|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alyosha say he wishes would marry Katarina in Book 3, Chapter 5?
2. What is the name of Mitya's fiancé that he is abandoning for another woman?
3. Where does Mitya go after Alyosha tells him of Katarina and Grushenka's interactions in Book 3, Chapter 10?
4. Who does Alyosha leave his father looking for at the beginning of Book 4, Chapter 3?
5. Who do Madame Khokhlakov and her daughter reveal they have come to visit in Book 2, Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Alyosha and Grushenka's discussion in Part 4, Book 11, Chapter 1?
2. How are the medical experts that are used in Mitya's trial described?
3. How does Mitya react when the police make him take off his clothes for examination?
4. What is Alyosha deeply disturbed by regarding his meeting with Zosima in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 1?
5. What does Captain Sneigiryov and Alyosha talk about regarding the Captain's son in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 6?
6. How are Fyodor's actions described after the death of his second wife at the beginning of the book?
7. What happened to the child Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
8. What do Kolya and the other group of boys do in the Epilogue, Chapter 3?
9. What is the nature of the poem Ivan says in Part 2, Book 5, Chapter 5?
10. What does Katarina ask Alyosha to do with 200 rubles in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 5?
Essay Topic 1
The role of religion is one that is very pronounced throughout much of the book. Part 1.) How does Alysosha represent religious values in the book? Part 2.) What about the author's depiction of Zosima brings religion to the forefront in the book? Part 3.) In what way could you argue that the author presented his own voice about religion by including Zosima's teachings and speeches in the book?
Essay Topic 2
One theme that is present throughout much of the book is the portrayal of friendship. Part 1.) What might the author be saying about the importance of having friendship in sibling relationships based on his portrayal of the Karamazov brothers? Part 2.) What is telling of the importance of friendship based on the author's portrayal of Kolya and the other boys?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony of the chapter titles in the book. What reason might the author have to impart such irony?
This section contains 1,298 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)