|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What common theme is displayed in "The Lazy Spinner"?
2. What trademark of a fairy tale does "The Riddling Tale" have?
3. What reoccurring element of fairy tales is seen in "The Six Servants"?
4. Which of the following animals is not mentioned in "The Duration of Life"?
5. What is heavily symbolized in "The White Bride and the Black Bride"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lesson behind The Three Army Surgeons?
2. Why is the fourth child in The Sparrow and His Four Children considered to have found the best home? What message is being sent?
3. What is The Twelve Apostles about?
4. What is understood about the maiden in The Maid of Brakel?
5. What is the moral behind The Three Green Twigs?
6. What is the lesson of The Skillful Huntsman?
7. What is the idea behind The Old Man Made Young Again?
8. What is the story The Ungrateful Son about? Who is the target audience?
9. Laziness is discussed in both The Three Sluggards and The Twelve Idle Servants. What is different between the two tales?
10. Discuss the use of the colors black and white in The White Bride and the Black Bride and The Three Black Princesses.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the gender roles in fairy tales. Is the damsel in distress always saved by the gallant knight? Can a princess save the poor servant boy? What are the typical roles played by female characters? What are the typical roles that male characters play? Are these roles set in stone? What determines the gender roles?
Essay Topic 2
Even today, the number three has a mystical connotation and many consider it a lucky number. The use of the number three is consistently seen throughout the many fairy tales. In the essay, first discuss the idea of the number three and what it means. Then use specific examples from different tales and explain what the use of the number three signifies in each.
Essay Topic 3
Although the fairy tales do not exactly end with the words "and they lived happily ever after," this is the general concept of the endings of fairy tales. Discuss what Happily Ever After means and how it is expressed in the fairy tales. Are the endings all similar or are there differences? Is every ending happy? If so, who is it happy for? Use specific examples to support your claims.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)