Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins to happen with the Elder's dead body much sooner than normal?
2. What does Smerdyakov suffer in Book 5, Chapter 7?
3. What does Fyodor make the child that he has with Lizaveta?
4. How much money does Katarina give to Alyosha to offer to a man whom Mitya had hurt?
5. How does the man that Mitya visits in Book 8, Chapter 2 appear to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the defense attorney describe Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 13?
2. What points of contention does the defense lawyer introduce in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 11?
3. What does Alyosha discover about a secret between Mitya and Ivan in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 4?
4. How do Alyosha and the group of boys go back to Illyusha's house at the end of the book?
5. What does Fyodor say he is afraid of regarding Grushenka in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 2?
6. What does Katarina ask Alyosha to do with 200 rubles in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 5?
7. How is Zosima's body described after he has died?
8. What does Grushenka's Polish lover say to her in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 7?
9. How does Fyodor react when he learns Alyosha wishes to enter the monastery?
10. What is the nature of the jury's verdict in Mitya's trial?
The theme of brotherhood is an important theme presented by the author. Part 1.) What is telling of the author's views on brotherhood through the representation of Alyosha in the book? Part 2.) What lessons are learned about brotherhood based on the interactions between Kolya and the other boys? Part 3.) What is telling of the importance of brotherhood in the book based on Alyosha's speech to the group of boys at the end?
One theme that is present throughout much of the book is the portrayal of friendship. Part 1.) What might the author be saying about the importance of having friendship in sibling relationships based on his portrayal of the Karamazov brothers? Part 2.) What is telling of the importance of friendship based on the author's portrayal of Kolya and the other boys?
Discuss the theme of man versus God theme. In what way does the author set up this theme with the representation of Ivan?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)