|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Garth?
(a) A friend of Judy's.
(b) A friend of John's.
(c) A friend of Robby's.
(d) A prison guard.
2. Where do John and Jamila have to drive through on the way to the penitentiary?
(a) A business district.
(b) A mall.
(c) A ghetto.
3. How does John characterize his feeling about his brother?
(a) He feels like his brother is a stranger to him.
(b) He is always trying to keep himself clear of his family's troubles, but they keep finding him.
(c) He feels little or no relation with his family.
(d) In spite of the distance, he feels his brother is part of him.
4. What is it the prisoners notice about children, according to John?
(a) Their free imaginations.
(b) Their voices.
(c) Their bodies.
(d) Their eyes.
5. What does John notice about the prisoners?
(a) How impatient their movements are.
(b) How their eyes appraise everyone.
(c) How angry they seem.
(d) How submissive they become.
6. What does John say about entering and leaving the prison?
(a) He is filled with anxiety at both times.
(b) He feels like he is dying and being born.
(c) He does not like to be seen.
(d) He looks forward to both times.
7. How does John characterize the waiting room?
(a) Ugly and dirty.
(b) Modern and sterile.
(c) Disorienting and confusing.
(d) Warm and cozy.
8. What theme runs through 'Brothers and Keepers'?
(c) Christian virtue.
9. How does John characterize Robby's birthday?
(a) A day of solidarity.
(b) A day of forgetting.
(c) A day of celebration.
(d) A day of mourning.
10. How long does John say is the longest he's ever talked with his brother in his whole life?
(a) Half an hour.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Six hours.
(d) Three hours.
11. Who is Jake?
(a) John and Robby's brother.
(b) Robby's son.
(c) Judy's brother.
(d) John's son.
12. What was funny about John's trip to Maine with Robby?
(a) Judy singing old Perry Como tunes.
(b) John translating white music into black music.
(c) Robby explaining where white music took from black musicians.
(d) Robby singing black music.
13. What is the Homewood Avenue neighborhood?
(a) A shopping district.
(b) A slum.
(c) A subdevelopment.
(d) An industrial district.
14. When did John realize the effect of Garth's death on Robby?
(b) A long time ago.
(c) When Robby was arrested.
(d) In childhood.
15. How old is Jamila when she visits Robby in prison?
Short Answer Questions
1. John says that the prisoners are like him except for what?
2. What Catch-22 was John caught in?
3. Where did John go to school?
4. What does John say Jamila remembers about Robby?
5. What does John say is an inmate's worst enemy?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)