|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Robby arrested?
2. Where does John pick Robby up?
3. Who was Garth?
4. What is it the prisoners notice about children, according to John?
5. What kinds of places did Robby NOT frequent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John say about his wife and daughter?
2. Who is Garth, and what was his importance in Robby's life?
3. What happened after Robby's arrest?
4. How are Jamila and Robby related in John's mind?
5. How does John characterize Robby's temperament?
6. What does John say Jamila knows of Robby?
7. Why was Robby expelled from high school in 1968?
8. What does John say the prisoners notice?
9. Describe Robby's entrance into drugs and crime.
10. Describe the geography of "Brothers and Keepers".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast John and Robby's methods of speaking out. What do they say, when they have a chance? What are they prevented from saying? What does this tell us about the options black men have, for speaking up?
Essay Topic 2
How does John characterize his brother? What literary techniques does he use to bring his brother to life as a literary character? How does his characterization change throughout the course of the memoir, as he writes one draft and then another? What does John learn about himself and his brother in the process of trying to capture this story in writing?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast John and Robby's attitudes about money. How are they similar? How are they different? How did John change from the ghetto mentality about money to something else?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)