|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl that Smerdyakov plays his instrument for?
2. What do one of Katarina's maids give to Alyosha in Book 3, Chapter 10?
3. What profession does Fyodor hold?
4. Who is also in love with Grushenka in the Karamazov family?
5. How does the man that Mitya hurt in the bar react at first after Alyosha offers him some money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Zosima's body described after he has died?
2. What does Grushenka's Polish lover say to her in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 7?
3. What does Captain Sneigiryov and Alyosha talk about regarding the Captain's son in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 6?
4. What does Mitya do when Alyosha tells him of Grushenka's rudeness towards Katarina in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 11?
5. How are Fyodor's actions described after the death of his second wife at the beginning of the book?
6. Why does Mitya burst into the house in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 9?
7. What is the nature of Alyosha's vision that he has while at Zosima's coffin?
8. What is Alyosha deeply disturbed by regarding his meeting with Zosima in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 1?
9. How does Fyodor act towards Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
10. What happened to the child Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes presented in the book is the dynamic of the father-son relationship. Part 1.) In what way is the father-son relationship portrayed abnormally in the book? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the importance of being a good father based on the outcome of Fyodor's fate in the book? Part 3.) What reason does the author have for portraying a more realistic and normal father-son dynamic in Ilyusha and the Captain?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Fyodor in the book. In what way does the author set up this character to be hated and not sympathized?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of brotherhood is an important theme presented by the author. Part 1.) What is telling of the author's views on brotherhood through the representation of Alyosha in the book? Part 2.) What lessons are learned about brotherhood based on the interactions between Kolya and the other boys? Part 3.) What is telling of the importance of brotherhood in the book based on Alyosha's speech to the group of boys at the end?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)