|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kirillovich begin quoting from during Mitya's trial in Book 12, Chapter 14?
2. Who does Alyosha go to meet in at the beginning of the Epilogue?
3. Who does Kolya take his dog to go meet that was one of the boys throwing rocks at another boy?
4. Who does Ivan go to see when he returns from Moscow in Book 11, Chapter 7?
5. Who tries to create doubt in the minds of the jurors in Book 12, Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the judge react when Kirillovich begins quoting from the Bible loudly during Mitya's trial?
2. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
3. What is the nature of Ivan's testimony in Mitya's trial?
4. How does Mitya react just after he is arrested for the death of his father?
5. What does Alyosha discover about a secret between Mitya and Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 4?
6. How is Grushenka's testimony in Mitya's trial described?
7. How is Kolya described when he is first seen in Part 4, Book 10, Chapter 1?
8. How does Mitya react when the police make him take off his clothes for examination?
9. How is Lise described in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 3?
10. How are Fetyukovich's attempts to accuse Smerdyakov received in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character Mitya. What about the nature of this character suggests that he will be the downfall of the Karamazov family?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the controversy surrounding the presentation of Zosima's dead body. What about the description of Zosima's body is telling of the religious traditions of the time period?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of brotherhood is an important theme presented by the author. Part 1.) What is telling of the author's views on brotherhood through the representation of Alyosha in the book? Part 2.) What lessons are learned about brotherhood based on the interactions between Kolya and the other boys? Part 3.) What is telling of the importance of brotherhood in the book based on Alyosha's speech to the group of boys at the end?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)