|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mitya believe has come and hidden in Fyodor's home in Book 3, Chapter 8?
2. Who do Madame Khokhlakov and her daughter reveal they have come to visit in Book 2, Chapter 4?
3. Who does Mitya go to see to convince to give him some money in Book 8, Chapter 1?
4. Whose house does Alyosha go to at the beginning of Book 4, Chapter 4?
5. What is the neighborhood not able to tell about Smerdyakov based on his demeanor and appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zosima appear when Alyosha visits him in Part 2, Book 6, Chapter 1?
2. What is Alyosha deeply disturbed by regarding his meeting with Zosima in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 1?
3. What does Mitya confess he did with the money Katarina gave to him in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 5?
4. How does Fyodor react when he learns Alyosha wishes to enter the monastery?
5. What does Zosima say in regards to the separation of church and state in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 5?
6. What is the nature of Ivan and Smerdyakov's conversation in Part 2, Book 5, Chapter 6?
7. Describe Mitya's actions at the beginning of Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 3?
8. What does Fyodor say he is afraid of regarding Grushenka in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 2?
9. What happened to the child Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
10. How are Fyodor's actions described after the death of his second wife at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character, Smerdyakov. In what ways did the author set up Smerdyakov as an unstable character?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the nature of Mitya's use of violence. What does Mitya's use of violence say about the nature of his character and his need for control?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the inclusion of Zosima's teachings and recordings in the book. How might these recordings give spirituality and religion a voice?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)