|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mitya ask the court for in Book 12, Chapter 14?
2. What does the defense lawyer introduce as a new point of contention in his final speech in regards to Fyodor's empty envelope?
3. What does the defense attorney tell the jurors they are in charge of deciding in addition to the truth of Mitya's story?
4. Who does Ivan go to see when he returns from Moscow in Book 11, Chapter 7?
5. How many days since Mitya's trial had it been at the beginning of the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mitya agree to being guilty of at the beginning of his trial?
2. How does Mitya react when the police make him take off his clothes for examination?
3. What is the nature of Ivan's testimony in Mitya's trial?
4. How does the judge react when Kirillovich begins quoting from the Bible loudly during Mitya's trial?
5. Describe Mitya's plea to the court in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 14.
6. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
7. What does Alyosha discover about a secret between Mitya and Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 4?
8. How are Fetyukovich's attempts to accuse Smerdyakov received in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 12?
9. How does the defense attorney describe Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 13?
10. What is the nature of the discussion between Ivan and Smerdyakov in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Alyosha and Mitya. What about the differences in these characters suggest who the protagonist will be?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the effects Smerdyakov's suicide had on the characters. What is the possibility of Mitya being exonerated for his father's murder had Smerdyakov not committed suicide?
Essay Topic 3
One theme that is present throughout much of the book is the portrayal of friendship. Part 1.) What might the author be saying about the importance of having friendship in sibling relationships based on his portrayal of the Karamazov brothers? Part 2.) What is telling of the importance of friendship based on the author's portrayal of Kolya and the other boys?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)