|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What profession does Fyodor hold?
2. Who is also in love with Grushenka in the Karamazov family?
3. What does Mitya say the Karamazov brothers share that creates storm within their souls?
4. What do Katarina and Grushenka act like when Alyosha visits them in Part 1?
5. What Biblical miracle does Alyosha envision at Zosima's coffin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Alyosha's vision that he has while at Zosima's coffin?
2. What is the nature of the poem Ivan says in Part 2, Book 5, Chapter 5?
3. Describe Mitya's actions at the beginning of Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 3?
4. Why does Mitya go to the local grocers in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 5?
5. How does Fyodor act towards Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
6. How are Katarina and Grushenka's actions towards each other described in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 10?
7. What does Grushenka's Polish lover say to her in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 7?
8. What does Mitya do with his dueling pistols in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 4?
9. How does Fyodor react when he learns Alyosha wishes to enter the monastery?
10. What happened to the child Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme that is present throughout much of the book is the portrayal of friendship. Part 1.) What might the author be saying about the importance of having friendship in sibling relationships based on his portrayal of the Karamazov brothers? Part 2.) What is telling of the importance of friendship based on the author's portrayal of Kolya and the other boys?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Fyodor in the book. In what way does the author set up this character to be hated and not sympathized?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character, Smerdyakov. In what ways did the author set up Smerdyakov as an unstable character?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)