|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the defense attorney suggest Fyodor was not in terms of a father during his speech in Mitya's trial?
2. Where is Mitya planning on escaping to after his trial?
3. Where do police determine that Mitya should be taken back to and the investigation continued?
4. What is the name of the local district commissioner of Police that Pyotr visits?
5. For how long does Mitya say he had been carrying around the money he received from Katarina during his interrogation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the defense attorney describe Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 13?
2. What is the nature of Alyosha and Grushenka's discussion in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 1?
3. What does Alyosha discover about a secret between Mitya and Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 4?
4. How does Mitya react just after he is arrested for the death of his father?
5. How does the audience react while the jurors go into deliberation in Mitya's trial?
6. What is the nature of the discussion between Ivan and Smerdyakov in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 6?
7. What points of contention does the defense lawyer introduce in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 11?
8. What does Smerdyakov confess to Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 8?
9. How is Kolya described when he is first seen in Part 4, Book 10, Chapter 1?
10. How is Grushenka's testimony in Mitya's trial described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Karamazov brothers with Ilyusha's family. What might the author be saying about the nature of the Karamazov family by making a direct comparison with Ilyusha's family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the effects Smerdyakov's suicide had on the characters. What is the possibility of Mitya being exonerated for his father's murder had Smerdyakov not committed suicide?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character, Smerdyakov. In what ways did the author set up Smerdyakov as an unstable character?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)