|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "The Willow-Wren and the Bear" a story of?
2. What happens to Faithful John when he tells the king the reason behind certain actions?
3. What real life reality does "The Three Little Birds" touch upon?
4. What does King Thrushbeard disguise as?
5. What is the overall moral in both "The Gnome" and "The King of the Golden Mountain"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony in The Water-Nixie?
2. What lessons are taught in Old Sultan?
3. Discuss how Fitcher's Bird can be considered a dark tale.
4. The Louse and the Flea and Clever Hans both use different story-telling styles than many of the other fairy tales. What techniques do they use?
5. How is the story of The Singing Bone similar to the story of Cain and Abel?
6. What does Gambling Hansel explain of the world?
7. What are the similarities between The Queen Bee, The Three Feathers, and The Golden Goose?
8. Why is The Robber Bridegroom considered a dark tale?
9. What is the lesson of The Three Sons of Fortune?
10. What theme is expressed in Wise Folks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the fairy tales do not exactly end with the words "and they lived happily ever after," this is the general concept of the endings of fairy tales. Discuss what Happily Ever After means and how it is expressed in the fairy tales. Are the endings all similar or are there differences? Is every ending happy? If so, who is it happy for? Use specific examples to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the fairy tales carry hints of religion, especially Christianity. How do the Grimm Brothers express this? What exactly is said about Christianity, religion, and/or God? Research the religious lives of the Grimm Brothers and religion during the era in which they lived to further explain the use of religion. Use specific examples from specific tales. Use as many as necessary to prove the point.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the gender roles in fairy tales. Is the damsel in distress always saved by the gallant knight? Can a princess save the poor servant boy? What are the typical roles played by female characters? What are the typical roles that male characters play? Are these roles set in stone? What determines the gender roles?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)