|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes loud and angry and is warned by the judge to stay in bounds in Book 12, Chapter 14?
2. How is the courthouse described at the beginning of Mitya's trial?
3. Who does Alyosha go to meet in at the beginning of the Epilogue?
4. How many days since Mitya's trial had it been at the beginning of the Epilogue?
5. How much money does Katarina say Mitya had loaned her family years ago during his trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lise described in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 3?
2. What does Smerdyakov confess to Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 8?
3. What points of contention does the defense lawyer introduce in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 11?
4. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
5. What is the nature of the voices Ivan hears in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 9?
6. Describe Mitya's plea to the court in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 14.
7. How does the audience react while the jurors go into deliberation in Mitya's trial?
8. How does the defense attorney describe Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 13?
9. How does the judge react when Kirillovich begins quoting from the Bible loudly during Mitya's trial?
10. What happens to Mitya after the police and prosecutors read his statement in Part 3, Book 9, Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of Ivan's insanity. What might the author be saying about the implications of going insane?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of manipulation in the book. How do characters like Grushenka and Fyodor use manipulation to accomplish their goals?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony of the chapter titles in the book. What reason might the author have to impart such irony?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)