|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose story is told in Book 10, Chapter 1?
2. Who cries after Ilyusha's doctor leaves in Part 4, Book 10?
3. What is Madame Khokhlakov sick in bed with in Book 11?
4. Who goes to the witness stand in Mitya's trial after Alyosha?
5. What does Mitya ask the court for in Book 12, Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the audience react while the jurors go into deliberation in Mitya's trial?
2. What is the nature of the voices Ivan hears in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 9?
3. What does Alyosha discover about a secret between Mitya and Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 4?
4. How does Mitya react just after he is arrested for the death of his father?
5. How do Pyotr and Madame Khokhalakov act towards each other when they first meet?
6. How are the medical experts that are used in Mitya's trial described?
7. What happens to Mitya after the police and prosecutors read his statement in Part 3, Book 9, Chapter 9?
8. What is the nature of Ivan's testimony in Mitya's trial?
9. What points of contention does the defense lawyer introduce in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 11?
10. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alyosha's role as the representation of good is clear from the beginning to the end of the book. Part 1.) What reason does the author have for portraying Alyosha as the only representation of good? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about religious and spiritual people in relation to goodness based on his portrayal of Alyosha? Part 3.) Are there other characters present in the book that can be deemed good?
Essay Topic 2
One theme that is present throughout much of the book is the portrayal of friendship. Part 1.) What might the author be saying about the importance of having friendship in sibling relationships based on his portrayal of the Karamazov brothers? Part 2.) What is telling of the importance of friendship based on the author's portrayal of Kolya and the other boys?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes presented in the book is the dynamic of the father-son relationship. Part 1.) In what way is the father-son relationship portrayed abnormally in the book? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the importance of being a good father based on the outcome of Fyodor's fate in the book? Part 3.) What reason does the author have for portraying a more realistic and normal father-son dynamic in Ilyusha and the Captain?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)