|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What magic is seen in "Sweet Porridge"?
2. What is the name of the witch in "Rapunzel"?
3. What real life reality does "The Three Little Birds" touch upon?
4. What is the negative trait expressed by the hen in "The Death of the Little Hen"?
5. For how many years is Briar-Rose asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly discuss the moral of the Story of a Youth Who Went Forth to Learn What Fear Was.
2. The idea of good overpowering evil is prevalent in many of the stories. Briefly mention a few and discuss how good triumphs over evil.
3. What are the similarities and differences between The Devil's Sooty Brother and Bearskin?
4. Discuss the differences between the two tales of The Wedding of Mrs. Fox and how each portrays Mr. and Mrs. Fox.
5. What is the lesson of The Three Sons of Fortune?
6. What lesson is being told in the story Mother Holle?
7. What is the lesson in The Raven?
8. What is the moral of The Poor Man and the Rich Man?
9. What are the similarities between The Queen Bee, The Three Feathers, and The Golden Goose?
10. Discuss Gretel's character in Clever Gretel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of good winning over evil is persistent in several stories, novels, and movies today and throughout the years. The idea that good will prevail despite hardship is also prevalent in several fairy tales. Discuss the general notion of what it means for good to preside over evil. What defines the idea of good? What actions and types of characters are generally seen as good? What defines the idea of evil? What actions and types of characters are generally seen as evil? Which fairy tales exemplify this idea? Use specific examples to support each point.
Essay Topic 2
Princesses in fairy tales are abundant. Discuss what a typical fairy tale princess is like. What are the social norms that a princess must follow? What are her physical attributes? What behavioral codes do these princesses follow? Compare and contrast the different princesses in the Grimm brother's tales. Analyze the different princesses and then compare the fairy tale idea of a princess to what a princess means in today's society. Use specific examples to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
There are many marks of fairy tales or common themes. List as many as possible. Give a brief description of each and its importance within the tales. Use as many examples as possible to support each. Discuss the idea behind having several stories with the same themes or marks.
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)