|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Grushenka's maid?
2. What is the name of the woman who is insane and roamed about town in the book?
3. Whose story is told in Book 3, Chapter 6?
4. What is the first name of the father of the Karamazov family?
5. What does Mitya tell Alyosha that he did to Katarina's family to get her to marry him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Captain Sneigiryov and Alyosha talk about regarding the Captain's son in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 6?
2. Why does Mitya go to the local grocers in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 5?
3. What does Katarina ask Alyosha to do with 200 rubles in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 5?
4. What happened to the child Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
5. What is Alyosha deeply disturbed by regarding his meeting with Zosima in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 1?
6. How does Fyodor act while at the monastery to make himself endearing in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 2?
7. How does Fyodor react when he learns Alyosha wishes to enter the monastery?
8. What does Mitya do with his dueling pistols in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 4?
9. Describe Mitya's actions at the beginning of Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 3?
10. Why does Mitya burst into the house in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alyosha's role as the representation of good is clear from the beginning to the end of the book. Part 1.) What reason does the author have for portraying Alyosha as the only representation of good? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about religious and spiritual people in relation to goodness based on his portrayal of Alyosha? Part 3.) Are there other characters present in the book that can be deemed good?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of brotherhood is an important theme presented by the author. Part 1.) What is telling of the author's views on brotherhood through the representation of Alyosha in the book? Part 2.) What lessons are learned about brotherhood based on the interactions between Kolya and the other boys? Part 3.) What is telling of the importance of brotherhood in the book based on Alyosha's speech to the group of boys at the end?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the inclusion of Zosima's teachings and recordings in the book. How might these recordings give spirituality and religion a voice?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)