|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the son of the man that Mitya hurt in a bar when he is at school?
2. What does Mitya spout joyously in Book 3, Chapter 3?
3. What Biblical miracle does Alyosha envision at Zosima's coffin?
4. What do one of Katarina's maids give to Alyosha in Book 3, Chapter 10?
5. Who does Mitya believe has come and hidden in Fyodor's home in Book 3, Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zosima appear when Alyosha visits him in Part 2, Book 6, Chapter 1?
2. What does Alyosha witness between a group of boys in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 3?
3. What does Fyodor say he is afraid of regarding Grushenka in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 2?
4. What is the nature of the poem Ivan says in Part 2, Book 5, Chapter 5?
5. How is Smerdyakov described in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 6?
6. What does Rakitin tell Alyosha when he runs into him in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 7?
7. What does Mitya do when Alyosha tells him of Grushenka's rudeness towards Katarina in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 11?
8. How does Fyodor react when he learns Alyosha wishes to enter the monastery?
9. How is Zosima's body described after he has died?
10. What does Grushenka's Polish lover say to her in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of the inclusion of Zosima's teachings and recordings in the book. How might these recordings give spirituality and religion a voice?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character, Smerdyakov. In what ways did the author set up Smerdyakov as an unstable character?
Essay Topic 3
The role of religion is one that is very pronounced throughout much of the book. Part 1.) How does Alysosha represent religious values in the book? Part 2.) What about the author's depiction of Zosima brings religion to the forefront in the book? Part 3.) In what way could you argue that the author presented his own voice about religion by including Zosima's teachings and speeches in the book?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)