|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What act of unfaithfulness does Ferdinand the Faithful commit?
2. What is the simple moral of "The Willow-Wren"?
3. What common fairy tale element does "The Two King's Children" have?
4. Which of the following fairy tale elements is not found in "The True Bride"?
5. What happens after the boy rescues the princess in "The Drummer"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is The Twelve Apostles about?
2. What is the lesson of The Crumbs on the Table?
3. What is the lesson of The Skillful Huntsman?
4. What do Our Lady's Little Glass and The Hazel Branch have in common?
5. What is understood about the maiden in The Maid of Brakel?
6. The Star-Money and The Stolen Farthings both deal with money. How?
7. Discuss the use of the colors black and white in The White Bride and the Black Bride and The Three Black Princesses.
8. What is the moral behind The Three Green Twigs?
9. What is unusual about the tale The Three Brothers if compared to other tales?
10. What is the moral of The Two Travelers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Magic and supernatural elements are very common and very-loved in fairy tales. Discuss what types of magic are typically seen within the tales and give specific examples for each type. What purpose does magic serve in the fairy tales? Do they enrich the story? Do fairy tales function better with the magical and supernatural elements?
Essay Topic 2
Choose any fairy tale slightly longer in length and write an essay analyzing the tale in its entirety. Discuss its characters, the marks of fairy tales that are expressed, the prevalent theme, the setting, the morals, and any other aspect that can be discussed.
Essay Topic 3
The bad people in fairy tales range from evil stepmothers to wicked witches and more. List each type of evil character and give a brief description of each. What behavioral codes do these bad people follow? What are the similarities between them? What are the differences? Why are these characters always evil? Are there any instances in which the stepmother is not evil? Use specific examples to support your claims.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)