|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Robby's robbery-murder take place?
(a) May 1975.
(b) May 1974.
(c) November 1975.
(d) November 1976.
2. What was Robby's personality as a child?
(a) He was introspective and moody.
(b) He always wanted to have fun.
(c) He was the loner in the family.
(d) He was easy-going and duplicitous.
3. Who calls John at the beginning of the book?
(b) His sister-in-law.
(c) His mother.
(d) Michael Dukes.
4. What were prisoners prevented from doing after the revolt, according to John?
(a) Having visitors.
(b) Going outside.
(c) Making phone calls.
(d) Writing letters.
5. When did John realize the effect of Garth's death on Robby?
(b) When Robby was arrested.
(c) In childhood.
(d) A long time ago.
6. What emotions does John say he feels from the prisoners?
7. How does John say he tries to treat the prisoners?
(a) As people.
(b) As dangerous animals.
(c) As machines.
(d) As objects.
8. What form does John Wideman use for telling Robby's story?
(a) The letter.
(b) The essay.
9. How does John say he and his children and Robby act during their visit?
(a) Like strangers.
(b) Like a family.
(c) Like fellow prisoners.
(d) Like confused animals.
10. What theme runs through 'Brothers and Keepers'?
(b) Christian virtue.
11. What do the prisoners see children as, according to John?
12. What news does John get at the beginning of the book?
(a) His brother has murdered a man.
(b) His brother has received a life sentence.
(c) His brother has just finished school.
(d) His brother has shown up at his mother's house.
13. How does John say he and his family have to behavior at the prison?
(a) They are exuberant and outgoing.
(b) They have to be respectful.
(c) They have to be aggressive to get what they want.
(d) They have to be patient and persistent.
14. Where does John's family live?
15. Where was Robby arrested?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the exception to this rule?
2. How many siblings doe John have?
3. Where does the word 'jail' come from?
4. What was the Homewood Avenue district?
5. How does John measure Robby's growth?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)