|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Kolya take his dog to go meet that was one of the boys throwing rocks at another boy?
2. Who becomes loud and angry and is warned by the judge to stay in bounds in Book 12, Chapter 14?
3. Who does Alyosha go to meet in at the beginning of the Epilogue?
4. What does the prosecutor begin his final speech talking about in Mitya's trial?
5. Who is Alyosha planning to meet with to discuss Mitya's planned escape at the beginning of the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mitya react when the police make him take off his clothes for examination?
2. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
3. What happens when Katarina gives the judge her letter from Mitya during his trial?
4. How is Grushenka's testimony in Mitya's trial described?
5. How is Lise described in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 3?
6. How does Mitya react just after he is arrested for the death of his father?
7. What does Alyosha discover about a secret between Mitya and Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 4?
8. What is the nature of the discussion between Ivan and Smerdyakov in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 6?
9. How are the medical experts that are used in Mitya's trial described?
10. How do Pyotr and Madame Khokhalakov act towards each other when they first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of Ivan's insanity. What might the author be saying about the implications of going insane?
Essay Topic 2
Alyosha's role as the representation of good is clear from the beginning to the end of the book. Part 1.) What reason does the author have for portraying Alyosha as the only representation of good? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about religious and spiritual people in relation to goodness based on his portrayal of Alyosha? Part 3.) Are there other characters present in the book that can be deemed good?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character, Smerdyakov. In what ways did the author set up Smerdyakov as an unstable character?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)