|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Odd tell his passenger about Odd's physical condition?
2. What pops out of the wall when Brother Timothy's body moves?
3. Why do Rodion and Odd think Jacob might be the child most in danger?
4. What happens when Rodion begins to move again?
5. How does Brother Maxwell feel about the ice creature that is trying to break into the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Odd decide to leave, who picks him up and what actually happens instead?
2. What favor does Odd ask of Ozzie?
3. What does Odd do when the creature comes out of Timothy's body? What does the creature do?
4. Why does Odd ask Ozzie to pull the car over on the highway?
5. What does Rodion translate the first door as and what is Odd's opinion of that translation? What is Rodion's opinion of it?
6. What does Rodion tell John he sees as John's problem with his son?
7. What happens when Brother Maxwell is fighting the ice creatures?
8. What happened to Flossie that has made her emotionally ill?
9. What worries Odd about John's computers that NSA took and what is Rodion's response?
10. What is the answer to the riddle of the three portraits on Mother Superior's wall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is courage? It is defined in the dictionary as: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty. How is courage demonstrated? Given what you have seen of Odd Thomas, why would one call him courageous? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss two situations, one during a situation like Odd is involved in BROTHER ODD, and one during an ordinary event, in which a great deal of courage would be needed to endure the situations.
3. Discuss the two sides to the following: Courage can be learned. One is either born with courage or not.
Essay Topic 2
Brother Odd, like many, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why? not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of BROTHER ODD and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
BROTHER ODD is one book in a series of novels involving Odd Thomas and the other characters. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)