|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What degree does Robby complete?
2. Why did Robby, Mike and Cecil leave this place?
3. How does Robby meet Johnny-Boy?
4. What is John's profession?
5. To what does Robby compare himself and the other inmates?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John characterize his revision to Robby's story.
2. What pact did the robbers make, and how did it get broken?
3. How is John's 1982 visit unusual?
4. How did Robby come to believe that Stavros had a gun?
5. What does Robby say about his educate in his speech?
6. Describe Robby's relationship with Tanya.
7. What does Robby say is the purpose of educate?
8. How did the botched job feel wrong from the start, according to Robby?
9. Describe Robby's graduation.
10. What happened when John took a shortcut to the penitentiary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has American culture changed since Wideman wrote his book? Research the incarceration of blacks and describe what has changed, if anything, in the system Wideman describes.
Essay Topic 2
In what way are John and Robby American? What part of their experience is essentially American, and what other parts of their experiences are not typically American? What nationality or identity do they partake of if they are not American?
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of Wideman's book about his brother? Analyze the text and make an argument. Is it a memoir? A piece of advocacy? Journalism? History? Literature? Novel? A biography? Is it dated by its material, or is it timeless?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)