|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after the boy rescues the princess in "The Drummer"?
(a) He marries someone else.
(b) He dies.
(c) He marries her.
(d) He forgets about her.
2. What happens when the boy pours hot wax on the princess' faces in "The Three Black Princesses"?
(a) They die.
(b) They are burned.
(c) They turn into swans.
(d) They turn half white.
3. What is the foundation of the story "The Glass Coffin"?
(a) Magical art.
(b) Love and romance.
(c) Bitter revenge.
(d) Wicked hatred.
4. Which Arabian Nights tale is "Simeli Mountain" similar to?
(b) Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves.
(c) Sinbad the Sailor.
(d) The Thief and the Merchant.
5. What do "The Willow-Wren" and "The Sole" have in common?
(a) They both warn against cheating to win.
(b) They both attempt to explain the way of animals.
(c) They both warn against jealousy and envy.
(d) They both attempt to explain a natural phenomenon.
6. Which character makes a supernatural appearance in "The Three Apprentices"?
(a) The Lord.
(b) The devil.
(c) Virgin Mary.
(d) An angel.
7. Who does Two-Eyes end up marrying in "One-Eye, Two-Eyes, and Three-Eyes"?
(a) An ogre.
(b) A prince.
(c) A peasant.
(d) A knight.
8. What gives the prince superhuman strength in "The King's Son Who Feared Nothing"?
(a) An apple from the tree of life.
(b) Water from the magic stream.
(c) The presence of the lion.
(d) A ring that clamps down on his arm.
9. What is the moral of "The Hare and the Hedgehog"?
(a) Treat others equally.
(b) Don't make fun of others.
(c) Do not be greedy.
(d) There is no moral. This is for entertainment.
10. What animal is injured in "The Nail"?
(a) A bird.
(b) A dog.
(c) A horse.
(d) A cow.
11. For how many years do the boys sleep in "The Twelve Apostles"?
(d) One hundred.
12. Who helps the soldier in "The Blue Light"?
(a) A fairy.
(b) A witch.
(c) An elf.
(d) A dwarf.
13. What other story is "The Flail from Heaven" slightly similar to?
(a) Jack and the Beanstalk.
(b) Hansel and Gretel.
(c) Little Red-Riding Hood.
14. What negative trait does "The Little Folk's Presents" warn against?
15. What items does the poor boy believe to be poison in "The Poor Boy in the Grave"?
(a) Milk and sweetcakes.
(b) Milk and honey.
(c) Honey and wine.
(d) Sweetcakes and wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character trait saves the princess from a life of servitude in "Old Rinkrank"?
2. Who dies in "Poverty and Humility Lead to Heaven"?
3. Which element of fairy tales is not present in "Donkey Cabbages"?
4. What does the second son in "The Four Skillful Brothers" become?
5. Who accompanies the poor man in watching over the rich man's grave on the third night in "The Grave Mound"?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)