|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Danticat's father's cab?
2. What is the cause of the gunfire Joseph hears in Bel Air on October 24, 2004?
3. Who took Joseph and Maxo to the airport in Haiti in the fall of 2004?
4. What is the welcome meal that Danticat's parents cook for her and Bob when they arrive in the United States?
5. Why was there no wake for Tante Denise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose house does Joseph initially take refuge in when he is in hiding in Haiti in October 2004?
2. What does Danticat's father say when, as a child, she asks him what he would like to do if he could do something other than his actual job?
3. What do some of the neighborhood gang members demand of Joseph in October 2004?
4. What happens to Joseph in Haiti in October 2004?
5. In the section "Brother, I Leave You With a Heavy Heart," why is Danticat's father concerned about Joseph?
6. Why does Tante Zi tell Joseph he could not have escaped himself?
7. In the section "Brother, I Can Speak," how does Danticat's father refer to Danticat and Bob in front of Joseph when he comes to visit in New York?
8. How does Joseph eventually convince Maxo to leave the house under cover of darkness in October 2004?
9. When Joseph visits New York in 1983, what life-changing device does he receive from the hospital?
10. What folktale about hell does Danticat recall Granme Melina telling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Danticat's family learns of Mira's terminal health diagnosis, her brother, Bob, asks Mira if he has enjoyed his life. Write an essay explaining why both this question and Mira's answer represent an anomaly in the way Danticat's family usually communications, citing specific references to the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay analyzing some of the factors that Danticat explains went awry that led to her Uncle Joseph being detained by the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol in 2004. How does Danticat feel about the events of that time period in the United States that ultimately led to Joseph's death?
Essay Topic 3
What were Joseph's and Mira's first experiences with and impressions of Americans, respectively? How do you think each man's impressions of Americans and of America changed over their lifetimes? Write an essay explaining your answer.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)