|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the person who is an opponent of Zosima, which makes the other monks tend to believe him more?
2. How many sons does Fyodor have from his marriages?
3. What is the name of Fyodor's son that he neglected shamefully?
4. Who is waiting to have an audience with Zosima at the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 3?
5. What does the boy that had rocks thrown at him by a group of boys do to Alyosha after he stops them from beating him up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zosima appear when Alyosha visits him in Part 2, Book 6, Chapter 1?
2. What does Alyosha witness between a group of boys in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 3?
3. What is Alyosha deeply disturbed by regarding his meeting with Zosima in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 1?
4. How is Zosima's body described after he has died?
5. How is Captain Sneigiryov described after Ilyusha's funeral?
6. How is Grushenka's testimony in Mitya's trial described?
7. How is Kolya described when he is first seen in Part 4, Book 10, Chapter 1?
8. What points of contention does the defense lawyer introduce in Part 4, Book 12, Chapter 11?
9. How does the judge react when Kirillovich begins quoting from the Bible loudly during Mitya's trial?
10. What is the nature of Alyosha and Grushenka's discussion in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of manipulation in the book. How do characters like Grushenka and Fyodor use manipulation to accomplish their goals?
Essay Topic 2
Alyosha's role as the representation of good is clear from the beginning to the end of the book. Part 1.) What reason does the author have for portraying Alyosha as the only representation of good? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about religious and spiritual people in relation to goodness based on his portrayal of Alyosha? Part 3.) Are there other characters present in the book that can be deemed good?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of Mitya's use of violence. What does Mitya's use of violence say about the nature of his character and his need for control?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)