|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting for Odd at the guest house?
2. How did Jacob's mother raise him?
3. What does Sister Clair Marie ask Odd?
4. Where does Sister Clair Marie send Odd?
5. What path does Boo take inside the wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits Odd in Chapter 4, what does Odd tell her and what does she suggest?
2. Why is Odd at a monastery, who there knows his abilities and what do they hope he can do?
3. What does Brother Knuckles tell Odd he'll do about the body and what does he ask him?
4. Where do the bodachs go at the monastery and what does one of the students say to Odd?
5. What does Odd realize as he is checking the computers at the monastery?
6. What happens the morning after Odd tripped over the monk's body about the monk?
7. What type of children are at St. Bartholomew's?
8. What does Odd decide to do about finding Timothy and how does that turn out?
9. What does Odd and the Mother Superior intend to do in anticipation of the threat?
10. What is wrong with Jacob?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as BROTHER ODD help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading BROTHER ODD? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in BROTHER ODD to discuss and compare Odd's response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Brother Odd's world to that of "real" life. What are the advantages to each world? The disadvantages?
2. In which world would you rather live in if you possess no supernatural abilities? Explain your response.
3. If you had Odd's abilities how would you use them? Use examples from Brother Odd and your own life to illustrate your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Jacob is plagued by a recurring nightmare in which a black hooded figure approaches him. Jacob often wakes from this dream in the grip of a panic. It seems Jacob is uninterested in learning the truth about the dream, perhaps afraid of finding out something he does not want to know, such as that it is his father who wants him dead.
1. Why do you think Jacob doesn't want to find out the cause of his nightmares? Use examples from the text and your own thoughts to support your answer.
2. Do you think nightmares always have a cause? Why or why not?
3. Describe a recurring nightmare you or someone you know has had. Compare it to Jacob's. How do you or the person having the nightmare deal with it?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)