|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sticks to the maiden when she is leaving Mother Holle's home in the story Mother Holle?
2. What happens to the goat in "The Magic Table, the Golden Donkey, and the Club in the Sack"?
3. What is a common fairy tale motif found in "Brother Lustig"?
4. Which reoccurring character do we see in "The Devil's Sooty Brother"?
5. What is the proof that the prince has against the princess in "The Riddle"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What common fairy tale element is shared in The Thief and His Master, Jorinda and Joringel, and How Six Men Got On in the World?
2. What is the lesson in The Raven?
3. What is the moral of The Poor Man and the Rich Man?
4. How does King Thrushbeard trick the princess? Why?
5. The number three is used several times in some of the fairy tales. Give a brief list of which stories that use the number three, what is represented in threes, and what the number three might represent.
6. What lesson is being told in the story Mother Holle?
7. Briefly discuss the moral of the Story of a Youth Who Went Forth to Learn What Fear Was.
8. What is the similarity between The Singing, Soaring Lark, and The King of the Golden Mountain?
9. Discuss how Fitcher's Bird can be considered a dark tale.
10. Discuss the differences between the two tales of The Wedding of Mrs. Fox and how each portrays Mr. and Mrs. Fox.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evil stepmothers, beautiful maidens, and clever princes are a few examples of certain types of characters that have shown up in several fairy tales. What other character types have reappeared in the tales? Give a description of each character type and explore the different tales that use them. Compare and contrast the characters. Why did the Grimm Brothers use reoccurring characters? What roles do they play and are they realistic in any sense? Why did these characters have a set role? (For example, why is the stepmother always evil?)
Essay Topic 2
Choose any fairy tale slightly longer in length and write an essay analyzing the tale in its entirety. Discuss its characters, the marks of fairy tales that are expressed, the prevalent theme, the setting, the morals, and any other aspect that can be discussed.
Essay Topic 3
Usually people think of a fairy tale ending as being one in which the prince and the princess ride off into the sunset in a very romantic way. Romance and love are common themes that show up in fairy tales. Discuss the idea of romance and love and courtship in general. Then discuss how they are portrayed in fairy tales. Is there one type of romance and courting or are there many? What are some similar motifs in regards to this topic in the tales? Use specific examples to support each point.
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)