|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lise smash in the door when Alyosha leaves from visiting her in Book 11?
2. Who cries after Ilyusha's doctor leaves in Part 4, Book 10?
3. Who is not sympathetic to the prosecuting attorney when he objects the defense's final speech?
4. What does the prosecutor's speech appear to be to the peasants and Russians in the courtroom?
5. Who does Grushenka tell Alyosha that she believes Mitya has a secret with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What points of contention does the defense lawyer introduce in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 11?
2. What happens to Mitya after the police and prosecutors read his statement in Part 3, Book 9, Chapter 9?
3. How is Kolya described when he is first seen in Part 4, Book 10, Chapter 1?
4. What is the nature of the voices Ivan hears in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 9?
5. How do Pyotr and Madame Khokhalakov act towards each other when they first meet?
6. What is the nature of the discussion between Ivan and Smerdyakov in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 6?
7. Describe Mitya's plea to the court in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 14.
8. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
9. How does the judge react when Kirillovich begins quoting from the Bible loudly during Mitya's trial?
10. How are Fetyukovich's attempts to accuse Smerdyakov received in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character Fyodor in the book. In what way does the author set up this character to be hated and not sympathized?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Mitya. What about the nature of this character suggests that he will be the downfall of the Karamazov family?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of Ivan's insanity. What might the author be saying about the implications of going insane?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)