|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not found in "The Spindle, the Shuttle and the Needle"?
2. What is the "The Boots of Buffalo-Leather" a story about?
3. Why does the farmer want to get rid of the horse in "The Fox and the Horse"?
4. What do "The Willow-Wren" and "The Sole" have in common?
5. In "The Cunning Little Tailor," what animal must the tailor spend the night with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story The Ungrateful Son about? Who is the target audience?
2. Discuss the use of the colors black and white in The White Bride and the Black Bride and The Three Black Princesses.
3. What do Our Lady's Little Glass and The Hazel Branch have in common?
4. What happens to the horse in The Nail? Why? What does this signify?
5. What is understood about the maiden in The Maid of Brakel?
6. Compare Lazy Harry and Lean Lisa.
7. What is the lesson of The Crumbs on the Table?
8. What is the idea behind The Old Man Made Young Again?
9. What is the lesson behind The Three Army Surgeons?
10. What is the moral of The Owl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many marks of fairy tales or common themes. List as many as possible. Give a brief description of each and its importance within the tales. Use as many examples as possible to support each. Discuss the idea behind having several stories with the same themes or marks.
Essay Topic 2
Magic and supernatural elements are very common and very-loved in fairy tales. Discuss what types of magic are typically seen within the tales and give specific examples for each type. What purpose does magic serve in the fairy tales? Do they enrich the story? Do fairy tales function better with the magical and supernatural elements?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the popularity of fairy tales. Why have the tales survived until today? What is the appeal that they carry which has allowed them to span through many countries and over many years?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)