|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the maiden want in "The Maid of Brakel"?
(a) A prince.
(b) A child.
(c) A husband.
(d) A daughter.
2. What does "The Bittern and Hoopoe" try to explain?
(a) The birds' behavior.
(b) The grass' behavior.
(c) The cow herder's behavior.
(d) The cow's behavior.
3. What does the rose symbolize in "The Rose"?
(a) The amount of time left before death.
(b) Eternal beauty.
(d) Superhuman strength.
4. What do the Seven Swabians carry together?
(a) A garden rake.
(b) A rope.
(c) A spear.
(d) A sword.
5. Who helps the soldier in "The Blue Light"?
(a) A dwarf.
(b) A fairy.
(c) A witch.
(d) An elf.
6. What is the third task the giant asks of the tailor in "The Giant and the Tailor"?
(a) To kill a boar.
(b) To bring a drink.
(c) To start a fire.
(d) To chop some wood.
7. What gives the prince superhuman strength in "The King's Son Who Feared Nothing"?
(a) Water from the magic stream.
(b) A ring that clamps down on his arm.
(c) The presence of the lion.
(d) An apple from the tree of life.
8. Which of the following is NOT a token the huntsman takes of the princess' in "The Skillful Huntsman"?
(a) A lock of her hair.
(d) Piece of nightgown.
9. What trademark of a fairy tale does "The Riddling Tale" have?
(a) A woman is cursed by a witch.
(b) A woman is cursed by an evil stepmother.
(c) A woman is turned into a flower.
(d) A woman marries a prince.
10. What common fairy tale element is found in "The Heavenly Wedding"?
(a) A witch.
(b) A prince on a quest.
(c) Evil stepmother.
11. What does the girl have to steal away from the old woman in "The Old Woman in the Wood"?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A key.
(c) A bracelet.
(d) A ring.
12. What is the man's third wish in "The Jew Among Thorns"?
(a) A gun that hits anything he aims for.
(b) For people to give him what he asks for.
(c) A magic fiddle.
(d) A sack of gold.
13. What grows on the oldest daughter's nose in "St. Joseph in the Forest"?
(a) Ugly hairs.
(b) A wart.
(c) A boil.
(d) Another nose.
14. For how many years do the boys sleep in "The Twelve Apostles"?
(a) One hundred.
15. What animal does not help the boy in his task to hide from the princess in "The Sea-Hare"?
(a) A fish.
(b) A fox.
(c) A raven.
(d) A hare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What common theme is displayed in "The Lazy Spinner"?
2. What does George pester the chickens to do in "The Crumbs on the Table"?
3. What is the "The Boots of Buffalo-Leather" a story about?
4. What is the true identity of the bear in "Snow-White and Rose-Red"?
5. What comes out of the loaf of bread when the rich husband cuts into it in "God's Food"?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)