|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the defense attorney suggest Fyodor was not in terms of a father during his speech in Mitya's trial?
2. Who does the defense lawyer plead with the jury that they consider as the murderer during his final speech in Mitya's trial?
3. Who is said to be a known suitor of Madame Khokhlakov?
4. Who does Katarina say she has a newfound love for in Book 12, Chapter 6?
5. What does Kirillovich begin quoting from during Mitya's trial in Book 12, Chapter 14?
Essay Topic 1
Alyosha's role as the representation of good is clear from the beginning to the end of the book. Part 1.) What reason does the author have for portraying Alyosha as the only representation of good? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about religious and spiritual people in relation to goodness based on his portrayal of Alyosha? Part 3.) Are there other characters present in the book that can be deemed good?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Karamazov brothers with Ilyusha's family. What might the author be saying about the nature of the Karamazov family by making a direct comparison with Ilyusha's family?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of brotherhood is an important theme presented by the author. Part 1.) What is telling of the author's views on brotherhood through the representation of Alyosha in the book? Part 2.) What lessons are learned about brotherhood based on the interactions between Kolya and the other boys? Part 3.) What is telling of the importance of brotherhood in the book based on Alyosha's speech to the group of boys at the end?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)