|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Kolya's dog?
2. Who searches for Mitya at the beginning of Book 9, Chapter 1?
3. Who does the prosecutor bring up the possibility of killing Fyodor, but dismisses it because of medical reasons?
4. Where is Mitya planning on escaping to after his trial?
5. How does the author describe Grushenka as being at the beginning of Book 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the voices Ivan hears in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 9?
2. How are Fetyukovich's attempts to accuse Smerdyakov received in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 12?
3. What is the nature of Ivan's testimony in Mitya's trial?
4. How are the medical experts that are used in Mitya's trial described?
5. What is the nature of the discussion between Ivan and Smerdyakov in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 6?
6. How is Kolya described when he is first seen in Part 4, Book 10, Chapter 1?
7. What is the nature of Alyosha and Grushenka's discussion in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 1?
8. How does the defense attorney describe Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 13?
9. What does Smerdyakov confess to Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 8?
10. How do Pyotr and Madame Khokhalakov act towards each other when they first meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the controversy surrounding the presentation of Zosima's dead body. What about the description of Zosima's body is telling of the religious traditions of the time period?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Mitya. What about the nature of this character suggests that he will be the downfall of the Karamazov family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of Russian society in the book. What is the author saying about Russian society based on the speeches given during Mitya's trial?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)