|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a town doctor say he remembers buying Mitya when he was a little boy during the trial?
2. What does the prosecutor begin his final speech talking about in Mitya's trial?
3. Who does Grushenka tell Alyosha that she believes Mitya has a secret with?
4. What does Lise smash in the door when Alyosha leaves from visiting her in Book 11?
5. Who does the person who killed Fyodor say he did it for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Fetyukovich's attempts to accuse Smerdyakov received in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 12?
2. How do Pyotr and Madame Khokhalakov act towards each other when they first meet?
3. How is Kolya described when he is first seen in Part 4, Book 10, Chapter 1?
4. How does Mitya react when the police make him take off his clothes for examination?
5. How does the audience react while the jurors go into deliberation in Mitya's trial?
6. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
7. What does Smerdyakov confess to Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 8?
8. How does the defense attorney describe Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 13?
9. What is the nature of Ivan's testimony in Mitya's trial?
10. How is Lise described in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of Ivan's insanity. What might the author be saying about the implications of going insane?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Grushenka in the book. What motivated this character to exude selfishness and a constant need for attention?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of Mitya's use of violence. What does Mitya's use of violence say about the nature of his character and his need for control?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)