|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the second item the girl is given by the old woman in the cottage in "The Nixie of the Mill-Pond"?
(a) A gold crown.
(b) A golden flute.
(c) A gold comb.
(d) A golden spinning wheel.
2. Which element of fairy tales is not present in "Donkey Cabbages"?
(b) An evil witch.
(c) A prince.
(d) A beautiful maiden.
3. Which of the following fairy tale elements is not found in "The True Bride"?
(a) The use of three.
(b) Talking animals.
(c) A forsaken lover.
(d) Evil stepmother.
4. Who is unable to rest in "The Stolen Farthings"?
(a) The ghost of a woman.
(b) The ghost of an animal.
(c) The ghost of a man.
(d) The ghost of a child.
5. Which Arabian Nights tale is "Simeli Mountain" similar to?
(a) The Thief and the Merchant.
(c) Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves.
(d) Sinbad the Sailor.
6. What do the pregnant women in "The Old Man Turned Young Again" give birth to?
7. What is the goose girl's true identity in "The Goose-Girl at the Well"?
(a) A witch.
(b) A swan.
(c) A nixie.
(d) A princess.
8. What do "The Willow-Wren" and "The Sole" have in common?
(a) They both warn against cheating to win.
(b) They both attempt to explain the way of animals.
(c) They both warn against jealousy and envy.
(d) They both attempt to explain a natural phenomenon.
9. What common fairy tale element is found in "The Heavenly Wedding"?
(a) Evil stepmother.
(c) A witch.
(d) A prince on a quest.
10. What gives the prince superhuman strength in "The King's Son Who Feared Nothing"?
(a) Water from the magic stream.
(b) The presence of the lion.
(c) A ring that clamps down on his arm.
(d) An apple from the tree of life.
11. Which of the following is not found in "The Spindle, the Shuttle and the Needle"?
(a) A handsome prince.
(b) An evil witch.
(c) A poor orphan girl.
(d) Magical objects.
12. What is "Strong Hans" a story of?
(a) Superhuman strength and power.
(b) Superhuman strength and intellect.
(c) Slyness and superhuman strength.
(d) Power and intellect.
13. What is the foundation of the story "The Glass Coffin"?
(a) Magical art.
(b) Love and romance.
(c) Wicked hatred.
(d) Bitter revenge.
14. Which reoccurring character appears in "The Griffin"?
15. What is the contest that the king holds for his sons in "The Three Sluggards" based on?
(c) Magical ability.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gives away the prince's identity in "Iron Hans"?
2. Who accompanies the poor man in watching over the rich man's grave on the third night in "The Grave Mound"?
3. What is the lesson in "The Hut in the Forest"?
4. What animal is the second turned into in "The Crystal Ball"?
5. What is the true identity of the bear in "Snow-White and Rose-Red"?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)