|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What common fairy tale motif is found in "The Singing, Soaring Lark"?
(a) A cursed princess.
(b) Supernatural elements.
(c) A handsome king.
(d) An evil stepmother.
2. What is the proof that the prince has against the princess in "The Riddle"?
(a) Three clocks.
(b) Three cloaks.
(c) Three ravens.
(d) Three drinks.
3. For how many years is Briar-Rose asleep?
(a) Five hundred.
(c) One hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
4. Why does the tailor throw the footstool in "The Tailor in Heaven"?
(a) He threw it in anger when he saw an old woman washing clothes.
(b) he threw it in joy when he saw an old woman stealing.
(c) He threw it in anger when he saw an old woman stealing.
(d) He threw it in joy when he saw an old woman washing clothes.
5. What is the lesson in "The Old Man and His Grandson"?
(a) Children are naturally cruel to their parents.
(b) Children are clever.
(c) Children follow the examples of their parents.
(d) Children never follow the examples of their parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must the sister not do for six years in "The Six Swans"?
2. In "The Juniper Tree," what present does the bird give to Marlene?
3. Which character do the young men in "The Devil's Sooty Brother" and "Bearskin" meet with?
4. Which animal plays an important role in "The Golden Bird"?
5. Most of Clever Hans uses what writing technique to tell the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony in The Water-Nixie?
2. Discuss Gretel's character in Clever Gretel.
3. How is the story of Clever Elsie misleading?
4. Discuss the sibling bond seen in both The Twelve Brothers and Brother and Sister.
5. What is the lesson of The Three Sons of Fortune?
6. What does Gambling Hansel explain of the world?
7. What are the similarities and differences between The Devil's Sooty Brother and Bearskin?
8. What is the moral of The Three Little Birds?
9. Describe the use of intelligence by the tailor in The Valiant Little Tailor.
10. What lesson is being told in the story Mother Holle?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)