|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the jury give as their judgment in Mitya's trial?
2. Whose oration does the audience applaud at the end of Mitya's trial?
3. What does Ivan present from his pocket during his testimony in Mitya's trial?
4. What does Lise say she is glad about seeing when Alyosha visits her in Book 11?
5. What does Mitya claim he did not hit his father over the head with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Fetyukovich's attempts to accuse Smerdyakov received in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 12?
2. How are the medical experts that are used in Mitya's trial described?
3. Describe Mitya's plea to the court in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 14.
4. What happens to Mitya after the police and prosecutors read his statement in Part 3, Book 9, Chapter 9?
5. What does Alyosha discover about a secret between Mitya and Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 4?
6. What does Mitya agree to being guilty of at the beginning of his trial?
7. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
8. How is Alyosha and Kolya's first interaction described?
9. How does Mitya react just after he is arrested for the death of his father?
10. What is the nature of Alyosha and Grushenka's discussion in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alyosha's role as the representation of good is clear from the beginning to the end of the book. Part 1.) What reason does the author have for portraying Alyosha as the only representation of good? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about religious and spiritual people in relation to goodness based on his portrayal of Alyosha? Part 3.) Are there other characters present in the book that can be deemed good?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Grushenka in the book. What motivated this character to exude selfishness and a constant need for attention?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the controversy surrounding the presentation of Zosima's dead body. What about the description of Zosima's body is telling of the religious traditions of the time period?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)