|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man Mitya hurt in a bar overcome by that causes him to refuse the money offered to him by Alyosha?
2. After how many days after having his vision at Zosima's coffin does Alyosha leave the monastery?
3. What is the name of Mitya's fiancé that he is abandoning for another woman?
4. Who does Alyosha leave his father looking for at the beginning of Book 4, Chapter 3?
5. What does Fyodor begin a life of after the death of his last wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mitya do when Alyosha tells him of Grushenka's rudeness towards Katarina in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 11?
2. What is the nature of Alyosha and Grushenka's discussion in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 1?
3. Why does the court refute the possibility of Smerdyakov killing Fyodor in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 9?
4. What does Fyodor say he is afraid of regarding Grushenka in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 2?
5. Why does Mitya go to the local grocers in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 5?
6. How are the medical experts that are used in Mitya's trial described?
7. What is the nature of Alyosha's vision that he has while at Zosima's coffin?
8. What does Captain Sneigiryov and Alyosha talk about regarding the Captain's son in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 6?
9. How is Zosima's body described after he has died?
10. What does Alyosha address the boys about in the Epilogue, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes presented in the book is the dynamic of the father-son relationship. Part 1.) In what way is the father-son relationship portrayed abnormally in the book? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the importance of being a good father based on the outcome of Fyodor's fate in the book? Part 3.) What reason does the author have for portraying a more realistic and normal father-son dynamic in Ilyusha and the Captain?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the irony of the chapter titles in the book. What reason might the author have to impart such irony?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the controversy surrounding the presentation of Zosima's dead body. What about the description of Zosima's body is telling of the religious traditions of the time period?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)