|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies in "Poverty and Humility Lead to Heaven"?
(a) The queen.
(b) The king's son.
(c) The poor man.
(d) The king.
2. What is the foundation of the story "The Glass Coffin"?
(a) Bitter revenge.
(b) Magical art.
(c) Wicked hatred.
(d) Love and romance.
3. What trademark of a fairy tale does "The Riddling Tale" have?
(a) A woman is turned into a flower.
(b) A woman is cursed by a witch.
(c) A woman marries a prince.
(d) A woman is cursed by an evil stepmother.
4. Who rescues the poor brother in "The Turnip"?
(a) The king.
(b) His brother.
(c) The princess.
(d) A student.
5. What is heavily symbolized in "The White Bride and the Black Bride"?
6. What grows on the oldest daughter's nose in "St. Joseph in the Forest"?
(a) A wart.
(b) Ugly hairs.
(c) Another nose.
(d) A boil.
7. What common fairy tale element does "The Two King's Children" have?
(a) The use of trickery.
(b) An evil stepmother.
(c) The use of three.
(d) A cursed princess.
8. Which of the following animals is not mentioned in "The Duration of Life"?
9. Where does the third sparrow live in "The Sparrow and His Four Children"?
(a) In a church.
(b) Near the highway.
(c) In a garden.
(d) In a stable.
10. What does the magician enchant to get revenge on the girl in "The Beam"?
(a) A field of flowers.
(b) The rooster.
(c) The creek.
(d) The beam.
11. What is "Strong Hans" a story of?
(a) Slyness and superhuman strength.
(b) Power and intellect.
(c) Superhuman strength and power.
(d) Superhuman strength and intellect.
12. What does George pester the chickens to do in "The Crumbs on the Table"?
(a) Run away.
(b) Eat crumbs off the mistress's table.
(c) Lay golden eggs.
(d) Beat the mistress.
13. What do "The Willow-Wren" and "The Sole" have in common?
(a) They both warn against jealousy and envy.
(b) They both attempt to explain the way of animals.
(c) They both warn against cheating to win.
(d) They both attempt to explain a natural phenomenon.
14. What replacement organ does the third surgeon in "The Three Army Surgeons" end up with?
(a) The tongue of a cow.
(b) The eye of a cat.
(c) The hand of a thief.
(d) The heart of a pig.
15. Who accompanies the poor man in watching over the rich man's grave on the third night in "The Grave Mound"?
(a) A soldier.
(b) The devil.
(c) The rich man's wife.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the simple moral of "The Willow-Wren"?
2. What do "The Story of Schlauraffen Land" and "Ditmars Tale of Wonders" have in common?
3. In "The Willful Child," what part of the child sticks out of the grave?
4. Who comes down from the heavens and forces the dead to lie back in their graves in "The Moon"?
5. Who helps the soldier in "The Blue Light"?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)