|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What starts the chain reaction in "The Louse and the Flea"?
(a) The door is creaking.
(b) The dung heap is burning.
(c) The louse is scalded.
(d) The flea is weeping.
2. What happens to Faithful John when he tells the king the reason behind certain actions?
(a) He becomes blind.
(b) He dies.
(c) His tongue burns out.
(d) He turns to stone.
3. What causes the princes to turn into ravens in "The Twelve Brothers"?
(a) An evil witch puts a curse on them.
(b) Benjamin picks the twelve flowers by the cottage.
(c) Their sister picks the twelve flowers by the cottage.
(d) Their father, the king, has a curse put on them.
4. What does the maiden change herself into in "Sweetheart Roland"?
(a) A rose.
(b) A hedge.
(c) A fiddler.
(d) A princess.
5. In "Rumpelstiltskin," what does the girl promise to give to the little man?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her first child.
(c) Her second child.
(d) Her crown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What common fairy tale motif is seen in "Hans Married"?
2. What common fairy tale motif is found in "The Singing, Soaring Lark"?
3. What is one of the tests the lion suggests the king try upon the huntsmen in "The Twelve Huntsmen"?
4. What does Thumbling use as a sword in "Thumbling's Travels"?
5. Which character do the young men in "The Devil's Sooty Brother" and "Bearskin" meet with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme is expressed in Wise Folks?
2. Discuss Gretel's character in Clever Gretel.
3. What lessons are taught in Old Sultan?
4. What are the similarities and differences between The Devil's Sooty Brother and Bearskin?
5. Although Snow-White is usually told as a fairy tale to entertain little girls, what is the lesson of Little Snow-White?
6. The idea of good overpowering evil is prevalent in many of the stories. Briefly mention a few and discuss how good triumphs over evil.
7. What does Gambling Hansel explain of the world?
8. The number three is used several times in some of the fairy tales. Give a brief list of which stories that use the number three, what is represented in threes, and what the number three might represent.
9. What is the lesson in The Raven?
10. How is the story of The Singing Bone similar to the story of Cain and Abel?
This section contains 1,082 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)