|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some of the side effects of Danticat's treatment for her illness in 1980?
2. Who is Joseph's son that has moved back and forth between the U.S. and Haiti?
3. What is Marie Micheline's husband's name?
4. What does Danticat's father decide on his drive to the airport to pick her and Bob up on the first day they arrive into the country from Haiti?
5. Where does Danticat go with her father before his doctor's appointment in the section titled "Have You Enjoyed Your Life?"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two opposite pieces of news does Danticat receive on the same day in early July 2004?
2. What eventually happens with Marie Micheline's first husband, Pressoir?
3. Why does Danticat decide not to tell her extended family about her pregnancy right away?
4. What does Danticat remember most fondly about Marie Micheline's kindness towards her as a young child?
5. In the section titled "Have You Enjoyed Your Life?", what does the herbalist Danticat's father takes her to tell her about her health?
6. Which politician does Uncle Joseph admire in the 1950s in Haiti and why?
7. Why does Joseph start to take the children in his house on simple errands with him following his laryngectomy?
8. How does Uncle Joseph first meet Tante Denise?
9. In the section titled "We're All Dying," what does Danticat's friend tell her when Danticat informs her about how ill her father is?
10. How does Danticat react when she sees her pregnancy test is positive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Marie Micheline becomes pregnant out of wedlock in 1974, Tante Denise and Uncle Joseph are distraught, and they send Marie Micheline off to a distant part of town to have the baby. What does Marie Micheline's experience and Tante Denise's and Uncle Joseph's reaction to it indicate about the cultural attitudes towards women at that time in Haitian culture? Write an essay explaining your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay analyzing the effect that Joseph's mechanical voice box, which he acquires on a trip to the United States in the early 1980s, has on the rest of his life.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Danticat's Uncle Joseph turn to religion? By the end of the book, does Joseph seem to have found the meaning he was searching for in his religious work? Write an essay explaining your answer.
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)