|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Fyodor ask about when he awakes in Book 3, Chapter 9?
2. What is the neighborhood not able to tell about Smerdyakov based on his demeanor and appearance?
3. What is the name of the girl that Smerdyakov plays his instrument for?
4. What happens to the son of the man that Mitya hurt in a bar when he is at school?
5. How does the man that Mitya hurt in the bar react at first after Alyosha offers him some money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alyosha witness between a group of boys in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 3?
2. What does Fyodor say he is afraid of regarding Grushenka in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 2?
3. What does Mitya do with his dueling pistols in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 4?
4. What is the nature of Fyodor's accusations at the end of Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 8?
5. How is Ivan's mental capacity described in Part 1, Book 1, Chapter 3?
6. What does Mitya do when Alyosha tells him of Grushenka's rudeness towards Katarina in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 11?
7. What does Captain Sneigiryov and Alyosha talk about regarding the Captain's son in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 6?
8. What does Grushenka's Polish lover say to her in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 7?
9. What does Rakitin tell Alyosha when he runs into him in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 7?
10. How does Mitya act when he arrives to see Grushenka at a tavern in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of Mitya's use of violence. What does Mitya's use of violence say about the nature of his character and his need for control?
Essay Topic 2
Alyosha's role as the representation of good is clear from the beginning to the end of the book. Part 1.) What reason does the author have for portraying Alyosha as the only representation of good? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about religious and spiritual people in relation to goodness based on his portrayal of Alyosha? Part 3.) Are there other characters present in the book that can be deemed good?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Karamazov brothers with Ilyusha's family. What might the author be saying about the nature of the Karamazov family by making a direct comparison with Ilyusha's family?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)