|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Garth seem to have died of?
2. What Catch-22 was John caught in?
(a) He was expected to be black and also to fit in seamlessly.
(b) He was expected to be smart and also anti-intellectual.
(c) He was expected to have money, but he was expected not to work.
(d) He was expected to be a rebel and also a conformist.
3. What makes John think he did an unwise thing in bringing Robby to his home?
(a) He can't risk his position or reputation.
(b) He is afraid that he'll want to leave his wife to go with Robby.
(c) He is afraid of being tried as an accomplice.
(d) He doesn't trust Johnny-Boy.
4. What does John say his mother lost when Robby declined into crime?
(a) Her affection for her children.
(b) Her forgiving nature.
(c) Her patience with the racism of the system.
(d) Her faith in God.
5. What is the Homewood Avenue neighborhood?
(a) An industrial district.
(b) A shopping district.
(c) A slum.
(d) A subdevelopment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Garth?
2. What does John say Garth's death represents for Robby?
3. Who is John?
4. Who is Jake?
5. How long is Robby's prison sentence?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is John on the run as much as Robby is?
2. How does John characterize the significance of Robby's birthday?
3. How does John say he and his family act when they get to the penitentiary?
4. Why was Robby expelled from high school in 1968?
5. How does John say Robby changed his mother?
6. How does Robby characterize himself as a young man?
7. Who is Garth, and what was his importance in Robby's life?
8. What happened to Robby that he was wanted by the police?
9. What does John say the prisoners notice?
10. How does John characterize the freedom gained by escaping from a situation or place?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)