|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins to happen with the Elder's dead body much sooner than normal?
2. What is the name of the baby Lizaveta and Fyodor have?
3. Who stirs from his bed and realizes the garden gate to Fyodor's house is open in Part 3?
4. Whose lap does Grushenka sit on in Book 7, Chapter 2?
5. What do the monks speak of involving Madame Khokhlakov's daughter and children at the beginning of Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the poem Ivan says in Part 2, Book 5, Chapter 5?
2. What does Mitya do with his dueling pistols in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 4?
3. What does Rakitin tell Alyosha when he runs into him in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 7?
4. Why does Mitya go to the local grocers in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 5?
5. How does Mitya act when he arrives to see Grushenka at a tavern in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 7?
6. What is Alyosha deeply disturbed by regarding his meeting with Zosima in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 1?
7. How does Captain Sneigiryov react when Alyosha gives him the 200 rubles from Katarina?
8. What does Captain Sneigiryov and Alyosha talk about regarding the Captain's son in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 6?
9. How is Zosima's body described after he has died?
10. What does Fyodor say he is afraid of regarding Grushenka in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of brotherhood is an important theme presented by the author. Part 1.) What is telling of the author's views on brotherhood through the representation of Alyosha in the book? Part 2.) What lessons are learned about brotherhood based on the interactions between Kolya and the other boys? Part 3.) What is telling of the importance of brotherhood in the book based on Alyosha's speech to the group of boys at the end?
Essay Topic 2
Alyosha's role as the representation of good is clear from the beginning to the end of the book. Part 1.) What reason does the author have for portraying Alyosha as the only representation of good? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about religious and spiritual people in relation to goodness based on his portrayal of Alyosha? Part 3.) Are there other characters present in the book that can be deemed good?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the controversy surrounding the presentation of Zosima's dead body. What about the description of Zosima's body is telling of the religious traditions of the time period?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)