|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mitya go after Alyosha tells him of Katarina and Grushenka's interactions in Book 3, Chapter 10?
2. What happens to the son of the man that Mitya hurt in a bar when he is at school?
3. How much money did Katarina give to Mitya after they became engaged?
4. How many boys does Alyosha see throwing rocks at another boy in the book?
5. Who does Madame Khokhlakov insist on talking with at the end of Book 4, Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the poem Ivan says in Part 2, Book 5, Chapter 5?
2. What is the nature of Alyosha's vision that he has while at Zosima's coffin?
3. What does Alyosha witness between a group of boys in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 3?
4. What does Mitya confess he did with the money Katarina gave to him in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 5?
5. What does Mitya do when Alyosha tells him of Grushenka's rudeness towards Katarina in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 11?
6. What happened to the child Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
7. Why does Mitya go to the local grocers in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 5?
8. What is Alyosha deeply disturbed by regarding his meeting with Zosima in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 1?
9. What is the nature of Fyodor's accusations at the end of Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 8?
10. How does Fyodor act towards Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme that is present throughout much of the book is the portrayal of friendship. Part 1.) What might the author be saying about the importance of having friendship in sibling relationships based on his portrayal of the Karamazov brothers? Part 2.) What is telling of the importance of friendship based on the author's portrayal of Kolya and the other boys?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character, Smerdyakov. In what ways did the author set up Smerdyakov as an unstable character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the irony of the chapter titles in the book. What reason might the author have to impart such irony?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)