|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ivan say he is going to leave to go the next day in Book 4, Chapter 5?
2. Whose house does Alyosha go to at the beginning of Book 4, Chapter 4?
3. How many sons does Fyodor have from his marriages?
4. What does Fyodor behave as during the meeting with Zosima?
5. What is the name of a monk that Alyosha has great respect for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alyosha witness between a group of boys in Part 2, Book 4, Chapter 3?
2. How is Smerdyakov described in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 6?
3. How are Fyodor's actions described after the death of his second wife at the beginning of the book?
4. How does Zosima appear when Alyosha visits him in Part 2, Book 6, Chapter 1?
5. What is the nature of Alyosha's vision that he has while at Zosima's coffin?
6. What is the nature of the poem Ivan says in Part 2, Book 5, Chapter 5?
7. What does Rakitin tell Alyosha when he runs into him in Part 1, Book 2, Chapter 7?
8. How does Captain Sneigiryov react when Alyosha gives him the 200 rubles from Katarina?
9. What happened to the child Stinking Lizavetta in Part 1, Book 3, Chapter 2?
10. What does Grushenka's Polish lover say to her in Part 3, Book 8, Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of the inclusion of Zosima's teachings and recordings in the book. How might these recordings give spirituality and religion a voice?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Alyosha and Mitya. What about the differences in these characters suggest who the protagonist will be?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects Smerdyakov's suicide had on the characters. What is the possibility of Mitya being exonerated for his father's murder had Smerdyakov not committed suicide?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)