|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fyodor make wild accusations against at the end of Book 2, Chapter 8?
2. Who is waiting to have an audience with Zosima at the beginning of Book 2, Chapter 3?
3. What is the name of the bar that Alyosha finds Mitya and Ivan meeting at in Part 2?
4. Who does Fyodor ask about when he awakes in Book 3, Chapter 9?
5. How does the man that Mitya hurt in the bar react at first after Alyosha offers him some money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mitya do with his dueling pistols in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 4?
2. What is the nature of Ivan and Smerdyakov's conversation in Part 2, Book 5, Chapter 6?
3. What happened to the child Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
4. What does Grushenka's Polish lover say to her in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 7?
5. How is Smerdyakov described in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 6?
6. What is the nature of Alyosha's vision that he has while at Zosima's coffin?
7. How does Zosima appear when Alyosha visits him in Part 2, Book 6, Chapter 1?
8. How does Mitya act when he arrives to see Grushenka at a tavern in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 7?
9. What is Alyosha deeply disturbed by regarding his meeting with Zosima in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 1?
10. How is Ivan's mental capacity described in Part 1, Book 1, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character, Smerdyakov. In what ways did the author set up Smerdyakov as an unstable character?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Alyosha and Mitya. What about the differences in these characters suggest who the protagonist will be?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of Ivan's insanity. What might the author be saying about the implications of going insane?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)