|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ivan supposed to close a deal for his father in Book 5, Chapter 7?
2. What does Smerdyakov express opinions about in Book 3, Chapter 7?
3. What is the name of the woman who Mitya is leaving his fiancé for?
4. Who is said to be pursuing Mitya's fiancee now that he has begun fancying someone else?
5. Who does Madame Khokhlakov insist on talking with at the end of Book 4, Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rakitin tell Alyosha when he runs into him in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 7?
2. How are Fyodor's actions described after the death of his second wife at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Fyodor say he is afraid of regarding Grushenka in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 2?
4. What does Alyosha witness between a group of boys in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 3?
5. How does Captain Sneigiryov react when Alyosha gives him the 200 rubles from Katarina?
6. How is Smerdyakov described in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 6?
7. How does Fyodor act while at the monastery to make himself endearing in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 2?
8. Why does Mitya burst into the house in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 9?
9. How does Mitya act when he arrives to see Grushenka at a tavern in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 7?
10. What is the nature of the poem Ivan says in Part 2, Book 5, Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of religion is one that is very pronounced throughout much of the book. Part 1.) How does Alysosha represent religious values in the book? Part 2.) What about the author's depiction of Zosima brings religion to the forefront in the book? Part 3.) In what way could you argue that the author presented his own voice about religion by including Zosima's teachings and speeches in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the character Mitya. What about the nature of this character suggests that he will be the downfall of the Karamazov family?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes presented in the book is the dynamic of the father-son relationship. Part 1.) In what way is the father-son relationship portrayed abnormally in the book? Part 2.) What might the author be saying about the importance of being a good father based on the outcome of Fyodor's fate in the book? Part 3.) What reason does the author have for portraying a more realistic and normal father-son dynamic in Ilyusha and the Captain?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)