|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the dog in "The Dog and The Sparrow"?
2. What is something similar in "The Three Little Birds" and "The Water of Life"?
3. What common fairy tale motif is found in "Doctor Knowall"?
4. What do the rooster and hen do with the needle at the inn in "The Pack of Ragamuffins"?
5. What negative quality is expressed in "The Wolf and the Fox"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lesson in The Pink?
2. What lesson is being told in the story Mother Holle?
3. How might The Straw, the Coal, and the Bean compare to a fable?
4. What is the similarity between The Singing, Soaring Lark, and The King of the Golden Mountain?
5. Discuss the sibling bond seen in both The Twelve Brothers and Brother and Sister.
6. Discuss Gretel's character in Clever Gretel.
7. How does King Thrushbeard trick the princess? Why?
8. What is the moral of The Three Little Birds?
9. What common fairy tale element is shared in The Thief and His Master, Jorinda and Joringel, and How Six Men Got On in the World?
10. Describe the use of intelligence by the tailor in The Valiant Little Tailor.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the popularity of fairy tales. Why have the tales survived until today? What is the appeal that they carry which has allowed them to span through many countries and over many years?
Essay Topic 2
Choose any fairy tale slightly longer in length and write an essay analyzing the tale in its entirety. Discuss its characters, the marks of fairy tales that are expressed, the prevalent theme, the setting, the morals, and any other aspect that can be discussed.
Essay Topic 3
Research the lives of the Grimm Brothers and their tales and write an informative essay. Give a brief biography and be sure to answer the following questions: How? Why did the Grimm Brothers get their start in telling tales? How did their stories spread? Did the Grimm Brothers base any of the fairy tales off real-life experiences or are they all purely fictional? What was their childhood like? What about their lives as adults?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)