|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robby say he wishes people knew?
2. What did Robby, Mike and Cecil do badly, after Stavros runs off?
3. What does Robby say people in the ghetto dream about?
4. How does Robby say he tests the heroin before buying it?
5. How does Robby characterize the people he worked with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when John took a shortcut to the penitentiary?
2. How does John characterize Robby's relationship with Omar?
3. Describe Robby's travels after the robbery?
4. Who was Red Murphy?
5. What did Robby and Michael Dukes and Cecil Rice do sloppily while they were getting away?
6. What is it about the prison workers that makes John mad?
7. What does Robby say about educate for prisoners?
8. What pact did the robbers make, and how did it get broken?
9. Describe Robby's meeting with Johnny-Boy.
10. How does John describe Robby's arrest after the drug deal in Detroit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of family in the relationship between John and Robby? Who else participates in their relationship, and who is instrumental in keeping their relationship going? How is John's solo visit to see Robby different from his visits with Judy and Jamila?
Essay Topic 2
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of Wideman's book about his brother? Analyze the text and make an argument. Is it a memoir? A piece of advocacy? Journalism? History? Literature? Novel? A biography? Is it dated by its material, or is it timeless?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)