|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John say it is dangerous to drive through the Homewood Avenue district?
(b) Gun violence.
(d) Winding streets.
2. Who calls John at the beginning of the book?
(a) His sister-in-law.
(b) Michael Dukes.
(c) His mother.
3. How many years separate John and Robby?
4. Who is Jake?
(a) John and Robby's brother.
(b) Robby's son.
(c) Judy's brother.
(d) John's son.
5. What was Robby's personality as a child?
(a) He was introspective and moody.
(b) He was easy-going and duplicitous.
(c) He always wanted to have fun.
(d) He was the loner in the family.
6. What does John say Garth's status was, in the neighborhood?
(a) He was loathed.
(b) He was loved.
(c) He was misunderstood.
(d) He was feared.
7. How long is Robby's prison sentence?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 20 years.
(d) 15 years.
8. What does John notice about the prisoners?
(a) How submissive they become.
(b) How their eyes appraise everyone.
(c) How impatient their movements are.
(d) How angry they seem.
9. What does John say he does not like about the visit?
(a) The bureaucratic hassles.
(b) That it seems normal to visit a relative in prison.
(c) That they are more free than Robby even while they are there.
(d) The guards' indifference to them.
10. What does John feel in looking at the prisoners?
11. How does John say he tries to treat the prisoners?
(a) As people.
(b) As machines.
(c) As objects.
(d) As dangerous animals.
12. When did John realize the effect of Garth's death on Robby?
(a) When Robby was arrested.
(b) In childhood.
(d) A long time ago.
13. What would Robby do to make his family laugh?
(b) Put on hand-puppet shows.
(c) Impressions of famous people.
(d) Tell dirty jokes.
14. What does John say his mother lost when Robby declined into crime?
(a) Her faith in God.
(b) Her patience with the racism of the system.
(c) Her forgiving nature.
(d) Her affection for her children.
15. How does John measure Robby's growth?
(a) His marriage's changes.
(b) His manuscript's growth.
(c) Jamila's growth.
(d) His career's development.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shade of black does John say he and his siblings are?
2. Who is Jamila?
3. What caused the prison revolt in 1980?
4. Who is the exception to this rule?
5. Where was John's mother raised?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)