|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives away the prince's identity in "Iron Hans"?
(a) His blue eyes.
(b) His golden hair.
(c) His perfect speech.
(d) His fancy clothes.
2. In "Looking for a Bride," what test is given to three sisters to determine whether the shepherd boy will marry her?
(a) How they make cheese.
(b) How they package cheese.
(c) How they use cheese.
(d) How they eat cheese.
3. Who accompanies the poor man in watching over the rich man's grave on the third night in "The Grave Mound"?
(a) The rich man's wife.
(b) The devil.
(c) A soldier.
(d) His wife.
4. What replacement organ does the third surgeon in "The Three Army Surgeons" end up with?
(a) The tongue of a cow.
(b) The eye of a cat.
(c) The hand of a thief.
(d) The heart of a pig.
5. Where does the third sparrow live in "The Sparrow and His Four Children"?
(a) In a church.
(b) In a stable.
(c) In a garden.
(d) Near the highway.
6. What other story is "The Flail from Heaven" slightly similar to?
(a) Jack and the Beanstalk.
(b) Hansel and Gretel.
(c) Little Red-Riding Hood.
7. What literary tool is used in "The Peasant in Heaven"?
8. What is the moral of "The Hare and the Hedgehog"?
(a) Do not be greedy.
(b) Treat others equally.
(c) Don't make fun of others.
(d) There is no moral. This is for entertainment.
9. What does the donkey learn to play in "The Donkey"?
(a) A fiddle.
(b) A harp.
(c) A horn.
(d) A lute.
10. How does the girl in "The Star-Money" become rich?
(a) Money falls from the sky.
(b) She marries a prince.
(c) The Lord grants her three wishes.
(d) A poor beggar gives her money.
11. Who comes down from the heavens and forces the dead to lie back in their graves in "The Moon"?
(a) Our Lady.
(b) The Lord.
(c) St. Peter.
12. What animal does the chicken turn into in "The Ungrateful Son"?
(a) A frog.
(b) A bird.
(c) A skunk.
(d) A toad.
13. What animal is injured in "The Nail"?
(a) A dog.
(b) A horse.
(c) A cow.
(d) A bird.
14. Who rescues the poor brother in "The Turnip"?
(a) The princess.
(b) A student.
(c) The king.
(d) His brother.
15. What does George pester the chickens to do in "The Crumbs on the Table"?
(a) Beat the mistress.
(b) Run away.
(c) Eat crumbs off the mistress's table.
(d) Lay golden eggs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is heavily symbolized in "The White Bride and the Black Bride"?
2. What common fairy tale element is found in "The Lambkin and the Little Fish"?
3. What is the goose girl's true identity in "The Goose-Girl at the Well"?
4. What happens when the boy pours hot wax on the princess' faces in "The Three Black Princesses"?
5. What are the signs Death sends to the youth in "Death's Messengers"?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)