|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say doesn't feel right about this trip?
2. What does Robby say people in the ghetto dream about?
3. Who is Geraldine?
4. What is Robby's degree in?
5. What advice did Cecil get when he called his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John describe Robby's arrest after the drug deal in Detroit?
2. What does Robby say about educate for prisoners?
3. What did Robby and Michael Dukes and Cecil Rice do sloppily while they were getting away?
4. Who was Red Murphy?
5. Describe Robby's meeting with Johnny-Boy.
6. What is it about the prison workers that makes John mad?
7. How does Robby characterize his career in fencing operations?
8. How is John's 1982 visit unusual?
9. How does Robby say the prison environment changes after his appeals are all turned down?
10. What does Robby say about his educate in his speech?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast John and Robby's attitudes about money. How are they similar? How are they different? How did John change from the ghetto mentality about money to something else?
Essay Topic 2
What does John and Robby's blackness have to do with "Brothers and Keepers"? How does it affect their situation, and where, if at all, do they escape from it, or evade its influence? How is blackness defined in the book, and how do John and Robby rework the definition so that it accommodates them?
Essay Topic 3
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)