|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Katarina say Mitya had loaned her family years ago during his trial?
2. Who is the first person called to testify from Mitya's family during his trial?
3. What does Ivan begin raving about after hearing voices at the end of Book 11?
4. What is Madame Khokhlakov sick in bed with in Book 11?
5. Whose story is told in Book 10, Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Grushenka's testimony in Mitya's trial described?
2. How do Pyotr and Madame Khokhalakov act towards each other when they first meet?
3. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
4. What is the nature of Alyosha and Grushenka's discussion in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 1?
5. How does Mitya react when the police make him take off his clothes for examination?
6. How does Mitya react just after he is arrested for the death of his father?
7. How are Fetyukovich's attempts to accuse Smerdyakov received in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 12?
8. How does the audience react while the jurors go into deliberation in Mitya's trial?
9. What does Mitya agree to being guilty of at the beginning of his trial?
10. What is the nature of Ivan's testimony in Mitya's trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of manipulation in the book. How do characters like Grushenka and Fyodor use manipulation to accomplish their goals?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the controversy surrounding the presentation of Zosima's dead body. What about the description of Zosima's body is telling of the religious traditions of the time period?
Essay Topic 3
Alyosha's role as the representation of good is clear from the beginning to the end of the book. Part 1.) What reason does the author have for portraying Alyosha as the only representation of good? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about religious and spiritual people in relation to goodness based on his portrayal of Alyosha? Part 3.) Are there other characters present in the book that can be deemed good?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)