|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bodach in Odd's dream become?
2. In Chapter 8, how much time does Odd estimate they have before something happens?
3. From where does Rodion claim to be?
4. What does Brother Knuckles decide to do in Chapter 8?
5. What does Odd hear when he shuts the door to the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rodion tell Odd about quantum theory?
2. What happens the morning after Odd tripped over the monk's body about the monk?
3. What does the Mother Superior suggest when Odd tells her about the bodachs and what is his response?
4. What does Odd realize as he is checking the computers at the monastery?
5. Where do the bodachs go at the monastery and what does one of the students say to Odd?
6. What does Sister Miriam tell Odd about the drawing Jacob does of a woman?
7. What does Odd find when he follows Boo from the garage?
8. What does Odd and the Mother Superior intend to do in anticipation of the threat?
9. What does Odd tell Mother Superior about Constantine?
10. What does the figure in the bell tower try to do and what is Constantine's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jacob is plagued by a recurring nightmare in which a black hooded figure approaches him. Jacob often wakes from this dream in the grip of a panic. It seems Jacob is uninterested in learning the truth about the dream, perhaps afraid of finding out something he does not want to know, such as that it is his father who wants him dead.
1. Why do you think Jacob doesn't want to find out the cause of his nightmares? Use examples from the text and your own thoughts to support your answer.
2. Do you think nightmares always have a cause? Why or why not?
3. Describe a recurring nightmare you or someone you know has had. Compare it to Jacob's. How do you or the person having the nightmare deal with it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of BROTHER ODD, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Brother Knuckles is ashamed of his past, and lives his life now in a manner that he hopes makes up for it a little bit. Having lived most of his first forty years as muscle for the mob, he had an awakening of spirit that began when he read the boss' daughter a bedtime story.
1. Based on what you have learned of Brother Knuckles' past, do you think he should be ashamed of his past? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think it is possible that a hardened mob enforcer could be moved by a children's book? Why or why not? Use examples from the text and your own experience to support your answer.
3. How common do you think a "awakening of the spirit" happens in the real world? Does Brother Knuckles decision to become a monk seem to be a reasonable choice for restitution of his past behavior? Why or why not? What else could he have done to make amends for his life?
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)