|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotions does John say he feels from the prisoners?
2. What does John say Robby feels about Garth's death?
3. Who were Michael Dukes and Cecil Rice?
4. What makes John think he did an unwise thing in bringing Robby to his home?
5. Who is John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John say Jamila knows of Robby?
2. What does John say about his wife and daughter?
3. Why was Robby expelled from high school in 1968?
4. How are Jamila and Robby related in John's mind?
5. Why does John say it might have been a mistake to bring Robby home with him?
6. Where does John say Robby has a place in Jamila's life?
7. What happened after Robby's arrest?
8. How does John characterize the drive to the penitentiary?
9. Who travels to the prison to visit Robby?
10. How does John describe his and his siblings' background?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate your own reading of "Brothers and Keepers"--did you resist it, or were you compelled by the story? What does your reading tell you about yourself and your interests? Use specific examples from the book to describe yourself as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
Assess the proposition that prisons are an inhumane form of retribution for crimes such as Robby's.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast John and Robby's attitudes about money. How are they similar? How are they different? How did John change from the ghetto mentality about money to something else?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)