|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Grushenka tell Alyosha that she believes Mitya has a secret with?
2. Who is Alyosha planning to meet with to discuss Mitya's planned escape at the beginning of the Epilogue?
3. Who does Katarina show Alyosha a letter from in Book 11, Chapter 7?
4. What does Lise smash in the door when Alyosha leaves from visiting her in Book 11?
5. What does the defense lawyer introduce as a new point of contention in his final speech in regards to Fyodor's empty envelope?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the medical experts that are used in Mitya's trial described?
2. What is the nature of the voices Ivan hears in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 9?
3. How does the judge react when Kirillovich begins quoting from the Bible loudly during Mitya's trial?
4. How does Mitya react just after he is arrested for the death of his father?
5. What does Mitya agree to being guilty of at the beginning of his trial?
6. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
7. What points of contention does the defense lawyer introduce in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 11?
8. What happens when Katarina gives the judge her letter from Mitya during his trial?
9. How does the audience react while the jurors go into deliberation in Mitya's trial?
10. What does Alyosha discover about a secret between Mitya and Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme that is present throughout much of the book is the portrayal of friendship. Part 1.) What might the author be saying about the importance of having friendship in sibling relationships based on his portrayal of the Karamazov brothers? Part 2.) What is telling of the importance of friendship based on the author's portrayal of Kolya and the other boys?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Fyodor in the book. In what way does the author set up this character to be hated and not sympathized?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes presented in the book is the dynamic of the father-son relationship. Part 1.) In what way is the father-son relationship portrayed abnormally in the book? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the importance of being a good father based on the outcome of Fyodor's fate in the book? Part 3.) What reason does the author have for portraying a more realistic and normal father-son dynamic in Ilyusha and the Captain?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)