|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who peeks through a door and looks at Alyosha in Book 4, Chapter 4?
2. What Biblical miracle does Alyosha envision at Zosima's coffin?
3. What profession does Fyodor hold?
4. What do Ivan and Fyodor become after Ivan comes home to confront him?
5. Where do Fyodor and his friends find the insane woman who roamed about town in Book 3, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mitya do when Alyosha tells him of Grushenka's rudeness towards Katarina in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 11?
2. What is the nature of the poem Ivan says in Part 2, Book 5, Chapter 5?
3. What does Grushenka's Polish lover say to her in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 7?
4. What does Katarina ask Alyosha to do with 200 rubles in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 5?
5. Why does Mitya burst into the house in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 9?
6. How is Ivan's mental capacity described in Part 1, Book 1, Chapter 3?
7. How is Zosima's body described after he has died?
8. What does Captain Sneigiryov and Alyosha talk about regarding the Captain's son in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 6?
9. What happened to the child Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
10. What is the nature of Alyosha's vision that he has while at Zosima's coffin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the controversy surrounding the presentation of Zosima's dead body. What about the description of Zosima's body is telling of the religious traditions of the time period?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the irony of the chapter titles in the book. What reason might the author have to impart such irony?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of Mitya's use of violence. What does Mitya's use of violence say about the nature of his character and his need for control?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)