|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much do police estimate Mitya spent in Mokroye?
2. Whose oration does the audience applaud at the end of Mitya's trial?
3. How many days since Mitya's trial had it been at the beginning of the Epilogue?
4. What does Lise tell Alyosha that she feels when she reads horrible things?
5. Who is thrown out of the courtroom along with Katarina during Mitya's trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Alyosha and Kolya's first interaction described?
2. What happens when Katarina gives the judge her letter from Mitya during his trial?
3. How are Fetyukovich's attempts to accuse Smerdyakov received in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 12?
4. How do Pyotr and Madame Khokhalakov act towards each other when they first meet?
5. What is the nature of Ivan's testimony in Mitya's trial?
6. Describe Mitya's plea to the court in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 14.
7. What is the nature of Alyosha and Grushenka's discussion in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 1?
8. How is Grushenka's testimony in Mitya's trial described?
9. What happens to Mitya after the police and prosecutors read his statement in Part 3, Book 9, Chapter 9?
10. How does the judge react when Kirillovich begins quoting from the Bible loudly during Mitya's trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character Mitya. What about the nature of this character suggests that he will be the downfall of the Karamazov family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the effects Smerdyakov's suicide had on the characters. What is the possibility of Mitya being exonerated for his father's murder had Smerdyakov not committed suicide?
Essay Topic 3
One theme that is present throughout much of the book is the portrayal of friendship. Part 1.) What might the author be saying about the importance of having friendship in sibling relationships based on his portrayal of the Karamazov brothers? Part 2.) What is telling of the importance of friendship based on the author's portrayal of Kolya and the other boys?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)