|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mitya spout joyously in Book 3, Chapter 3?
2. What happens to the son of the man that Mitya hurt in a bar when he is at school?
3. What does Zosima say is the only thing that prevents someone from committing a crime in Book 2, Chapter 5?
4. What is the name of Alyosha's guardian?
5. What did Mitya do to the man that he hurt in the bar that Katarina is giving money to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alyosha witness between a group of boys in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 3?
2. Describe Mitya's actions at the beginning of Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 3?
3. What does Fyodor say he is afraid of regarding Grushenka in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 2?
4. How does Fyodor react when he learns Alyosha wishes to enter the monastery?
5. Why does Mitya go to the local grocers in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 5?
6. How are Katarina and Grushenka's actions towards each other described in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 10?
7. How does Zosima appear when Alyosha visits him in Part 2, Book 6, Chapter 1?
8. What does Captain Sneigiryov and Alyosha talk about regarding the Captain's son in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 6?
9. How is Zosima's body described after he has died?
10. What does Rakitin tell Alyosha when he runs into him in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of manipulation in the book. How do characters like Grushenka and Fyodor use manipulation to accomplish their goals?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Karamazov brothers with Ilyusha's family. What might the author be saying about the nature of the Karamazov family by making a direct comparison with Ilyusha's family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony of the chapter titles in the book. What reason might the author have to impart such irony?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)