|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Odd keep feeling as he follows Boo?
2. What does Odd tell Sister Angela about Constantine?
3. What does Mother Superior think about the police's conclusion about Brother Timothy?
4. What does Odd see on Justine's face?
5. Where does Odd head after he stops his search?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Mother Superior suggest when Odd tells her about the bodachs and what is his response?
2. What type of children are at St. Bartholomew's?
3. What does Odd decide to do about finding Timothy and how does that turn out?
4. What does Odd realize as he is checking the computers at the monastery?
5. What does Jacob tell Odd when Odd presses him for information?
6. What does Odd ask Brother John and what is John's response?
7. What does Odd see when he hears a keening as he walks towards the school? What does he do?
8. What is wrong with Jacob?
9. What does the figure in the bell tower try to do and what is Constantine's response?
10. What does Odd find when he follows Boo from the garage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Odd Thomas is in many ways a larger-than-life hero. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Odd who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
A clear and prominent theme of BROTHER ODD is that of death. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of death in BROTHER ODD. What are some symbols to represent death? Are there different types of death? Is death really death? Is death an illusion or real?
2. Discuss the attitude of the following characters towards death: Odd Thomas, Sister Angela, Brother Knuckles, Brother Maxwell, Brother John, and Rodion.
3. After reading BROTHER ODD, if you thought it was an accurate portrayal of what death is, would you welcome it or run from it? Explain fully with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of BROTHER ODD, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)