|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Robby, Mike and Cecil leave this place?
2. What advice did Cecil get when he called his mother?
3. Who shot Stavros that he went down?
4. When did Stavros die?
5. What does Robby say motivated him to work hard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robby say is the purpose of educate?
2. How does Robby say the prison environment changes after his appeals are all turned down?
3. What is it about the prison workers that makes John mad?
4. How did the botched job feel wrong from the start, according to Robby?
5. How is John's 1982 visit unusual?
6. Describe Robby's graduation.
7. What do Robby and his crew do after the robbery?
8. What does Robby say about his educate in his speech?
9. How does John describe Robby's arrest after the drug deal in Detroit?
10. What did Robby and Michael Dukes and Cecil Rice do sloppily while they were getting away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way are John and Robby American? What part of their experience is essentially American, and what other parts of their experiences are not typically American? What nationality or identity do they partake of if they are not American?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of Wideman's book about his brother? Analyze the text and make an argument. Is it a memoir? A piece of advocacy? Journalism? History? Literature? Novel? A biography? Is it dated by its material, or is it timeless?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of family in the relationship between John and Robby? Who else participates in their relationship, and who is instrumental in keeping their relationship going? How is John's solo visit to see Robby different from his visits with Judy and Jamila?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)