|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose story is told in Book 10, Chapter 1?
2. Who confesses to Ivan that he killed Fyodor?
3. Who does Mitya believe he is being arrested for the murder of in Part 3?
4. Whose oration does the audience applaud at the end of Mitya's trial?
5. What is the name of the local district commissioner of Police that Pyotr visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Alyosha and Grushenka's discussion in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 1?
2. What happens when Katarina gives the judge her letter from Mitya during his trial?
3. How are Fetyukovich's attempts to accuse Smerdyakov received in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 12?
4. What does Alyosha discover about a secret between Mitya and Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 4?
5. Describe Mitya's plea to the court in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 14.
6. What does Mitya agree to being guilty of at the beginning of his trial?
7. What is the nature of the discussion between Ivan and Smerdyakov in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 6?
8. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
9. What does Smerdyakov confess to Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 8?
10. How is Alyosha and Kolya's first interaction described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of brotherhood is an important theme presented by the author. Part 1.) What is telling of the author's views on brotherhood through the representation of Alyosha in the book? Part 2.) What lessons are learned about brotherhood based on the interactions between Kolya and the other boys? Part 3.) What is telling of the importance of brotherhood in the book based on Alyosha's speech to the group of boys at the end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the effects Smerdyakov's suicide had on the characters. What is the possibility of Mitya being exonerated for his father's murder had Smerdyakov not committed suicide?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of Ivan's insanity. What might the author be saying about the implications of going insane?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)