, Smerdyakov. In what ways did the author set up Smerdyakov as an unstable character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony of the chapter titles in the book. What reason might the author have to impart such irony?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)