|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thumbling use as a sword in "Thumbling's Travels"?
(a) A needle.
(b) A miniature sword.
(c) A miniature fork.
(d) A pin.
2. What is the negative trait expressed by the hen in "The Death of the Little Hen"?
3. What sticks to the maiden when she is leaving Mother Holle's home in the story Mother Holle?
4. What does the first stepsister do to get her foot to fit in the golden slipper in Cinderella?
(a) Cut off her big toe.
(c) Cut off all her toes.
(d) Chop off her heel.
5. For how many years is Briar-Rose asleep?
(a) One hundred.
(c) Two hundred.
(d) Five hundred.
6. With whom does the peasant trade places when he is sentenced to be killed in "The Little Peasant"?
(a) A shepherd.
(b) Another peasant.
(c) No one.
(d) A cow herder.
7. What is a common fairy tale motif found in "The Goose-Girl"?
(a) An enchanted princess.
(b) A talking animal.
(c) God's power.
(d) An evil stepmother.
8. Where is the nixie when the children escape in "The Water-Nixie"?
9. Why do the kids let the wolf inside in "The Wolf and the Seven Young Kids"?
(a) The wolf blows the door down.
(b) The wolf says he is selling things for children.
(c) The wolf pretends to be the grandmother.
(d) The wolf makes his paw white and pretends to be the mother.
10. What is a common fairy tale motif found in "Brother Lustig"?
(a) An evil witch.
(b) Talking animals.
(c) An enchanted item.
(d) A damsel in distress.
11. What is the cracking noise heard at the end of "The Frog-King"?
(a) The coach breaking.
(b) The princess throwing the frog against the wall.
(c) The frog turning into a prince.
(d) The bands around Henry's heart breaking.
12. What is the proof that the prince has against the princess in "The Riddle"?
(a) Three clocks.
(b) Three ravens.
(c) Three cloaks.
(d) Three drinks.
13. What power did the servant in "The White Snake" receive?
(a) The ability to make princesses fall in love with him.
(b) The ability to read minds.
(c) The ability to talk to animals.
(d) The ability to understand animals.
14. What does the maiden change herself into in "Sweetheart Roland"?
(a) A fiddler.
(b) A rose.
(c) A hedge.
(d) A princess.
15. What does King Thrushbeard disguise as?
(a) A beggar.
(b) A prince.
(c) A minstrel.
(d) A king.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Gambling Hansel," what does God grant him?
2. What does Thumbling not end up inside?
3. Which character do the young men in "The Devil's Sooty Brother" and "Bearskin" meet with?
4. What happens to the goat in "The Magic Table, the Golden Donkey, and the Club in the Sack"?
5. In "The Juniper Tree," what present does the bird give to Marlene?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)