|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy that had rocks thrown at him by a group of boys do to Alyosha after he stops them from beating him up?
2. Who is said to be pursuing Mitya's fiancee now that he has begun fancying someone else?
3. Who is also in love with Grushenka in the Karamazov family?
4. What does Madame Khokhlakov tell Mitya that she has in mind for him to do that will make him a great man in Part 3?
5. What did Mitya do to the man that he hurt in the bar that Katarina is giving money to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fyodor act towards Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
2. What is the nature of Fyodor's accusations at the end of Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 8?
3. What does Mitya confess he did with the money Katarina gave to him in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 5?
4. How does Captain Sneigiryov react when Alyosha gives him the 200 rubles from Katarina?
5. How does Fyodor act while at the monastery to make himself endearing in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 2?
6. How is Zosima's body described after he has died?
7. What is the nature of Ivan and Smerdyakov's conversation in Part 2, Book 5, Chapter 6?
8. How does Zosima appear when Alyosha visits him in Part 2, Book 6, Chapter 1?
9. What is the nature of the poem Ivan says in Part 2, Book 5, Chapter 5?
10. What is the nature of Alyosha's vision that he has while at Zosima's coffin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Alyosha and Mitya. What about the differences in these characters suggest who the protagonist will be?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the controversy surrounding the presentation of Zosima's dead body. What about the description of Zosima's body is telling of the religious traditions of the time period?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the character, Smerdyakov. In what ways did the author set up Smerdyakov as an unstable character?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)