|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alyosha shocked to see that Katarina is in love with in the Epilogue?
2. Who is thrown out of the courtroom along with Katarina during Mitya's trial?
3. Who does the person who killed Fyodor say he did it for?
4. What does the jury give as their judgment in Mitya's trial?
5. How does Smerdyakov kill himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Katarina gives the judge her letter from Mitya during his trial?
2. What is the nature of the discussion between Ivan and Smerdyakov in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 6?
3. How do Pyotr and Madame Khokhalakov act towards each other when they first meet?
4. How are Fetyukovich's attempts to accuse Smerdyakov received in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 12?
5. How are the medical experts that are used in Mitya's trial described?
6. What happens to Mitya after the police and prosecutors read his statement in Part 3, Book 9, Chapter 9?
7. What does Alyosha discover about a secret between Mitya and Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 4?
8. What does Mitya agree to being guilty of at the beginning of his trial?
9. What is the nature of Ivan's testimony in Mitya's trial?
10. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of the inclusion of Zosima's teachings and recordings in the book. How might these recordings give spirituality and religion a voice?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the nature of Ivan's insanity. What might the author be saying about the implications of going insane?
Essay Topic 3
Alyosha's role as the representation of good is clear from the beginning to the end of the book. Part 1.) What reason does the author have for portraying Alyosha as the only representation of good? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about religious and spiritual people in relation to goodness based on his portrayal of Alyosha? Part 3.) Are there other characters present in the book that can be deemed good?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)