|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robby say motivated him to work hard?
2. Who else is at the site of the robbery, who wasn't supposed to be there?
3. What does Robby say happened to the people he worked with at the home?
4. What does John say inspired his first draft?
5. What do Robby, Mike and Cecil do after Stavros runs off?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Robby and Michael Dukes and Cecil Rice do sloppily while they were getting away?
2. What is it about the prison workers that makes John mad?
3. How did Robby come to believe that Stavros had a gun?
4. Why did Robby and his crew turn from drugs to crime?
5. What does Robby say about his educate in his speech?
6. What does Robby say was his impulse after the robbery?
7. How does Robby characterize his work with autistic kids?
8. What does Robby say about educate for prisoners?
9. Describe Robby's meeting with Johnny-Boy.
10. How does John describe Robby's drug deal in Detroit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to John Wideman, Robby is locked up like an animal. What other metaphors are common to "Brothers and Keepers", and what does the web of metaphorical associations tell us about Wideman and his ideas about Robby's incarceration? Does he treat the idea playfully? Is he deadly serious about it? Does he try to magnify the significance of it through metaphor? Does he try to diminish it or domesticate it?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of "Brothers and Keepers". What is this book's place in culture? What are its uses? Who is its audience? What are its limitations?
Essay Topic 3
How does John define freedom in "Brothers and Keepers", and how does he exercise his freedom? In what ways is he NOT free? How does his lack of freedom compare with his brother's? Is he just a different kind of prisoner? Is he freer because he has stayed clear of the law? Is he free because he has work that supports him? What does freedom reside in?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)