|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lise say she is glad about seeing when Alyosha visits her in Book 11?
2. Who does Alyosha go to meet in at the beginning of the Epilogue?
3. Who does Katarina show Alyosha a letter from in Book 11, Chapter 7?
4. What gift does Kolya give to Illyusha when he visits him in Part 4?
5. What does the prosecutor begin his final speech talking about in Mitya's trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
2. What is the nature of Ivan's testimony in Mitya's trial?
3. How does Mitya react when the police make him take off his clothes for examination?
4. How is Grushenka's testimony in Mitya's trial described?
5. What is the nature of Alyosha and Grushenka's discussion in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 1?
6. How is Alyosha and Kolya's first interaction described?
7. How is Kolya described when he is first seen in Part 4, Book 10, Chapter 1?
8. How are Fetyukovich's attempts to accuse Smerdyakov received in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 12?
9. How do Pyotr and Madame Khokhalakov act towards each other when they first meet?
10. How does the judge react when Kirillovich begins quoting from the Bible loudly during Mitya's trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effects Smerdyakov's suicide had on the characters. What is the possibility of Mitya being exonerated for his father's murder had Smerdyakov not committed suicide?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character, Smerdyakov. In what ways did the author set up Smerdyakov as an unstable character?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character Grushenka in the book. What motivated this character to exude selfishness and a constant need for attention?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)