|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fyodor begin a life of after the death of his last wife?
2. Where does Mitya go after Alyosha tells him of Katarina and Grushenka's interactions in Book 3, Chapter 10?
3. Who is Mitya accused of murdering in Part 3?
4. What did Ivan write an article about that gains wide acceptance and makes him famous?
5. What do one of Katarina's maids give to Alyosha in Book 3, Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mitya's actions at the beginning of Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 3?
2. How does Fyodor react when he learns Alyosha wishes to enter the monastery?
3. What is the nature of Alyosha's vision that he has while at Zosima's coffin?
4. How is Ivan's mental capacity described in Part 1, Book 1, Chapter 3?
5. How does Fyodor act towards Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
6. How are Katarina and Grushenka's actions towards each other described in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 10?
7. What does Mitya do when Alyosha tells him of Grushenka's rudeness towards Katarina in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 11?
8. Why does Mitya burst into the house in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 9?
9. What is Alyosha deeply disturbed by regarding his meeting with Zosima in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 1?
10. What is the nature of Fyodor's accusations at the end of Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of manipulation in the book. How do characters like Grushenka and Fyodor use manipulation to accomplish their goals?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of Russian society in the book. What is the author saying about Russian society based on the speeches given during Mitya's trial?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony of the chapter titles in the book. What reason might the author have to impart such irony?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)