|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jamila?
(a) John's daughter.
(b) John's wife.
(c) Robby's girlfriend.
(d) John's mother.
2. What does John feel in looking at the prisoners?
3. What bothered John most about arguing with the white student?
(a) The white kid threw his blackness in his face.
(b) The white kid knew more than he did.
(c) It was clear that it didn't matter who was most knowledgeable.
(d) Nothing John said could convince the kid he was right.
4. What can't a prisoner do, no matter what?
(b) Kill time.
(c) Speak freely.
(d) Breathe free.
5. What was Robby's personality as a child?
(a) He was the loner in the family.
(b) He always wanted to have fun.
(c) He was introspective and moody.
(d) He was easy-going and duplicitous.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John say the guests are treated while they're at the prison?
2. Where does John pick Robby up?
3. What is it that unites almost all the prisoners?
4. Where did Robby's murder/robbery take place?
5. What does John notice about the prisoners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Robby that he was wanted by the police?
2. How does John characterize Robby's temperament?
3. Who is Garth, and what was his importance in Robby's life?
4. Who travels to the prison to visit Robby?
5. How does John characterize the freedom gained by escaping from a situation or place?
6. What kind of blackness was expected of John in college?
7. How does John say he and his family act when they get to the penitentiary?
8. In what way is John on the run as much as Robby is?
9. How does John treat the prisoners?
10. How does John characterize the drive to the penitentiary?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)