|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zosima get on his knees in front of in Book 2, Chapter 6?
2. Who does Mitya go to see to convince to give him some money in Book 8, Chapter 1?
3. Where does Mitya go after Alyosha tells him of Katarina and Grushenka's interactions in Book 3, Chapter 10?
4. What do the monks speak of involving Madame Khokhlakov's daughter and children at the beginning of Part 2?
5. What is the neighborhood not able to tell about Smerdyakov based on his demeanor and appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Alyosha's vision that he has while at Zosima's coffin?
2. How does Fyodor react when he learns Alyosha wishes to enter the monastery?
3. Why does Mitya burst into the house in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 9?
4. How does Captain Sneigiryov react when Alyosha gives him the 200 rubles from Katarina?
5. How does Zosima appear when Alyosha visits him in Part 2, Book 6, Chapter 1?
6. What does Grushenka's Polish lover say to her in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 7?
7. How does Fyodor act towards Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
8. Describe Mitya's actions at the beginning of Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 3?
9. How is Zosima's body described after he has died?
10. How are Katarina and Grushenka's actions towards each other described in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of manipulation in the book. How do characters like Grushenka and Fyodor use manipulation to accomplish their goals?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the controversy surrounding the presentation of Zosima's dead body. What about the description of Zosima's body is telling of the religious traditions of the time period?
Essay Topic 3
One theme that is present throughout much of the book is the portrayal of friendship. Part 1.) What might the author be saying about the importance of having friendship in sibling relationships based on his portrayal of the Karamazov brothers? Part 2.) What is telling of the importance of friendship based on the author's portrayal of Kolya and the other boys?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)