|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grows on the oldest daughter's nose in "St. Joseph in the Forest"?
2. In "The Cunning Little Tailor," what animal must the tailor spend the night with?
3. What is the second item the girl is given by the old woman in the cottage in "The Nixie of the Mill-Pond"?
4. What does "The Bittern and Hoopoe" try to explain?
5. What is the lesson taught in "The Three Green Twigs"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the moral of The Owl?
2. Compare and contrast Hans in The Griffin and Strong Hans.
3. What is unusual about the tale The Three Brothers if compared to other tales?
4. What is the story The Ungrateful Son about? Who is the target audience?
5. What do Our Lady's Little Glass and The Hazel Branch have in common?
6. What is the overall message in The Four Skillful Brothers?
7. What is the common element in The Lazy Spinner and The Six Servants?
8. What is Ferdinand the Faithful and Ferdinand the Unfaithful telling readers?
9. Why is the fourth child in The Sparrow and His Four Children considered to have found the best home? What message is being sent?
10. What is the lesson to be learned in Death's Messengers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the fairy tales carry hints of religion, especially Christianity. How do the Grimm Brothers express this? What exactly is said about Christianity, religion, and/or God? Research the religious lives of the Grimm Brothers and religion during the era in which they lived to further explain the use of religion. Use specific examples from specific tales. Use as many as necessary to prove the point.
Essay Topic 2
Usually people think of a fairy tale ending as being one in which the prince and the princess ride off into the sunset in a very romantic way. Romance and love are common themes that show up in fairy tales. Discuss the idea of romance and love and courtship in general. Then discuss how they are portrayed in fairy tales. Is there one type of romance and courting or are there many? What are some similar motifs in regards to this topic in the tales? Use specific examples to support each point.
Essay Topic 3
Prince Charming is not a term used specifically in the fairy tales but the idea of a Prince Charming is found in many of the tales. Discuss what the idea of a fairy tale prince is. Compare and contrast the various prince characters in the different tales. What behavioral codes do these princes tend to follow? What is the modern idea of a prince and is it similar to the idea of a fairy tale prince?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)